Van Nuys Street Racing circa mid 70's-who was there and tell your stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Nuys Street Racing circa mid 70's-who was there and tell your stories

This was brought up on another board. But, I'm curious if any of you here, were there. Here's one story

OK, back in the 70's Van Nuys Bank of America story. We're hangin out after midnite, as usual on Saturday, Street Race night, and this mid 60's Mopar gets towed in behind a Caddy with a very short piece of chain. This piece of shit's got the roof sawed off, no fenders, 1000 screws/rivets holding the hood on, motorcycle lights where the fenders used to be, torched rear wheelwells with slicks sticking out on those white-spoked Van wheels, black spray can primered, with the words "The Thing" stenciled on the doors. A huge crowd draws around this pile. I fight my way through the crowd, take a look, and say this looks like some wreck Marv would bring out. Marv fights his way through the crowd, and in his thick New York accent says, yeah, that's my fockin cah, make me a fockin race, ya focka! After a bit of negotiating, I consent to race him in my 68 big block Camaro for $100. A "grip" of money back then. I BEAT him. Holy shit. A few days later, he gets my # from someone and calls me at home in the middle of the week. Ya got my money ya focka, I wanna rematch. I meet him on a Tuesday(?) and clean his clock again for $100(big money), and AGAIN on Thursday. $300 is more than I made as a mechanic then in TWO weeks. The following Saturday(our street race night) I ask where's the "Thing"?? He says after the beating I gave him last week, he crow-barred the hood off, took his Nitrous off, and lit the car on fire in the parking lot of his shop

Re: Van Nuys Street Racing circa mid 70's-who was there and tell your stories

More! More!
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Ya gotta love them 'flip it over and burn it' stories

Comment

I cruised Whitter, Bellflower, and Van Nuys (once)... it was quite the time...

My car was total JUNK... but it was "my" car... and I thought it was fast... it wasn't even close no matter how much I embelish it in my mind it was still a 283 .060 over and Worn slam out... ( and this was the good motor ) and I had a bunch of 327's a neighbor gave me for almost nothing that were equal junk...

So that mostly left me on the side lines rooting for one or the other car... usually at the La Country Street racers gig on Sunday nights. Alpha beta parking lot, corner of Brookhurst and Orangethorpe in Fullerton. I think Big Willie let a bunch of us get arrested many times... but always managed to get us out of jail, or he got the rest out of jail... I got to wait on my father who was a Deputy at the time and the arresting officers always seem to know who I was... hmmm 2 times I played that game before the Last UGLY night...
        Kid got hurt real bad between a couple of cars in an accident.... that and the time before that we has a scooter rider get run over by someone that was running from the law... Stuff just got real hairy when the man showed up...

One of these nights they made a movie... Don't know if I was there or not... but the time frame was right... and I vaguely remember something about it... as well as going to the Opening night at the drive in... because it was "our" movie... something called "two lane Blacktop" Be honest at the time ... it was just okay... and I was way more interested in getting in my date's skirt.
        What it does represent in the opening scene is Exactly what we were doing at the time... ( Okay, or they were doing, and I was spectating ... )

Keith

Comment

Two-lane blacktop is the best movie, but it ends like crap as he shifts to second and the screen goes all shitty

Comment

Not Van Nuys, but a street race just the same.

The best street race I ever had was back in 1981 on what use to be the street everyone went to.

It was about 7 pm, still light out, I was 28 and the other driver was in his 40's, both of our rides were identical. We were stopped for a red light and had a cars in front of both of us.

All of a sudden this old man started revving it up, I look over at him and he's smiling at me, I mean whats a kid to do, so I start revving mine too.

Well now the kids in the cars in front of us are looking, they know whats going to happen, the light turns green the two cars take off and pull over so they can watch, we both floor it, and the shifters start flying.

I shifted 8 times before I got through the intersection and never went over 30; Both me and the other driver were ;D and the kids in the cars were laughing and clapping; It was great.

The vehicles were early 70's IH cab over single axles with 10 speeds in them, and we were bobtailing. True story.

grumpy

Comment

I live in southeast PA. I was up on Rt 80 one time out near the Ohio line when I came up behind 2 walking floor semi trailers I recognized as two guys who drive for my neighbor. They were clowning around (empty), slowing down to about 30 side by side and going through the gears. These big rigs had some snort; they would pull it up to about 90 or 100, then back out of it and do it again. They did it about 3 times, and traffic is backing up pretty good. I'm behind them laughing to myself cuz I know these guys and they have no clue that I'm right behind them. Finally one pulls over, and I pull up beside him. I'm in a '98 Yukon, and have to kinda lean down to get a look at him. I have my phone to my ear trying to call him, but there's no coverage. He thinks I'm calling the cops, doesn't recognize me, and decides to try run me off the road. The (stock) Yukon will only go 100, and his rig is good for a bunch more than that, so I can't get away from him, and there's no traffic to hide in. I thought I was going to die. He had every intention of putting me in the ditch, he told me later. We had a good laugh about it later, once we got it all good between us.

Sorry for the hijack.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                I live in southeast PA. I was up on Rt 80 one time out near the Ohio line when I came up behind 2 walking floor semi trailers I recognized as two guys who drive for my neighbor. They were clowning around (empty), slowing down to about 30 side by side and going through the gears. These big rigs had some snort; they would pull it up to about 90 or 100, then back out of it and do it again. They did it about 3 times, and traffic is backing up pretty good. I'm behind them laughing to myself cuz I know these guys and they have no clue that I'm right behind them. Finally one pulls over, and I pull up beside him. I'm in a '98 Yukon, and have to kinda lean down to get a look at him. I have my phone to my ear trying to call him, but there's no coverage. He thinks I'm calling the cops, doesn't recognize me, and decides to try run me off the road. The (stock) Yukon will only go 100, and his rig is good for a bunch more than that, so I can't get away from him, and there's no traffic to hide in. I thought I was going to die. He had every intention of putting me in the ditch, he told me later. We had a good laugh about it later, once we got it all good between us.

Sorry for the hijack.
                I would have caused that rig driver some serious physical damage if he tried that to me and I knew where he was from. He is going to try to kill you to avoid getting a ticket or two by running you off the road? What an ass-hat.

Comment

It was a little tense between us for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                    Be honest at the time ... it was just okay... and I was way more interested in getting in my date's skirt.
                    Jeez, Keith - - I was just interested in getting out of my diaper.............

But I do remember shutting down a friends '72 Duster slant six with Mom's '78 Regal 231 once. Friends said that was probably the most entertaining race they'd seen, mostly because it lasted long enough to really get laughing good-n-hard!

Suprised lots of stop-light wanna be's in the late '80s with my '69 Beetle though. Everyone underestimates a Bug ;)

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                    X