bench race this, junkyard sbc on big spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bench race this, junkyard sbc on big spray

so a friend of a friend has the 69 camaro, the car is setup pretty well. i forget if it has a cage or bar, and i think a minitub and ladder bars with 28" slicks. im not sure of the weight, but it does have some fiberglass and lieght wheels. it was setup with a pretty nasty bbc, but that took a dump. he claimed 9.50s all day long which i was a skeptic the whole time. so this is his latest story, tells me its one of the first years of the 305, non tpi, all stock. when i asked about the cam he told me oh a junk saturday night special cam, stock heads, headers big exhaust, and a 320 hp shot. i forget what he has for gears. i know i left a lot of variables, but what do you guys think? i dont know what the hell a saturday night special cam is, i never bought a cam because of its name. hes claiming some big numbers with this setup and says 1600$ total for "junk" "stock" 305 and the complete nos. i told my friend hes full of crap somewhere, either its not a junk 305 or its not running the numbers hes claiming im really leaning towards the later.
    so what do you think it could run, and how many passes do you think it would last?

Maybe, maybe not......I've personally ran junkyard short blocks with ported double hump heads, a Team G intake and a 750DP with headers, on a 250 shot from a NOS Cheater system and didn't have a problem.......

Here's an article from CarCraft, they hit it with a 300 shot with no problem.......

Also easy way to check his claim is ask him which Nitrous system he was using.......I don't think there is a single plate system out there that will give you a true 320hp...........
    Last edited by TC; December 9, 2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

he might be a BSer but it can be done just keeping an eye on the tune. We went similarly aggressive on a heluva lot more fragile motor (250 I6 Ford) and couldn't kill it until chad purposely leaned it out & added timing.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

my 85 t/a was a carb'd 305 and I sprayed the living crap out of it..
        it was the t5 that did not like it..

Comment

I drove 3 of the 305s..and then the early ones as someone elses. I could not leave them alone..always tinkering.

the cam is huge part of the dead engine..
          and the HO from 1984 (monte carlo SS) is a real engine, that was nice, just needed cam, kill egr, and a split holley even.

they can only do good cold..quite strange. I even added a fan that sounded like a tractor trailer clutch fan. The soak is way beyond that. I eventually went junk 350, the 305 seems it meets a dead end. bigger cylinder by the 350 amount does wonders. simply more air in the volume apparently.

there is a nice head on the HO 305..those are keepers.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 9, 2011, 06:55 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

a 305 would ping itself to death on a 50 shot , has to be a 350
            use a 92-95 tbi truck long block 215 hp 350 , those are tough as nails

Comment

but WHAT do you think it would run? this is the part im calling bs on.
              i think hes mroe of a street racer and im thinking its one of these deals, where i beat tony so my car is this fast becasue his car beat that car which should be a 12 second car, because it beat joes car that should be a 13 second car, because it beat bobs car which should run 14s because it beat a honda with a fart pipe that almost was nose to nose with a 5.0 mustang.
              this guy is talking 10.70 with his junk 305 and 320 shot. i will call it bs until i see it run the number, and then i will still call it bs on the junk 305 part. like i said the car is setup its not like he threw a bottle on a totally stock car, but i still have my doubts.
              what could it run at sea level?

Comment

10.70s? Sounds like a tall tale to me.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                  in the 1/8th... that's the part of the tale not being told. I have a tough time with "stock" early 305 heads even being usable.
                  Last edited by Beagle; December 10, 2011, 07:38 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

He may be running a 320 shot successfully doesn't mean he's making the extra 320 hp though. Years ago I think it was DF, sounds like something he would do. They took an old clapped out Duster with a 318 and sprayed the living shit out of it expecting it to exploded but had no problems with it. The reason was the spark was too weak to light it all off, basically blowing out the spark. Maybe that's why his 305 is running a 320 shot?
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Isn't there a practical limit to the power nitrous can add? Like double. If it's a 110HP engine, maybe 150HP engine with a cam and headers, then won't it cap itself around 300HP regardless of how much nitrous it's allowed to breath? It might be light weight enough with just enough gear to be pretty heady with only 300HP, but I'd be leary of even 11's.
                      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 10, 2011, 08:12 AM.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

i do remember that duster. i dont think the 320 shot is adding 320 hp to a 305, but that hotord article posted kind of supports it. i still dont believe its capable of anything faster than low 11s. unless of coarse its not the "junk" 305.

Comment

The SS MC had probably the best of the early carb'd 305 junk and it pounded out what, a screaming 180? I think the 307 Olds made more. The heads on the early 305 were the worst I've ever seen out of GM. I think they cracked when being driven off the delivery truck. I wouldn't invest in a set of head gaskets to even bolt them up. I'd spork myself in the eye first.

Last edited by Beagle; December 10, 2011, 10:04 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                            Ya I have to agree there.......The best I ever got was an 11.50..........

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              Isn't there a practical limit to the power nitrous can add? Like double. If it's a 110HP engine, maybe 150HP engine with a cam and headers, then won't it cap itself around 300HP regardless of how much nitrous it's allowed to breath? It might be light weight enough with just enough gear to be pretty heady with only 300HP, but I'd be leary of even 11's.
                              It is dependent on how much air the motor can process.......I know in the CC article they got to a point were the engine couldn't take any more nitrous, I think that was the 400hp shot when they found that out........But it did take the 300hp shot with no problem.......But then look at the guys running dual plate systems and a fogger system, they dump 1000+ hp of nitrous into the motor and not have a problem......

Comment

Working...
                              X