Tube stereo components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
    Slight butt in, but I have my great grandfather's old cabinet radio (we're talking depression era or earlier). Any chance of getting replacement tubes for it?

If not welcome, just cruise on by, nothing to see here....
    I have a tube tester somewhere, Its been a while sense I have used it.........Let me know if you try
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Mark - yeah, a lot of it has to do with the room. The accoustics in this house blow anyway, so I don't get real wound up about it. The horns are definitely a preference thing. I would up with Heresy II's and the horns are not for everyone. They do pretty good with movies though, very nice vocal projection. I can "hear" the dialog better from a horn it seems.

SBG, your accoustics in the garage are gonna suck. What if you rhino line everything? I hate what concrete does to sound... it'll take your "warm" and make it painful. I know what you mean about the sound - it's "fuller" to me. I applaud you for putting a raging badass stereo in the garage! Cleaning the carpet is gonna suck.

Wifes don't seem to get the spikes for the speakers, and pier and beam houses turn into part of the sound. Accoustic panelling - I want the spikey stuff in the next house I builds "audio room". It doubles as good padding for my cell.

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
      I have a tube tester somewhere, Its been a while sense I have used it.........Let me know if you try
      Oh man, wayback machine. Remember when Radio Shack sold tubes? Gawd, I just made myself feel old. Crabtrees electronics... several trips with Dad on Saturday mornings to test tubes and such, brings back fond memories "GD IT! STOP Cranking that knob boy, you're gonna wear out the tuner!"
      Last edited by Beagle; December 12, 2011, 10:00 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        Mark - yeah, a lot of it has to do with the room. The accoustics in this house blow anyway, so I don't get real wound up about it. The horns are definitely a preference thing. I would up with Heresy II's and the horns are not for everyone. They do pretty good with movies though, very nice vocal projection. I can "hear" the dialog better from a horn it seems.

SBG, your accoustics in the garage are gonna suck. What if you rhino line everything? I hate what concrete does to sound... it'll take your "warm" and make it painful. I know what you mean about the sound - it's "fuller" to me. I applaud you for putting a raging badass stereo in the garage! Cleaning the carpet is gonna suck.

Wifes don't seem to get the spikes for the speakers, and pier and beam houses turn into part of the sound. Accoustic panelling - I want the spikey stuff in the next house I builds "audio room". It doubles as good padding for my cell.

Oh man, wayback machine. Remember when Radio Shack sold tubes? Gawd, I just made myself feel old. Crabtrees electronics... several trips with Dad on Saturday mornings to test tubes and such, brings back fond memories "GD IT! STOP Cranking that knob boy, you're gonna wear out the tuner!"
        I refer to myself as the rank amateur, one guess as to the audiophile in my house? This illustrates... my wife's criteria for the DD she'd ride in was it had to have an excellent stereo. Honestly, she didn't care as long as the car had a great stereo. I'm still working on that, but this isn't going in the shop - if I can hear the stereo then I'm not working very hard - plus, radio reception in the shop is terrible, and the amount of dust I generate would play havoc with CDs....

MacIntosh? who's the hater of MacIntosh? certainly not I. Martin Logans with MacIntosh drivers would be the ultimate....

oh, and the "fix" after the deck is a true theater in my house.... for my wife (complete with egg crates, suspended floor, etc.)
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 12, 2011, 11:32 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I bought an internet radio - one of the 100.00 pandora things that works pretty good and you can line-out to a bigger amp. It's for between grindy noise background. I play the t.v. for background noise in the house, it is somehow comforting. In Hillsboro I can hear the highway (duh, one of the borders is I35E...) and it irritates me but just a little music buffers it out.

I've foo'd up my hearing with loud stuff and constant exposure to fans, I used to be able to hear very subtle differences. Now I'm happy if I hear it. While I was sorta teasing about the shop, I sorta wasn't. I hate what the concrete does to it, but I'm wondering about going subwoofer/satellite from the rafters and seeing if I can't get a better handle on it that way. I'm not all that picky, but bouncy squacky treble makes me jittery. Hurts my ears. The good deal is you can use the old house stereo in the garage and laptop if you can get your wireless that far. A pringles CanTenna will help that if you can't get a signal.

That's if you ever decided you might like tunes out there.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

I have my Heath Kit Tube tester and 2 scopes Home built from High School

Comment

I like this in my shop as my day off is night off. and while the city sleeps.. I rock out..

next up is the #220's http://www.sennheiserusa.com/wireles...s-rs220-502029
              Last edited by Stich496; December 12, 2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I used to care a LOT about sound quality but I played Rock 'n Roll on stage too long and in my dotage I have a whole upper mid-range that's almost gone. Not including the accompanying tinnitus - I always hear little bells (more like a high-pitched buzzer).

My first decent bass amp set up was a Wurlitzer mono juke box amp and a custom preamp made by a friend, played thru a pair of home made EV folded horns (they'd give you the plans) with 15" EV SRO drivers. It was only 30 watts but kicked butt. In a larger venue they'd mic you anyhow so it was enough. It ran a pair of KT88 power tubes - took a half hour (a bit of an exaggeration) to warm up but worth it. The KT88s were driven by two of the biggest DC capacitors I've ever seen and you had to short them out with a screwdriver every time you worked near them - they stored enough current to put you in the ER. I have a modern ss Fender Bassman 100 watt now and it's OK but not nearly as smooth.

Had a buddy with a 100 watt/channel Mac power amp IIRC) and the rest of the Mac good stuff. We both had Speakerlab 7 speakers and his were WONDERFUL with that Mac power. We'd sometimes steal the Macintosh power amp and hook it up thru a borrowed preamp and PA speakers for our PA for the band - that kicked butt too but the preamp was not up to Mac standards. My Speakerlab 7s didn't sound as good as I was just running mine with a then state-of-the-art Pioneer ss receiver. I had those speakers until we moved here - they needed some work and I gave them to my youngest son rather than move them. Don't know if he did anything with them. I should Google Speakerlab - I wonder if they're still in business.

Dan

Comment

I will never forget coming to my best friends house in High School, and Bobs Dad saying. Whats that a Blast Master Stereo, you guys dont care what it sounds like, just so it has Lots of Volume!

Bobs Dad still has his 48 Bussiness Coupe built in 1958 with a 265 chevy and a Duntov Cam ( with the hole in the side of the block) 3 speed overdrive rear end been sittng sense 1960 showing off for a School bus load of kids he said. Also Had at the time a Chevy II 375 HP sold the Tri Power GTO to get it and a Hemi Bucket TEE in the 1970's.

Comment

Working...
                  X