X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NASCAR - if only...

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
    Originally posted by HillbillySailor
    I'm a NASCAR fan, but this "parity" bullshit had got to go. That is one of the main reasons I only catch part of the race these days (if at all). They said they brough out the COT for safety, but I think they really brought it out because they got tired of all the "His car runs better than mine because it has this!" It's really simple...run what you brung. If your junk is slower than a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or whatever because they have better engines or a better areo package...that's just tough. Tell you manufacturer what's wrong and have them fix it. If NASCAR approves the fix during the same year, run with it. If they don't, better luck next year. Am I naive enough to think they'd change it back to a format like that? No, but one could always hope...
    These words are effectively what killed the Super Bird and Daytona. Pointy noses, big wings and Hemis.... It seems when one manufacturer puts together a good combination, the others whine about it. I say, "Quit whining and build a better combination." Competition builds better cars - PERIOD!

I also believe if these young drivers in todays COT's had to drive one of Pearson's or Allison's cars from 1971, they would crap themselves.

Ron
    Yeah, which is what Ford did with the Torino Talledega and the Mercury Cyclone. Those things, overall, kicked the Dodge and Plymouth winged cars asses.

I grew up watching local 1/4-1/2 mile clay oval stuff. The top teams were running late model '66-'67 Chevelle SSs, beatin' and bangin' on one another Saturday and Sunday nights. My Dad built engines for a guy running in a lower class, he had the coolest '59 Chevy Bel Air, tube chassis car, sheetmetal interior, grooved tires, oversized 327, three speed tranny, weight jacks, the whole nine yards. It was a friggin' race car! Throttle stuck once when he entered a turn during time trials, never seen a car run on the face of a wall before. He was able to pull it down when he got to the straight, kept on goin' like nothin' happened. That was a sight to see.

He ran a '55 Chevy 210 prior to the '59. This class was full of that stuff; Tri-five Chevys, Ford Victorias and comparable MOPARs. They killed a lot of cool cars, that's for sure.

The stuff today can't even hold a candle to the old stuff. To me, the early '70s were the best as every major manufacturer was involved in NASCAR. What could top 427 Chevys racin' 429 Fords and 426 MOPARS, with a 366 or 404 AMC thrown into the mix? And for the most part, each brand was fairly competitive. It truly was 'run whatcha brung'.

And if most of today's drivers had to run the old stuff, they'd surely pee themselves. Big ol' boats on bias ply tires, big horsepower, bad aero, slippin' and slidin', bumpin' and grindin', draftin'. Ah, the good ol' days.

Comment

My thoughts on Nascar sort of went to the crapper, after Bill Elliot went to Dodge. That sort of pissed me off.
      I recall reading a thing on him, and he said "it just ain't no fun no more, too damn competitive"...I used to watch the 80's races growing up with my stepdad when ever I could, watching guys like Rusty, the Hooters driver Alan K, and a few others {sorry, bad at remembering names at times} like the poor dude, #28 havoline that died in the helicopter accident.

I love watching Back in the Day on Speed channel, just with they didn't have the stupid factoid things {although at tmes, interesting} on the show.
      I'm a freak any time I can see a 72-73 fastback torino running, or especially David Pearson kicking ass in that Monetgo fastback.

As fat as the COT stuff -shrug-, I am more inline with the run what ya brung mentality, and I think if it's a RWD in the race, the production vehicle these things are "based" off of, should be as such.
      Andrew
      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Davey Allison?
        pearson was the man

Comment

Working...
        X