Rehash for a lift newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehash for a lift newbie

We've probably done this before, please excuse my inability to search. I want a garage lift and was looking at a four poster on casters, below:

Is anyone here experienced with these folks? Anything to say about them?

part 2 - is there an really compelling reason to go with non-mobile 2 post over a movable 4 post?

part 3 - I don't have juice in the garage yet, but I have two gasoline generators. If one of them won't handle the lift at 220, can I pull one leg of 110 off of each of them? I'm especially dumbass when it comes to electricity, just thinking out loud.

Thoughts?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

I picked one up from the guys in the link below a few years back, during a Thanksgiving special. At the time it was around 18 or 1900 shipped. I bought the 4 post since I didn't have a foundation or height clearance to bolt down the 2 post. Plus I just feel more comfortable under it.

It runs on 110 so a little slow going up.

I still can't take it all the way up (canopy) but man it still makes a lot of things way easier, even if I'm using a roller stool where I can't stand. I think it's sturdy enough for my use but for a biz that is going up and down all day, every day, I'd probably go with a major name brand.

I brought it home on my open trailer and with the help of some neighbors moved the heaviest parts into place on the side yard. I was able to pretty much put it together by myself and haven't had any issues with it since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	858983Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1115.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	858982Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1118.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	858981

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...t-p/ss7000.htm
    Last edited by Dignlif; December 13, 2011, 03:47 PM. Reason: chg url
    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Is anyone here experienced with these folks? Anything to say about them? nope

part 2 - is there an really compelling reason to go with non-mobile 2 post over a movable 4 post? space, whether you want to buy additional equipment to be able to do suspension work without the tires.

part 3 - I don't have juice in the garage yet, but I have two gasoline generators. If one of them won't handle the lift at 220, can I pull one leg of 110 off of each of them? I'm especially dumbass when it comes to electricity, just thinking out loud.

Run them in serially; get a gas powered, hydraulic pump; or rewire the motor to run on 110v (many of them can be rewired, they're just ssssllllllooooowwww)

Thoughts?
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 13, 2011, 03:38 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

some of those homeowner units are quite scary looking , look for mohawk or rotary
        garagejournal has tons of lift info
        lots of used units out there , but after having worked at a sdhop where 3/4 of the lifts were condemned , unless it's free , I would stay away from used lifts

Comment

I've had 2 - a 9000 lb. Gilbarco bought used for cheap and it was a BULL - but in-ground. Here in NC I couldn't go in-ground as the water table is too high so it was a 2 post from Pace Tool. Any of the homeowner units are Chinese but so far I'm OK with mine - I wish I could afford an American made unit but it was this or nothing. The pump is American which I thought was cool. Price - $1700 to my door (shipping was $300). I had to rent a forklift to unload it, however.

As mentioned - I'm not wild about 4 posts as the tires are planted on the ramps and I OFTEN need the tires off for whatever I'm doing (brakes, suspension, etc.). If you don't do that kind of work it wouldn't matter. There are accessories for lifting the vehicle off the ramps on a 4 post but that adds considerably more expense.

I also use my hoist for body work. You can get the vehicle up, work on the sides comfortably, etc. and actually SEE to apply paint on the sides of the car. The side posts are bit of a pain for that and I really liked my in-ground better but what must be must be.

I'd suggest you look at the Pace website.

Dan

Comment

mine came with a sliding jack tray, I've found it useful with a bottle jack to lift the body to put it up on jack stands for wheel removal.
            Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Start watching for going out of business Auctions and shops closing (sign of the times) their doors, I bought a near new Rotary Commercial lift at Auction when a tire shop went out of business, paid $2,200 for it and had the local Rotary dealer transport and install it.
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

i may have a 2 post lift for sale here in houston, barely used
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
                X