I hate painting in winter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate painting in winter.

I have been working on a firetruck for the wife's volunteer department, its an old Army truck that would make a killer race rig. 87 Chevy, 1 ton rear axle, 3/4 front, 4x4, diesel, auto, aluminum box with a large PTO generator that puts out 110v, 240v 3 phase, and 220v single phase (like in Europe), and a 3 phase air compressor. It was all set up for welding and we are modifying it as a rescue truck. Since she is Chief now, its intended her truck for her EMT runs.

That paint the Army uses is some tough stuff, especially on the aluminum. The sand blaster takes it off after some persuasion, but it just laughs at the DA. There was some surface rust to deal with so most of the cab had to go to bare metal, and it had two large dents I fixed.

The problem is even after heating the shop since 10am, getting it up to 80F and shooting the epoxy primer with the sheet metal temp at 70F and the air temp at 65F, it decided to run like crazy. Always an issue for me shooting paint and primer in winter up here. At least outside it was 35 today instead of teens like it has been for the last two weeks.

To top it off they made me use the stuff from NAPA, which I have never shot before, so it was a learning curve with that material. I have lots of sanding to do, and then more primer in an attempt to cover up the black, tan, green stuff all over this thing. it doesnt have to be a show truck, but I cant let it go out looking like some meth addled chimpanzee with touretts syndrome painted it.

ARRRGH... I am annoyed, but at least its all gray now.

Neat truck!

So is it a 14 bolt rear?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Dana 60 front, right?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Dana 60 front, right?
        Should be a dana 44 front, by him saying 3/4ton front.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
          ARRRGH... I am annoyed, but at least its all gray now.
          The truck or your hair?
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Army truck should have a D60 front, most had 4.56 gears and detroit lockers. Appears to have the larger D60 front hubs as opposed to the puny D44 hubs.
            Still plays with trucks....

Comment

I can only imagine the pitfalls that await you if there is any question about the quality of the work - you're married to the chief and doing work on a gubment owned vehicle, ey carumba. I don't envy you trying to heat the space with wood then shoot paint.... just don't blow the place up will ya?
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ford141 View Post
                Army truck should have a D60 front, most had 4.56 gears and detroit lockers. Appears to have the larger D60 front hubs as opposed to the puny D44 hubs.
                yep.
                and that large hub sticking out..
                I learned to call those "1.25 ton" locally..be it sarcasm less than truth, it is a tough one.

..and painting with cold outside. I would hope there is more wisdom than that. A barometer tightening is only the beginning of ignoring temperature and moving steel.

that is a summer solstice chore where I live.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Super cool truck!

I just hate winter ....
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by ford141 View Post
                    44 is a half ton front end, right? <<- Burrito (FSB) has one.

I notice whenever I heat something like the garage up it completely jacks with the humidity in the room.
                    Last edited by Beagle; December 15, 2011, 06:46 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I don't know what the army got, but the 87 suburban 3/4 4x4 I had ran a 10 bolt up front

ps thanks for the warning, I gotta shoot some primer on the volvo soon.
                      Last edited by squirrel; December 15, 2011, 07:20 AM.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Wood stove heat = DRY unless there's a humidity source in the room.

I was worried the other night when Matt and I were flying through the repair on the hood of my wife's car, it was sub freezing outside, and the waste oil furnace was keeping it over 60 in the shop - but there was a lot of air moving around and with sliding doors, my shop is far from sealed tight. It came out OK - but there's some dust in the clear - not a problem for a daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                          The truck or your hair?
                          Both... and all my projects are sitting outside, except for the Mustang that is still in bare metal.

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          I can only imagine the pitfalls that await you if there is any question about the quality of the work - you're married to the chief and doing work on a gubment owned vehicle, ey carumba. I don't envy you trying to heat the space with wood then shoot paint.... just don't blow the place up will ya?
                          The other departments up here used brushes and rollers to paint the military trucks they got, so it just has to look better than those do. Right now they wouldnt even mind the runs that are in it, because they want to get it striped and lettered with the reflective tape. There wont be an issue with how good it looks since the important people in the department have also been working on it, and they decided not to go the long way and take most of it apart. The township supervisor is on the department too, and he just wants it red. They dont want a show truck, just a red one.

I have used the wood to heat it and paint before, havent blown up yet. Might be due to the way the firebox feed from under it, and the airflow only goes one way. I also let it burn down before I start shooting, and I only heat the space to get the metal warm. It scares the hell out of me though, the last thing I want to do is burn down my shop with a firetruck in it.

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                          ..and painting with cold outside. I would hope there is more wisdom than that. A barometer tightening is only the beginning of ignoring temperature and moving steel.

that is a summer solstice chore where I live.
                          Dont have much choice in the matter. I dont like painting this time of year, even if it is in the mid 30s this week. Feels like May out there right now. They got it in September, took until the end of October to get the supplies, and it was mid November before anyone from the dept pitched in and decided what they wanted to do with it. The whole time I was telling them I need to know and get going, because it is quite a bit harder to paint in winter, and the 65 GTO is in the big shed taking up a space a boat could be using making Dave money.

I like the truck, wish I had one like it. It would be what I use to tow the drag car to the races. The kick ass generator and air compressor would allow welding and even a plasma cutter. Seriously cool rig if I could get my hands on one.

Comment

That's one capable support unit - sounds like a seriously healthy generator! nice work as always - be careful up there!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                              ...I cant let it go out looking like some meth addled chimpanzee with touretts syndrome painted it.
                              There are a few of those around for sure
                              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Working...
                              X