130 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 130 mph

When I first met Matt (formerly "Pumpkin") a couple years ago, he led me to Maxton, the Hotrod Reunion in Kentucky, and the Power Tour Stop in Chattanooga. Cool stuff.

At Maxton, I asked him, "Why don't you run Pumpkin (the car)?" He said at that time, Pumpkin The Car would go at least 130 and he didn't want to add all of the .....fades into memory what he said.

But it now comes back into play, I know now what he said. Exactly. 130 mph. The threshold.

I PM'ed Dan Stokes asking him about running Red at the new mile track and he said basically that if you go more than 130 you have to have a full roll cage and the whole racing many-point harness, etc.

So that's what Matt didn't want to do to Pumpkin the Car. And neither do I want to do all of that to Red, either.

So Dan recommended I should ask Turk or somebody about the specifics, since Dan said he's not an inspector, though very familiar with the rules.

So, in lieu of PMing Turk, I'll poll the troops and maybe Turk too if he's watching...my question is this, and I'm really only very curious, and that's all: What's so significant about 130 mph?

If I put Red on the mile track, if I had the GPS going and was watching it closely, I could go through the time trap at 129 mph. With a three-point stock factory seat belt and a helmet.

But if I really wanted to go...I have to have all of that other built-up stuff on the car.

The question is, what's so significant about 130 mph? If I lose it and get sideways at 98 mph with a stock seatbelt and no roll cage, ....... heaven forbid the outcome.

Why 130 mph? What's up with that? Why is that the number? If anything, I want it to be a little higher so I can turn Red loose on the mile track.
    Last edited by pdub; December 18, 2011, 05:00 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Its 135

The fastest you can go with a street car is 135. Anything faster gets you a conference with the man Keith Turk.I dont know why they picked 135 mph as the cutoff.

Comment

What if......well, I don't know how fast it will go in a mile.

But if it's any one bit faster than 135, what if I just do it and take a mighty good ass chewing from Keith and go back home and know that I'd done it, knowing that I won't ever do that again?

That being the case, I think I've way more than blown my cover right here talking about it....

Comment

Ya, I think you blew it by asking the question first. Don't you know you are supposed to act first, ask questions later! lol
        Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Originally posted by ford141 View Post
          Ya, I think you blew it by asking the question first. Don't you know you are supposed to act first, ask questions later! lol
          Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

Hell, I've written a song about Keith. Maybe that goes into the "plus" pile.

What can he do, kill me? By then, I'm through with the run.

Comment

Keep it up Pee Wee and we all are going to have a cage at 80. Forgiveness is easier to get if they think it was an accident or it being a ford.....luck . Just kidding , somewhere earlier when you first brought up running the mustang I said it would be close to the limit.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ever heard the phrase "Walk before you run"?, peewee?
              Last edited by studemax; December 18, 2011, 10:17 PM.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Id be more worried about Tonya myself.LOL.

Comment

135 is as good a number as any to want a cage in it... just like 11.49 in the quarter. IIRC, NHRA dropped the 11.99 to 11.49 because so many factory rides were beating on the door of needing a roll bar? Better safe than injured...

Oh - pw, you can't put the Cat back in the bottle once you let the Genie out of the bag. 135 in a mile is a good first step.
                  Last edited by Beagle; December 19, 2011, 05:18 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Hey P-Dub, I don't think you want to push Keith on the MPH limit. He's not real flexible on it and you will be told never to come back.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Yeah, that's a first class ticket to asshole-ville. Follow the rules.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

See!.... PeeDub is coming around! Race that thing!!!!!
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          135 is as good a number as any to want a cage in it... just like 11.49 in the quarter. IIRC, NHRA dropped the 11.99 to 11.49 because so many factory rides were beating on the door of needing a roll bar? Better safe than injured...

Oh - pw, you can't put the Cat back in the bottle once you let the Genie out of the bag. 135 in a mile is a good first step.
                          I've run over 135mph in quite a few of the cars I've owned over the years, no roll bar needed............

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                            Yeah, that's a first class ticket to asshole-ville. Follow the rules.
                            Yeah I'm sure I was just kidding about "just doing it." I've seen Keith work in person. No, I wouldn't rile him up and expect to live any kind of a life after that!

The first words Keith ever said to Sue Unit when I introduced her to him were, "You could have done better."

Comment

Peewee, drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X