Procomp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procomp?

Relax, I'm not planning on buying anything from them, it just seems like every time I read an article in a magazine, they seem to be using them. I think it was in Engine Masters where they build up a big sbc, I think it was a 427. They used a sbc Procomp block and I think their crank and rods. I didn't even know they made blocks. Next was a sbf article using a $150 junk yard motor, Procomp heads, Trick Flow cam and a Parker Funnel Web intake to make 400 hp. When the magazine build these motors you only see them for 1 article not every day in your driveway. Are these 1 trick ponies with Procomp parts or are they any good other then a door stop?
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

I have noticed many Procomp parts in Mag builds as well.

I have a Procomp distributor. Looks to be a decent piece, works fine and contrary to popular opinion, does not appear to be a rip off of another company's product.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

My friend BBC procomp head just dropped a valve after about 500 miles.

Comment

They're OK parts if you pay careful attention to quality. The guy who worked for ProComp and built an engine for Engine Masters using all ProComp parts had no problems at all and was a great guy.

You just need to keep an eye out on quality of the parts, you might get something that was cast poorly - they'll happily replace it for you. I think the money you save on their parts just needs to be converted into time spent assuring quality... just like with anything else.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have a Procomp Ford TFI distributor. It needed a new PIP module, TFI module, and the whole body fell apart where it's bolted together deep inside, radically altering the timing.

But once all that was fixed, it looks good...
          1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
          1997 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Bought some tall SBF polished valve covers off eGay and they turned up in a procomp box. Looked like the gasket face area had been debured with a 7" angle grinder, absolute shit, will NEVER buy anything they make again.

Comment

china dolls ..tc in 5 ..4 ..321

Comment

I took a look at one of their throttle bodies at PRI and compared it to some of the others on display. It looked like it would work OK, but there were several areas it seemed to be behind the ones from Scorpion, FAST, or Accufab (who wasn't there that year, but we contacted them later - thanks for the recommendation, Scott!). For example, it had a progressive opening, and the spring on the secondaries was wound so tightly it felt like you'd hit the throttle stop when they started to open. It was also a lot heavier and just felt clunkier, like the other guys had spent more time figuring out what points they could use to machine off anything unneeded.

I've heard some of their earlier ignition boxes didn't use automotive grade wire (or at least not stuff rated for underhood use) and had it melt. Could be they've corrected that by now.

Comment

screw accufab ....buy kinsler

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    china dolls ..tc in 5 ..4 ..321
                    I wonder how many people have had the posts wear out where the advance weights ride on a MSD distributor??.....and we're talking in less than a couple of thousand miles.........

So your saying US made is any better??..........
                    Last edited by TC; December 21, 2011, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      screw accufab ....buy kinsler
                      betting that you've used parts from neither, right?
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

ProComp is like other parts makers in that they send stuff to magazines in the hope they use it for a build. The stuff can sit around the offices forever until someone decides to give it a try since these guys are paying a ton of money in advertising every month. It's the 'what the hell, let's give these parts a try' mentality.

On top of that, they may be getting emails left and right questioning the editors if their stuff is any good.

I know ProComp has expanded their product line ten fold in the last couple years.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have a Procomp polished intake on my Monte SS 350, haven't had any issues with it. I made sure the intake ports lined up correctly, as I had heard that was an issue with some of their earlier stuff.
                          Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anotheroldgearhead View Post
                            I have a Procomp polished intake on my Monte SS 350, haven't had any issues with it.
                            Because there are no moving parts!

Just joking. Can't remember the last time I heard of an MSD electrical part working either.
                            1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                            1997 Mustang GT
                            sigpic

Comment

After getting those repackaged harland sharp rockers from Summit (no mention of repackaging before they arrived at my door)

I'm not going to take anything at face value - buy it and inspect it carefully what ever it is, and whomevers' name is on the box, if y don't like it - send it back.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X