CDMBill's pre-drag week dyno session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDMBill's pre-drag week dyno session

It's on the home page as a news item, but I figured I'd post the vid here for comments...

In a 3 day mad thrash Bill got his motor together and on the pump at The Carb Shop. Some unique things about this engine: first, it was very sensitive to timing and AFR. Once we found the right settings, it made huge power... and it had this crisp, unique sound to it that is very hard to describe. Everyone in the dyno room noticed how it sounded clean and strong once we figured out the AFRs and timing. From what I understand, engines with very good cylinder-to-cylinder consistency (airflow, etc.) display these characteristics.

Lem Evans knows what he's doing with those cylinder heads!

We monitored AFRs with 8 separate sensors. I know now, from more experience, that Bill's combo is just about the best balance you can achieve naturally, without adjusting per-cylinder fuel quantities.

The other impressive detail is that, while it makes well over 1000hp (on pump swill!), it *still* makes almost 600 ft-lbs of torque at 3500rpm!! check out the video where George starts loading the engine before the first pull, watch the torque meter zing up past 585 ft-lbs at 3000rpm... I've never seen it's equal.

I enjoyed the hell out of this trip, hanging out with Bill, Brian, Shaun, Chad, Cole, and the Vrbancic brothers is a guaranteed good time.

Last edited by dieselgeek; December 22, 2011, 12:29 PM.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

wow, does that sound good.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks for the post Scott. One of the primary reasons for the change from the single four barrel TB to the dual "quad" setup was to get better cylinder to cylinder balance which was problematic on the earlier build. We were surprised to make as much power as we did and I attribute that to all the good advice and input from the cam guys, cylinder head guru's, And of course the bang shift forum experts.

Despite what Scott writes the individual cylinder AFR traces were scary at some points.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Badass guys. That was awesome.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Sweet! How about some specs on this brute?...
          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Sounds great Bill!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
              Sweet! How about some specs on this brute?...
              engine specs (from Bill) are 588" TFS A460 heads and tunnel ram manifold, twin Accufab dominator flange throttle bodies, 11.86:1 compression, 282/294/113 Comp roller cam with .825/.815 lift. Engine built by Dougan's Racing in consulation with Lem Evans, George Klass, Wilson Manifolds, about thirty people here on Bang Shift and the Virbancic Brothers George and Bob for an amazing dyno experience.
              Last edited by dieselgeek; December 23, 2011, 01:10 PM.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

As installed!

ignore the date on the pic, because I do not have a Delorean....
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Bill thats a lot of intake duration, did you ever get the motor to nose over?
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

this thing was badass to be apart of

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                      Bill thats a lot of intake duration, did you ever get the motor to nose over?
                      it was *barely* climbing at the cutoff RPM, we were probably 200rpm away from peaking...? I can't speak to cam specs with any skill but, the engine was only slightly less tame at idle, and was a torque monster from 3000rpm on up. Definitely the broadest power curve of any of the N/A 1000+hp engines I worked on this year (there were three of 'em).

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway View Post
                        this thing was badass to be apart of
                        I wish I was there!
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                          it was *barely* climbing at the cutoff RPM, we were probably 200rpm away from peaking...? I can't speak to cam specs with any skill but, the engine was only slightly less tame at idle, and was a torque monster from 3000rpm on up. Definitely the broadest power curve of any of the N/A 1000+hp engines I worked on this year (there were three of 'em).
                          See I would think thats a problem and to much intake duration, I would like to shift it 300 rpm or so past peak and go threw the lights past peak also in a perfect world. Mine has the same issue I keep taking duration out and it keeps picking up.
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                          X