Deep and Unprofound Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep and Unprofound Thoughts

I'm looking forward to retirement, or at least I thought I was.

So I saved my time off this year and now have two continuous weeks off from work. We've called these two weeks, "Rehearsing for retirement." I haven't had two weeks off of work in 20 years, since I rode my bicycle across America, when I took four weeks in a row. I'm SO unemployed right now, but I'm not so sure thats a good thing. By that I mean, I'm not even thinking about work. Not a lick. Not a bit.

I'm starting to wonder...I think it would probably be better if I just kept on working until I get old and die. It keeps me on some sort of a decent schedule, at least. I don't think I'm all that good at this "not working" thing. I mean, really.
    Last edited by pdub; December 22, 2011, 06:47 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Get old car. Tell Unit it is a form of therapy. Take old car apart. Tell yourself it will go back together some day.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I am sure you could evolve to no work.

I went from the gruntiest enslaved grunt into hours unknown, to disabled.

the contrast was so great, I broke out in fevers not being able to move enough.

too much brings too little eventually. You seem an office work, easy going.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

no one stops working, they just stop working at places they hate

most of the retired people I know work harder in their retirement then they ever did at their jobs.... in short, they found their "cause" whether it be old cars, or playing cards, or doing good things for communities.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          no one stops working, they just stop working at places they hate

most of the retired people I know work harder in their retirement then they ever did at their jobs.... in short, they found their "cause" whether it be old cars, or playing cards, or doing good things for communities.
          Unit tied it all to a quote from a song in the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer movie, a thing about "Tomorrow."

There's always "tomorrow," as long as it has some value. I can deal with that. There's no way in this whole world I...a 130 pound guy, made the time and the space to ride a bicycle at times 200 miles per day, 130 miles per day over and over again with luggage racks on...no, there's no way I could do that. But I did because I believed it. At least I didn't believe I couldn't.

And I wrote about it in the local newspaper...welllll........the rest is history.

Tomorrow is pretty good if you believe in it. It's powerful stuff.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

200 miles in a day is a good ride.... did that in 2008 (203 miles to be exact - Seattle to Portland) wife mentioned something this year about how "long" ago that was... may have to do it again. We are so easy to manipulate
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hey P-Dub, my Dad retired a few years ago and was worried that he wouldn't be able to handle it. After about a month he was in full retirement mode. Travelling with my Mom, playing golf with his buddies all the time. He loves it.
              I R Bob
              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

PDub - I'm with Bob on this- My Dad wouldn't change a day in his retired life for a day in the working grind.

He gets up at the crack of whenever he feels like it - and sometimes stays up until the wee hours reading or researching things he's interested in on the web. He plays golf several days a week - and he has parkinsons and some pretty serious arthritus.

Any of us would take a while to get used to not having a routine.... most of us would create our own new routine -and have a blast doing it. I'm one of those that will probably be "busier" when I retire than when I was working - but I'll be doing what I want to do (hopefully working on and playing with cars and boats allot) not what some company needs me to get done.... yesterday.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                X