Reflections on 2011, gearhead goals for 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on 2011, gearhead goals for 2012

Where is the thread where we made goals for 2011? I can't get the crappy search engine to produce anything.

If my memory is flawed, it is time to start a new thread. Time to look back at last year, and think about what we want to be saying about 2012 a year from now.
    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

2011 was a great year for me.
    Got the shoebox over to Bowling Green and Louisville.

While in Bowling Green got to meet some Bangshift folks..........got to witness the
    after affects of falling out of a scaffold.

Street Rodder did a shoot at Louisville.

Phil from Omaha stopped by the house on the way to Power Tour........drank a couple
    together. Hope for repeat in 2012.

Right now Bowling Green is on the calendar.......hoping to add more events and
    meet up with more forum freaks.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

2011 was all aright here too....had a few hiccups, but I made it to Drag Week and survived, got a big block in my old truck, sold a few things, etc.

Hopefully more of the same next year!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Goal #1 - do not fall off any more scaffolding!

Working on the rest of them.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

2011 has been great for me too. Tons of road trips (Resolution for 2012 is to track out of town miles on all vehicles), HUGE promotion at work, traveled quite a bit, got an aluminum headed roller cam'd Buick 455 together in the Skylark and made it to Drag Week and back, upgraded to a crank trigger wheel and MS2/e, bought a new'ish 4x4 Silverado, blew up a Jeep 4.0L (kinda), made some progress on the OHC tech and parts, and ended the year buying a '69 Firebird and driving it 2/3 across the country.

Attended the Car Craft Anti-Tour, my Sister's highschool graduation, part of Bonneville and Drag Week.

Here's to hoping to accomplish even half of that next year.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I wanna try to make it back to Bowling Green, and the NMCA/NMRA event in Indy, other than that im gunna try to focus on my F100 so I can take it on Power Tour in 2013 or drive it to Bowling Green in 2013
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              Goal #1 - do not fall off any more scaffolding!

Working on the rest of them.
              get well soon

Comment

I don't need to search for the 2011 thread because nothing's different about the cars since a year ago. Although, I did drive the blue Merc today and raised the garage door and got a glimpse of the tan one. I'm giving myself until summer to at least get the tan Montego drivable, otherwise it may be curtains for both of them.
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

2011, wow, what a blur...

started out in January buying my 49 chevy from my pops-in-law... he found a different car he wanted, i didnt want our work to go to someone else, so i bought it.
                  350/th350, Nova 10 bolt
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	859198

so time marches on, driving 160 miles a day round trip to work....
                  until a 2 bay shop 2 blocks from home becomes available...
                  so....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00366.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	859199

Atlantic Tire & Wheel opened Sept 7, 2011

i also worked the car into my Logo
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00365.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	859200

what am i looking forward to in 2012??
                  i sure would like to get a paycheck again!!!!

also going to get my Suburban put back together after it was recovered from being stolen.
                  Last edited by 1badmonkey; December 27, 2011, 11:04 PM.
                  Charles

Comment

In 2011..

I learned all about air cooled VW motors thanks to STINEY & TheSamba forums.
                    I spent a lot of money on VW parts, got very frustrated, took a hiatus from VW's.
                    I started a new V8 S-10 project which took my mind off VW's. (I needed that)
                    Got tons of free S-10 parts. (Paid up for VW parts, STINEY hooked me up with the rest)

In 2012..

Find a good 12v Swingaxle trans, build motor, finish Dune Buggy. (Oh & drive Dune Buggy too.. maybe)
                    Get S-10 put together, make drivable? (Easier & way cheaper than Dune Buggy by far)
                    Get new garage door & new gravel for driveway.
                    Try not to die.

Comment

1. I didnt die
                      2. Didnt lose any body parts
                      3. Didnt need stitches
                      4. Got the 65 GTO painted, but it still needs assembled
                      5. Made a bit of fuel, but not near as much as I would like to have

In 12:

It would be nice if I dont croak or get incarcerated etc.

I would really like to do Drag Week or PT, but unless I drive the 98 Formula I dont see it happening. Also I would have to sleep in a tent for the entirety of both/either events.

I want to get the 65 GTO running, as well as the 65 LeMans, and also make the 79 Formula legal and something I can cruise in. It would be nice to get the Cougar going, but I also need a truck so the truck will probably be next up after the GTO.

Also need to finish the kitchen and the master bedroom. That is the January - March project.

No rest for the wicked.

Comment

:ast years thread for the interested: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...goals-for-2011

Holy cow... interesting year for me. I only nailed one of my goals from last year- I got a 4.0 over summer semester. However, I learned a TON this year, and very little of the good stuff from a class. From a hotrodding perspective it was pretty much a bust. I went from a having a running, driving racecar to a pile of parts in Dad's hanger. Things are looking up now, but I really don't feel like a setting a goal for cars for 2012. Right now life is a little too unpredictable. I'll just enjoy whatever I get to do.

Comment

From 2011:
                          1. Start making a decent amount of money again. - DONE
                          2. Get back into drawing/painting. - Not so much
                          3. Get something I enjoy driving and wrenching on. - DONE
                          4. Drive #3 as much as possible - DONE and take it to the track, even if it's slow. - Didn't make any runs with it
                          5. Enjoy life. - Not as much as I would like, but definitely a lot more than I had been

I'd put lose some weight on here, but I don't see my fat ass doing that anytime soon. - Lost 40 pounds in 7 months

For 2012 (No particular order):
                          1. Enjoy life.
                          2. Strip the TBird, get rid of the rust, and have the bodywork and swap partly done by 2013.
                          3. Make at least one pass in the Bird before it gets torn down.
                          4. Learn to weld.
                          5. Road trip. Somewhere. Anywhere. It's time to see what's out there again.
                          6. Enjoy life.

And on a personal note:
                          7. See about a girl.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Texas in Feb. to do some testing

Build the new "House/Barn"

Drag Week
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Automotive goals for 2012:

1. Get the 489 built for the truck.
                              2. Road trip it somewhere- further than 50 miles.
                              3. Drag Week has been on my list for the past few years- it is going to depend on what happens between now and then.

Personal/ professional goals:

1. Build a retaining wall behind my house to keep the yard from washing away.
                              2. Start my PhD (a personal goal- doubt it does anything for me professionally, but who knows)
                              3. Witness a live fire test at a military installation (thru work).
                              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Working...
                              X