Shop air line plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop air line plumbing

Im getting ready to plumb my shops air lines. Im tired of having to drag hoses around things.
    I think Im gonna use galvanized pipe, 3/4 mains, and 1/2 drops.

Due to the cost I thought about using PEX instead, and thoughts on that?
    I believe Ill stay away from the pvc , due to all the horror stories Ive heard of it shattering.

any other thoughts or ideas? it is a 30x40 building, with the compressor in an outside building. I have 4 high quality air hose reels (30 ft ) that I plan on using.

we should have a shop/garage /tools & equip child board!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

all the stuff at the shop i work at is galvanized - in your area I would stay away from pvc with the cold temps and water freezing in the lines
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Too bad copper costs so much, it's great for air plumbing. PEX is an interesting idea, it might work ok, some of the fittings are kind of expensive.

Beware with flexible tube that you don't have any low spots that can catch water, you want nice straight runs at a slight slope, to drain condensed water to the drains. Also if you're gonna do any painting or blasting or whatever that wants dry air, if you run that off the last connect it will be drained by the other drops before it gets there and will be nice and dry.

Are you planning to run it near the ceiling?
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

jim, the runs will be at the top of the walls, with the drops going up then down .
        Like this http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/ai...ng-diagram.pdf

would post it , but dont know how.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

It's an evil PDF file....

Intersting drawing, I'd still put a slight slope on the horizontal lines, to help drain water and prevent puddles that might suddenly spurt out
          My fabulous web page

Comment

If you notice , right beside the letter J , it says about slope.
            Reading , Pa
            Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
              Im getting ready to plumb my shops air lines. Im tired of having to drag hoses around things.
              I think Im gonna use galvanized pipe, 3/4 mains, and 1/2 drops.

Due to the cost I thought about using PEX instead, and thoughts on that?
              I believe Ill stay away from the pvc , due to all the horror stories Ive heard of it shattering.

any other thoughts or ideas? it is a 30x40 building, with the compressor in an outside building. I have 4 high quality air hose reels (30 ft ) that I plan on using.

we should have a shop/garage /tools & equip child board!
              Make sure you use a shit load of Teflon on the joints or you'll have leaks galore........

In the shops that I've owned and worked at all the lines were done in copper.......

Though, I've know places that have used PVC........

Comment

PVC is a nightmare. yes it probably the cheapest option but it leaks so much. When we get the money and time one day we are going to buy PEX. PEX has better sealing fittings.
                The youngest guy on the board
                76 vega
                86 fiero

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
                  If you notice , right beside the letter J , it says about slope.
                  You're right, I missed that. Maybe because they specify the pipe be 8" below the ceiling in a couple places, which means it's not sloped, right?
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by 64casteel View Post
                    PVC is a nightmare. yes it probably the cheapest option but it leaks so much. When we get the money and time one day we are going to buy PEX. PEX has better sealing fittings.
                    PVC seems to hold water just fine........just saying.........

Comment

air lines at shop i work at are pvc never had a problem but shop is temp controlled . the problem is freezing temp makes brittle

stuff is rated at like 140 psi at 70 degrees
                      Last edited by fabricatordave; December 31, 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

DAVE ! where the hell you been? Good to hear from you. I had a piece of sched 40 PVC lying outside for around a year. when I went to cut it it shattered....kind of turned me off of it, even though my friend BS uses it, but it heated /air conditioned.

Copper would be easy, but mucho $$$$$$$$$$ ( and I still think we need a tool/shop/equip page or sticky! )
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

The problem with pvc is that it shatters. Water under high pressure does not contain much energy because it is mostly incompressible. BUt air under high pressure contains a lot of energy, and when the pvc pipe holding compressed air shatters it will do so with explosive force, and can really hurt you.

pvc is fine for water, but not for compressed air.
                          Last edited by squirrel; December 31, 2011, 11:37 AM.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

The slope is necessary, but put a clean out valve/stop at the end so you can blow out the air lines. A refrigerant or coalescent drier would help with the moisture. I know you dont want moisture in your tools or tires.
                            OH YEAH
                            Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Typically I'm not a fan of non metallic air lines for the reason squirrel said. But years ago when I worked for a company that manufactured high speed packaging machinery that's what we use. It was snap to gather fittings by a French company. Never really had any problems.

I would not recommend PVC, I think that's asking for trouble. How ever, I think the Pex would work fine. A few years ago I was looking to have a modular house built. The contractor used Pex. I asked him about it and he said that's the only thing he uses. He said it was perfect for seasonal houses because in cold weather when water would freeze it will expand with the water and not rupture like copper. I'd recommend calling the company to verify.
                              Last edited by Huskinhano; December 31, 2011, 12:22 PM.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X