Best motorsport action camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best motorsport action camera?

I would like to see some experiences/comparisons between some of the major brands of lightweight action video camera's.
    I'm thinking GoPro, SportActioncam, Replay camera and ContourHD for instance.

Video quality is usually always good I tihnk, but I understand Sound quality is usually an issue with motorsports and will probably only be 'best' when an external microphone is used. But, which camera has the 'bestest' stock sound quality?
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

they are all disappointing... until $8000.

I did decipher some things to get one for trucking. a mil spec crash standard, and a brand name..panasonic. there is others.

with a focus on the net, it is another way to get a junk gadget. progressive frames instead of interlaced, etc etc. interlaced and 60 fps...if it really does that, it is really good.

and if the lens is not like a dslr size..it will be a fishy eyed goofy alteration from reality.

my next camera will be dslr that records, and decent weather only. for tough only, what you have listed is about all...I chose mpeg2 some editing lessons, the panasonic sdr-s10 can surive a plane wreck.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Hot Rod magazine November issue compared several action cameras and they rated the Replay XD1080 as the best audio and best overall.
      Shelter animals make great pets

Comment

Ive got a gopro now and ive only used it once so far and that was doing a walk around on my 56 F100, but I plan on using it for the local 1/8th mile drag strip and the mud drags - might even try to do some stuff with car shows and riding my 4 foot sector 9 skate board - heres the video i shot with it

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by 428FE View Post
          Hot Rod magazine November issue compared several action cameras and they rated the Replay XD1080 as the best audio and best overall.
          Yes that was before the GOPROhero 2. the 2 specs blow away everything else.
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.
          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I haven't had an opportunity to play with the new Gro Pro HD2 cameras, but I have a few of the original HD Heros and they've done really well. I like that they are fully enclosed, so I'm not scared to put them in harm's way. The replaceable lenses are cheap, and when I take them to the dirt track they tend to get sand blasted.

I just recently got the Contour camera. I was really wanting to take advantge of the GPS feature but so far it has been a bit erratic. However, you can see some footage I shot from it below to compare to the Go Pro link I put up above. I really like the way the Contour handles sound and minimizes wind noise. Color reproduction is also rich even if it isn't as vivid as the GoPro.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The Drift HD is another I've used and I'd recommend staying away from that one. No good mount for mounting on roll cages, low light resolution is poor and the microphone picks up wind noise so badly it makes the audio nearly useless. Hope this helps.

Comment

I found the HotRod camera-test through the Moparts-forum;
              At the MotorTrend How-To section, you’ll learn how to perform the car improvements you want to do, thanks to DIY knowledge on how-to make an engine more powerful, improve a suspension, have brakes stop better, and much, much more.

Last edited by BigBlockMopar; January 3, 2012, 02:14 AM.
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I love the GP2, but why do they all have to be shaped like a camera? (yeah, I know, people want a screen on the back; but link it to their smartphone, make the camera smaller) something shaped more like a flashlight would be infinitely more useful to me.

ah well...
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The original GoPro had horrible sound. It didn't matter whether we had it attached outside the car or inside, the only thing we get is wind noise.

Video quality is great.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

I can add the sound track later (mostly a bunch of cussing)
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'll have some GP video's this year of our dragster.
                      Originally posted by TC
                      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I dig the Replay xD Cameras....got a few coming to us.
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                          I dig the Replay xD Cameras....got a few coming to us.
                          that got my vote last year.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm going to figure out how to embed a video like the rest of you guys....or should I post this in th resulition thread?
                            Originally posted by TC
                            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                            X