Historic info super stock afx etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic info super stock afx etc

I have a 63 ford fairlane 500 post and want give the look as if it was a drag car (b/fx) in say 64-65. I want to keep it a small block (has a built 302) kinda like a ford version of the 289 271hp comets. I am also thinking that a car like this could have been built with many thunderbolt parts sold over the counter. Any sugetions on ware to find 64/65 b/fx rules? Would a highly modified 289 fairlane ran in b/fx or c/fx? what is a good source for a time line on speed parts? Has anyone ran a crossram 289 or 302? I am not planning on alltering the wheel base or a strait axle, I may be thinking more of a super stock
    but have seen some fx pics with normal wheel base. Idea's?

Re: Historic info super stock afx etc

I just get over my 1965 Comet Cyclone after 30 years and you remind me of it again :'(
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

A highly modified Fairlane with a 289 would have been a B/FX car.

The 427 cars were in A/FX. The C/FX car would have naturally been more tame than the other two.

The class was introduced in 1963, so if you are looking to keep the wheelbase normal, you'll want to keep to a 63/64 look. By 1965 things were getting weird and soon thereafter the category birthed the first funny cars, but like all things, in the beginning it wasn't overly outlandish.

Rules....there weren't many. The main one for B/FX was the 9-12.99lbs per cube mandated by the NHRA.

Other than that?

The motor had to match the corporate marque of the body (ford in a ford...etc) but didn't necessarily have to be a factory available combo (hence the F/X...Factory Experimental nom de plume).

The thing had to run gasoline.........go have fun kids!

By 1965 only a handful of F/X cars were being built in legal form (they were now nitro snorting funny cars) so NHRA dropped the class at the end of the 1966 season and introduced the SX classes which were the first place that early funny cars could actually compete at National Events.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I was thinking a cross ram small block, 4 speed, bench seat, torque thrusts, T-bolt hood, glass front bumper, Would like to go all light weight (no heater or wipers ect.) but am going to drive the car but want to stay as much time correct as is possible ($ and driving wise) has any one driven a crossram car on street? Would it be worth the look?

Comment

Here's a pic! This is what Shawns starting with.

Comment

Check this site out it should help!!!!!

Also the first couple T-bolts built by Tasca were 63's the 64's were done through Detroit Steel Tubing.

Hope this helps!!

Comment

Hey I don't think the old super stocks ran AFR heads back in the day bud. lol I think the cars going to come alive, you'll just have to make the car appear like an old super stock. The slots up front and blacked out steelies out back sounds great.

Comment

Here's one of my projects, just collecting parts now and then for it. I'm going to leave it as is in the looks dept. It's got a barn find T-Bolt vibe to it. The car was built in the '80s and run with a 302, then stored for a while before I bought it on Ebay a few years ago. I have a set of original Radir wheels for it when it happens, as well as Econoline buckets, an old Dixco tach and assorted other goodies. I just sold a Ford SB crossram, be prepared, they go in the neighborhood of $400-500 now, with out linkage or carbs.

Comment

Here's a link to a website with some info on the engines in the B/FX Comets. Seems they had single fours, dual quads, or Weber carb setups.

Comment

Damn not a ford guy but I love them cars, My 1st race lost was to a 64 289 4 speed car.(I got treed) :o

Comment

The photo of "Dyno Don" holding the body up with one hand is creative. He HAS to be positioned to block the body pole as those early (and that was amongst the earliest) 'glass bodies required 6 men and a small boy to move around.

Dude is one of my heroes....but he was NOT a power lifter....definitely a power shifter though.

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

A/FXer build up article, the Wilshire Shaker.

Part I http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_9-nova-2.html
                        Part II http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_9-nova2-1.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIohBNoRa-o

Comment

Working...
                        X