No announcement yet.

Shaving - it is just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped shaving for a while, usually just trim it with hair clippers when I cut my hair. When I used to shave often, I found it was easier and resulted in a better shave if I shaved in the shower and used soap as the lubricant.

I can't use electrics, they kinda hurt.

Comment

some guys may call it a curse, i call it a blessing, at 32 i still only have to shave every 2-3 days, and still just a 5 oclock shadow look then. i started with electric, and have know nothing but. i usually replace my electric every 3 years or so and have no complaints with it. quick, clean, smooth, and dry in and out of the bathroom in 5 min or so, any time of day. i too have a goatee, the less to shave the better. if you are curious as to the state of the current razor blades, go rub your wife's legs and that should tell you. i can always tell when the wife is about to buy a new razor. lol

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA552SLOW
        i can always tell when the wife is about to buy a new razor. lol

Comment

what blades do the double edge use?

Comment

I'm in the same boat, stude. My neck gets the worst of it, and I need to shave every day to meet standards. I use a Mach series razor, but I really don't think the razor is the issue. I think I need to try shaving in the shower to get the closest shave without bleeding myself half to death.
            Originally posted by A/Fuel
            I have a set of super pants, they work great!

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
              what blades do the double edge use?
              They look kind of like the stuff you use in the shop but are much thinner. Your local drugstore probably has some but likely won't have much variety.

Comment

I agree about the razor made today. Im pretty hairy, I have to shave every day, I use the Mach III it works good but I dont think as good as cheaper stuff years ago.Ive been shaving since I was 17 so I have a pretty good run on what works .

Comment

Agree, with the exception of the truly high-end stuff, the quality of most soap-and-water blade razors has diminished. IMHO it doesn't matter how many blades they have, what mach number they're capable of, what precious metal coating the blade edge has, how many heim-ends allow full-floating action, or any other Rube Goldberg-type tomfoolery. Razor blade evolution has mostly been to homogeneous low-quality crap.

My solution is to shave in the shower using a good quality shaving soap lathered on a hot wet beard with a badger-hair brush. Apologies to the badgers, it sucks having fur that makes good shaving brushes. But I tell myself that the brushes I use are made out of road kill badgers picked up by the highway dept and not animals snared by those boorish Canuck fur trappers. Although if it's a badger dumb enough to be trapped.....

At any rate, suitably heated, moistend and lathered up, I find that even cheap disposable blades will give a couple or three good close -- and mostly bloodless -- shaves. Then they get the heave-ho into the trash.
                  Last edited by mlcraven; January 2, 2012, 07:48 PM.
                  Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I'm another that shaves in the shower. It's a hell of a lot smoother and closer than the Edge jel over the sink. My wife ask me how can I do it without making my face look like it went through a cheese grater. After 35+ years of shaving the same face, I think I know it well enough by now.

Comment

I buy shop rite blades for 3 bucks , good for 3 days
                      I Boycott Warren Buffet Companies ..so Gillette is out !

Comment

I have the same problem as most no matter what razor I try from the cheap disposables to the best multi blades I'm bleeding before its over. It seems I get the best shave after about 4 days of growth about 1/4"-3/8". I will try shaving in the shower next time and see if that helps.

Comment

If I had a good enough mirror in the shower with some anti fog, I'd shave in there. I'm not quite repetitive enough with the double edge to do it blind. I've used the Merkur blade that came with it, and some Feather brand. The Feathers are definitely sharper on the first shave but seem to dull more quickly. The sharper blade also feels too aggressive on my baby face the first two shaves or so. Other than figuring that stuff out the switch has been seemless. Oddly enough shaving like my grandfather is far more entertaining. I get the best results immediately after the shower and can shave within 12 hours and have no irritation. With Mach blades I'd be bleeding like a steer at slaughter.
                          Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

I have used Mach3 for a long time, and have done well with them. My neck is more sensitive but i always shave in the shower or right when I get out mostly just using the same soap I shower with. Just picked up a new Fusion and i havnt really decided if I like it or not. Off brand generics just suck in my opinion, a real blood bath.

Comment

I use a wet/dry panasonic right after getting out of the shower. I used to get a straight blade by my ex, was the best! ( thats the only thing I miss about her! )
                              Reading , Pa
                              Good Guys rodders rep.
                              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I'm not a 5 o'clock shadow kind of guy, nor am I a baby face, but shaving 2 to 3 times a week, I get a couple months out of a Mach 3 turbo blade.
                                I always shave after I get out of the shower, because when I don't there's a big difference.

That said, I've been thinking about switching to the double edge (butterfly) razor because when I do have to buy the refills for the mach 3, it hurts the wallet.

Comment

Working...
                                X