Shaving - it is just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
    I've been a Braun dude since last century.

only thing that sucks is when the battery is zombie-dead and won't take a charge.

Tried a Remington triple-circle thing, and it left lawn-mower marks on my neck...
    Ditto. Braun rules.....I don't understand how those non-foil companies ever got off the ground with their suck-ass design. At least in my experience.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I work in a factory so I don't have to look pretty. :-) I shave every three or four days. Suonday and Wednesday .. These happen to be church days.Fortunately the wife likes any kind of wiskers. I skipped shaving in November .. Anyway my twin or tripple blade (which ever the little lady gets on sale) last about 8-10 times the last 3 is like just pulling it out but I'm just to lazy to look in the closettill it hurt really bad.I generally shave after coming out of the shower.I just lather up with the bar of Irish Spring. As you can tell I don't take it too seriously.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

After literally 45 years of facial hair I shaved for the first time on November 15th. (the day before my latest operation). Kind of a start on a new life. ME had never seen me without facial hair (full beard and 'stash) and we've been married over 20 years. Turns out she likes it so I'm stuck with shaving, at least for a while. And I'm getting more smooching, so THAT'S cool.

Back in my youthful shaving days I used a Norelco (now Phillips) and liked it so after having the groomer (oops - slipped into dog talk - I mean hair dresser) chop off the heavy stuff it was get a new Norelco and have at it. Seems to work pretty well and there's no pain or bleeding so I'll stick with it. A little splash of Sea Breeze and I'm good to go. I could use a shave by mid-afternoon but no one seems to notice but me as I can feel it. I still don't quite feel like me w/o facial fur especially when I look in the mirror but I reckon I'll get used to it.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; January 3, 2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

WAX!
          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

And I thought I was sadistic, You ladies are crazy!
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

You don't have to shave in the shower. Shave right out of the shower before drying off.
              I have been doing it for 30+ years and use BIC disposible razors. The joke in my house is the Xmas present of a dozen
              disposible BIC razors. They last a year. I shave 5 out of 7 days. I do have a beard (dark to gray) and own my own business.

Nick

Comment

Went down to the local barber supply yesterday, and bought a spanking new Merkur and a pack of blades.
                Just stepped out of the shower, lathered up, and applied some German steel to my hide.
                Brothers... I am NEVER going back to those horrible, wretched, overpriced, dull pieces of crap again!
                It's just like they say about riding a bicycle - you never forget how.
                I haven't used a double edged blades since the early 80's and it was a breeze!
                My face is smooth and slick like it should be, with no razor burn or pulled hairs.
                I FEEL MANLY! I look good, too.
                Bye-bye to those multi-bladed horrors.
                I'll be using that very heavy and beautiful Merkur from now on!
                Last edited by studemax; January 14, 2012, 01:13 PM.
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

"Crazy 'bout a Merkur-ry...."
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Normally I let it grow 2-4 days and hack a goatee out of it. Hate shaving the mustache. Never had a straight razor shave, shaved with Mach 3's until the Fusion came out. What sucks for me is my hair grows in patterns that would confuse Picasso, so I have to change which way I shave nineteen times for one shave. Last electric I tried attempted to eat my neck...I look like I lost a fight with a three-headed leech.
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I can tell time by the way my face fur grows....know it's about round noon when the stubble comes back out to say "HA!".

I, too, have noticed that the quality of the disposables has gone WAAAY down in terms of blade sharpness/durability....and while I keep a moustache/goatee(did the full-on Grizzly Adams beard thing for a while, may go back to it eventually), I keep everything else at bay....and those BIC disposables leave me looking like a slasher flick. Need to find my old safety razor, haven't seen it in years.

There isn't an electric in existence that'd I'd drop a dime on...they can;t hack through my fur, and gives me HORRIBLE bumps/ingrown hairs. BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Anyone here ever try the Burma-shave shit? Did once....best damned shave I ever had(in conjunction with that safety razor).

Comment

OK what's the trick with Merkur - double edged razors - is there some technique to it?

I'm intrigued - I really really hate spending the stoopid money on quintuple vibrating gizmo blades.... they work just ok for me, I would surely like something better!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I really hate shaving, thus I've had a beard of one kind or another for over 40 years (Oh, yeh there were two years in there when I had to shave to do my student teaching and get a job after college). Shaving always hurt especially under the chin and the neck. I had a full beard that I never trimmed, even on my neck for a long time, but when I was diagnosed with non-hodgkinds lymphoma I thought I ought to make it easier for the docs to check things out so I trimmed everything up and left only my mustache and a goatee. I have kept it that way since (6 years now). I have tried all kinds of razors and shavers but nothing seems to work very well. I bought a fancy top-of-the-line Braun and shaving with it ends with results that looked like I had shaved the day before. Of course being retired means that I don't have to shave everyday and usually don't, but when I do I would rather it didn't hurt, my face felt good and the part I shave doesn't feel like sandpaper when I'm finished. I haven't even thought about a double edged razor since I was in the 9th grade, but I think I may give it a shot. I didn't think they even made those anymore. Thanks for the suggestion.
                          Last edited by JRoberts; January 15, 2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

OK what's the trick with Merkur - double edged razors - is there some technique to it?

I'm intrigued - I really really hate spending the stoopid money on quintuple vibrating gizmo blades.... they work just ok for me, I would surely like something better!
                            Well, you've got be a little careful - but you won't cut your throat, or anything like that.
                            Let's put it this way.... in the long run, safety razors are cheaper than disposables....

Yes, the handle is more expensive (mine was $45), but the blades are $4 for a pack of 10 (two edges on each one). I should get about 5 shaves from each blade.

The disposables? Mach 3 Turbo's were over $20 for a pack of 8 (no handle), and they lasted me 3 shaves each.

So... do the math. And if you're goal is a smooth shave, not a cheap shave.... the expensive stuff works better, and is less money in the long run. Call it an investment in the handle (the actual razor body).
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
                            X