Shaving - it is just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving - it is just me?

OK, guys... in the last year, either the sharpness of all razor blades has suddenly decreased, the quality of steel has dramatically dropped, or my beard has suddenly increased its' silica content. What gives?

I CANNOT get a clean shave anymore. I can shave multiple directions, using different techniques, with different blades or creams, and I CANNOT get clean anymore. I am tired of bleeding when I'm done, and still feeling stubble an hour later. It ain't right.

What say you, brothers?
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

I don't have a lot of facial hair but what I have is very course and dark. The ONLY way I can get a clean smooth shave is after a hot shower with on of the 4 or 5 bladed jobs that cost a small fortune and I absolutly must go against the grain....otherwise I have a shadow or stubble.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm only 22 and I recently grew tired of the gimmicky options on the box store shelves. I went and bought a double edged safety razor and I'll never go back. After five shaves this thing shaves better than a brand new Mach umpteen million. The razor was $40 and is shiny chrome. Blades are about a buck a piece and last me ten or so shaves. It's fantastic. The only mistake I made was not asking my grandma for my grandfathers old razors. She still has them, so I'll be retiring my current one when I acquire those.
      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

as you get older, you approach the age of earth and steel.
        shaving is useless.

the past couple of years, I had similar subconscious thoughts. is it a late 30s thing?
        that melonininn stuff

and sideburns..where are they coming from. at this rate my face will be eyeballs and hair.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Beard!

Comment

Clean shaven, blaaahahahah!!!!!!!!

Like people really notice, and the one's that do, F'em...........

Comment

In the USAF I had to shave daily, at least my hair color is light. It grows freakishly fast too, by the midpoint of my shift I really should have shaved again, but light colored hair got me by. The only thing I could do was an electric, I get bumps from everything else. Now that I am out, I just grow a beard and keep it trimmed with an electric. The only thing I really shave is my head.

Comment

I switched to a electric razor about 7 years ago... Never looked back... I get 5 o'clock shadow around 12 noon... So I feel your pain.

What did work for me was shaving during or right after a hot shower. Opened up the pores and made the shave less painful.

After switching to an electric wet/dry, I have been very happy. No blood, bumps or redness.

Comment

I agree with the "just grow it" approach as I've gotten older. I've got the goatee and mustache, and that's nearly all I have, so I just scrape aound the edges when it needs it to make it took like I at least give a remote dang about overall appearance for work.

I saw a thing in Consumer Reports a lot of years ago, about razors. First - Consumer Reports - I guess a lot of people believe what they put out because after all they're Consumer Reports. They got a bunch of different razors and compared them and they all shave and they rated them all being good for 8 or ten shaves.

But an ex-Navy guy I used to work with, years ago he pointed out an amazing thing. It's not shaving that dulls a blade. It's oxidation, and it starts as soon as you wet it the first time. He said he kept his razor in a cup of mineral oil. I tried that and it sure a heck works for real. But it makes a real mess in the sink. So I tried another thing - just don't ever wet it. I dry shave, because I'm just hitting a few spots anyhow. Jump out of the hot shower and quick hit it because everything's still moist and soft. Five minutes later, no I couldn't dry shave without needing a blood transfusion.

I've used the same blade now for....I think at least a year. The paint's worn slam off of the glide strip thing. Just don't wet it, but I don't know how many guys could get away with that, depending on how tough your facial hair is. Unit even asked me one time, "Why don't I ever have to buy you razor blades?" Because I don't wet the one I already have.
                  Last edited by pdub; January 2, 2012, 02:46 PM.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I'm not Mr. Clean smooth guys.... I have a mustache and my beard has got a Kentucky colonel thing going on... but the rest, I like to shave at least every other day....

I think I am actually pulling my beard hairs out with the razor... and I've been shaving since 1971.

Comment

I wonder if you are getting the beginnings of off shore produced blades? Gillette which has HQ in Boston makes lots of their stuff overseas now.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I've been a Braun dude since last century.

only thing that sucks is when the battery is zombie-dead and won't take a charge.

Tried a Remington triple-circle thing, and it left lawn-mower marks on my neck...
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                          I'm only 22 and I recently grew tired of the gimmicky options on the box store shelves. I went and bought a double edged safety razor and I'll never go back. After five shaves this thing shaves better than a brand new Mach umpteen million. The razor was $40 and is shiny chrome. Blades are about a buck a piece and last me ten or so shaves. It's fantastic. The only mistake I made was not asking my grandma for my grandfathers old razors. She still has them, so I'll be retiring my current one when I acquire those.
                          Same here. I switched to a double edge razor over four years ago and couldn't believe the difference. I can't stand all the other gimmicky junk or their ridiculous prices. Along with a cheapo reproduction safety razor, I also grabbed a legit 1940's Gillette razor handle off eBay for $8. They were made in the USA, Canada and England. I think the model I have was the same one that was standard issue for the Allies in WWII. There are plenty like it and others floating around for cheap.

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                          I wonder if you are getting the beginnings of off shore produced blades? Gillette which has HQ in Boston makes lots of their stuff overseas now.
                          I haven't been able to find domestic blades. However, I visited a local die casting company in Montreal that produces the aluminum handles for some of Gillette's razors. The handles are neat but the $10+ cartridges is plain robbery.

Some of the better double edge blades available now are (allegedly) made in Germany and Russia. I have used the Merkur brand (German) and recently bought 100 blades for $40 by Astra (Russian) from a mail-order barber supplier. I can't get decent blades at my drugstore.

I've thought about resharpening some old straight razors or perhaps making my own to get away from disposable blades. I haven't made the leap yet but I think I got the technique down with a straight-razor style handle that holds half of a double edge blade.

Anyone else here using shaving soap and a brush? I luvs it!

Comment

Had one of those back in the day.
                            Gotta find some blades and give it a try....

Comment

Have you tried a straight edge? My wife was a barber for a long tim and she has done my head and face with a straight edge....amazingly smooth...but takes a lot of practice.
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X