Tesla Coils..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Coils..........

So this is the deal, yesterday the wife walks into my office and says, "your kids doing a report in Science on Nikola Tesla and his tesla coil invention and he told his teacher your building a tesla coil for his demonstration"..........Now to be honest here my kid did tell me a few weeks ago he was doing a report on Tesla and the Tesla Coil, but what didn't register was that he wanted me to build him a Tesla Coil for his class demonstration.......So I basically have a week now to build one, so of course I did what every red blooded American dad would do to not let his kid down and went searching for a Tesla Coil Kit on the internet......I found one, the price well lets just say, it's worth it for the time constrains I have.......Plus it comes with everything I need and a nice step-by-step construction manual for putting it together..... So the plan is to get the kit shipped to me by this weekend, put it together and test it so he can do his demonstration on Monday when he gets back to school after the winter break.........

And just like with the MS ECM I'm building I'll share the step by step construction of this Tesla Coil, with "hopefully" a nice video presentation at the end............

Here's a little teaser pic that they use at the site I got the kit from......

Last edited by TC; January 2, 2012, 10:16 PM.

You know the common spark on a spark plug is often generated by a tesla coil? Just get an external coil from an old car, wire up 9v-12v to it with a momentary switch that's normally off (open) and hook a spark plug up to the common ground with the coil. Not as awesome as above, but simple and functional.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
      You know the common spark on a spark plug is often generated by a tesla coil? Just get an external coil from an old car, wire up 9v-12v to it with a momentary switch that's normally off (open) and hook a spark plug up to the common ground with the coil. Not as awesome as above, but simple and functional.
      I thought of that already, but I'm just not thinking it's going to be as impressive to an 11 year old as this is going to be........and them watching as I make a 4 foot florescent bulb light up with no wires will amaze them.........

and the thing is the kit seems so simple that I think I could have him assemble it and look over his shoulder to make sure it's getting done right, and then I'll take over when it's time to power it up.........

Comment

Visit teslacoil.com for some good video. Jeff is a leader in the tesla coil Hollywood special effects arena. I built several coils back in the 80's and 90's. Plenty of info available on the net. Please be careful, its a hobby where you only get one mistake.
        Shelter animals make great pets

Comment

Originally posted by 428FE View Post
          Visit teslacoil.com for some good video. Jeff is a leader in the tesla coil Hollywood special effects arena. I built several coils back in the 80's and 90's. Plenty of info available on the net. Please be careful, its a hobby where you only get one mistake.
          Yes safety is always #1!!!!

And thanks for the link, I will check it out.....

Comment

SHOCKING! (Somebody had to say it). Tesla was The Man in early electricity, for sure. He got into AC early on and his discoveries made the modern electrified world possible. Guess I'm kind of a Tesla groupie.

Hope everything arrives on time.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              SHOCKING! (Somebody had to say it). Tesla was The Man in early electricity, for sure. He got into AC early on and his discoveries made the modern electrified world possible. Guess I'm kind of a Tesla groupie.

Hope everything arrives on time.

Dan
              A biography on Tesla was one of the BEST books I've read.

Comment

Randall - There's a bio out there on Harry Miller (front drive Indy cars, Miller carbs, and other amazing accomplishments). I read it in HS and it was a WAY cool book that I bet you would enjoy. He developed an early front wheel drive compact car in the 30's that was WAY ahead of it's time - just one of many things no one knows about him.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Randall - There's a bio out there on Harry Miller (front drive Indy cars, Miller carbs, and other amazing accomplishments). I read it in HS and it was a WAY cool book that I bet you would enjoy. He developed an early front wheel drive compact car in the 30's that was WAY ahead of it's time - just one of many things no one knows about him.

Dan
                  interesting people.

miller just seemed to do..tesla thunk a bit more.

I have deciphered balanced minds are sourrounded by war in the past, else we get products without an even keel. one way or another, history is an asshole.

at least we got some. they linger on way too feaking long, but hey.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 3, 2012, 10:37 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

take some video cheech and lets see how it turns out

Comment

Will the kid get in trouble for something his dad obviously assembled? make the kid do the assembly!! I had my G/F's 10 year old kid cranking out reliable megasquirt assemblies like he was a Laotian Nike employee... :-)
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                        Will the kid get in trouble for something his dad obviously assembled? make the kid do the assembly!! I had my G/F's 10 year old kid cranking out reliable megasquirt assemblies like he was a Laotian Nike employee... :-)
                        I think you missed when I said this......
                        Originally posted by TC View Post
                        and the thing is the kit seems so simple that I think I could have him assemble it and look over his shoulder to make sure it's getting done right, and then I'll take over when it's time to power it up.........

Comment

A biography on Tesla was one of the BEST books I've read.
                          I've read a few Tesla books, seen the documentaries, been to the Tesla museum in Niagara, great stuff! We own that man A LOT!

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                            I've read a few Tesla books, seen the documentaries, been to the Tesla museum in Niagara, great stuff! We own that man A LOT!
                            Light years ahead of his time, unfortunately a horrible business man and died essentially broke. Make the first x-ray picture, had remote control torpedo's (in 1895!) and did huge work in the uses of oscillation and frequencies, in both electro-magnetics and physical harmonics, on top of the now common tesla coil.
                            Last edited by TheSilverBuick; January 3, 2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Light years ahead of his time, unfortunately a horrible business man and died essentially broke. Make the first x-ray picture, had remote control torpedo's (in 1895!) and did huge work in the uses of oscillation and frequencies, in both electro-magnetics and physical harmonics, on top of the now common tesla coil.
                              And he only stayed in rooms where the room number was divisible by 3.

I have the DVD's if anyone wants to see them, just lemme know & I'll zap a few copies..

Comment

Working...
                              X