Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finally back....competed last weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally back....competed last weekend...

Not in a race.  In a target pistol competition.  Here's the basics on how this one worked.

There are four different calibers you have to shoot.  50 rounds per caliber, total of 200 rounds fired.  The classes are basically like this...

1 - Rimfire - .17 and .22
    2 - .32, .38, 9mm etc.
    3 - .357mag, .45acp, .44special, .41mag etc.
    4 - hand pounders, minimum 250 grain bullet, .44mag, .45colt, .454casull etc.

Targets are NRA 25 yard pistol targets with score zones 10, being a bullseye, to 5, being the largest outer ring.  The 7, 8, 9 and 10 rings are the black circle and the 5 and 6 rings are the white outer circles.  Shooters stand 25 yards from the target, shoot free hand, no rest allowed and only iron sights (open sights), no scopes, red dots or lazers.  Shooters fire 5 rounds at a time and rotate.  The targets are scored after every 5 round group.  Scores are totaled for each caliber and the total scores for each caliber are totaled for the overall winner.  Highest possible score is 2000, if you hit the bullseye with all 200 rounds.  Highest possible score per category (for the math impaired) is 500.  I ended up finishing in third to two very tough shooters.

Rimfire - I shot my Smith and Wesson 22A and had a total score of 350.  I also set the record high 5 shot group score at 49, which was 4 bullseyes and one in the 9 ring just outside of the bullseye.

.38 - I shot my Ruger Bisley 8 3/8 barrel with .38 special - total score of 329

.357mag - I shot the same Ruger Bisley, but had to adjust the sights for the different round, so I dropped a little on the total score to 288

.45colt - I shot my Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull, but I shot .45 colt out of it.  I came in to this caliber in 6th and shot it well, so I came up to third.  Total score of 374.

1st place winner total score of all calibers - 1550
    2nd place - 1422
    me in 3rd place - 1341
    4th place - 1338
    5th place - 1287

By the way, if interested, there were 23 shooters in this shoot.

It was a very fun weekend and has me wanting to go practice and get better.  8)

Re: finally back....competed last weekend...

Congrats on the podium finish.

What I gathered from all of that is because of my "husky" build and shamefully slow running speed, I should never anger you when you have a firearm...because I'm going down HARD.

Good stuff...competition is good in any form.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

;D ;D ;D
      Thanks

I also failed to mention that it was 90 degrees and wind gusting 25-35+ MPH. But that would just be making up excuses. ;D A good time was had though. 8)

Comment

Congratulations smallblockjay, quite an accomplishment. Also, very interesting competition.
        I'd have to borrow some pistols from friends to round out an arsenal for competing.

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        What I gathered from all of that is because of my "husky" build and shamefully slow running speed, I should never anger you when you have a firearm...because I'm going down HARD.
        I like Matt's avatar; "If you can't run 870 feet per second, you head better be bullet-proof !"

;D

Comment

Originally posted by smallblockjay
          ;D ;D ;D
          Thanks

I also failed to mention that it was 90 degrees and wind gusting 25-35+ MPH. But that would just be making up excuses. ;D A good time was had though. 8)
          Excellent job, sir.
          Keep on...

Comment

Hang your ribbon on the front door so potential burglars can see it.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice shooting. I'd have a third placer watch my back any time.
              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Very Nice. Shooting without a rest with a score like that is pretty impressive. 8)
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I've always been fasincated with the machining of early weapons and shooting in general... the competion side takes a TON of work... and I'm to freaking lazy... but I admire it... top 3 out of over 20.... VERY COOL...

The other thing that is "really" cool... is that you brought it back here to share with your friends.. and that has Huge value... and makes me feel pretty dang good about this place...

Keith

Comment

My best friend shoots Registered Clay’s, and I know any time you can beat the full time shooters, to end up that high, you have done something very special, good job! :o
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Thanks everyone.  I sure had a great time with it and glad you guys enjoyed my little story.  Now I just need to get out there and improve my scores some so I can win next time.  8)  It's hard shooting against these shooters.  Lots of experience in this group.  It's the challenge that I enjoy.

The guy that won this thing also won it last year and he's a good friend.  Excellent shooter.  The guy that came in second this year is also a friend and also came in second last year.  I finished 16th last year with a mix-match lineup of borrowed guns, so I set out to buy my own.  It helps having the right tool for the job, having them there to practice with, and knowing that your tools are set up for you, not the person you borrowed them from.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                        Hang your ribbon on the front door so potential burglars can see it.
                        I'll put it right next to my state firearms instructor certificate. ;D

Comment

Congrats, Jay. Was it timed, or could you take your time with each shot?

Several years ago, after a day at the shooting range, I hung the "man sized" target that was all shot-up on my front door. I thought it was cool at the time. I got to thinking about it, and figured it was an advertisement to potential burglars that there were guns in the house they could steal when nobody was home... I didn't have a dog back then to scare them off.

Comment

Congrats, Jay. Was it timed, or could you take your time with each shot?
                            Thanks

It's not timed, but you can't take all the time in the world. It takes a lot of time for 23 shooters to fire 200 rounds each, 5 rounds at a time. So things have to move along a little. But concentration is also required to score rounds on an 8 inch target at 25 yards, so it's reasonable to have some time to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                            X