Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in seeing the insides of a Legends Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody interested in seeing the insides of a Legends Car?

I have to do the normal pre-season work to my son's Legends Car before the next racing season begins in a couple of months....

For those who don't know what a Legends Car is, it's a ~1300# car empty, square tube chassis, fiberglass body, Yamaha 1250cc (think FJ1200 and you got it) turned sideways in the car, with a driveshaft coupler in place of the normal drive shaft on the left hand side of the motor as installed in the bike. Carbs, no fuel injection. All normal 6 speeds are there, but no reverse. The front spindles and brakes, rearend housing and brakes, and steering rack dimensions are based on a late 70's/80's Toyota Celica. These cars are run around the world (Middle East, Europe, Canada, amongst others) and when we got ours last January the total number that had been built was around 5700 is what the answer was when we asked.

So a Question: I've lurked for so long here, and since I see see few people who overtly follow the state of NC's base sports offering, NASCAR, I don't know if there is any oval interest at all simply because all people do is go in circles they say. Now.. I'm not a true fan any more of NASCAR like many others because it's all politics and money now... but with the way many people are dead serious about this crap, it has to be classified as racing for real whether or not it's silly or not :D

I'll grant you that I still think a Legends Car is just about as silly as hell a way to go racing if you are really serious about a career in racing, crew or driver, but for a family activity for mom/dad/son on an individual salary it's expensive enough for me, thanks. But, giving the children opportunities that you didn't have as a kid has its upsides, as long as you all don't end up in the ditch.

So, if folks want to see pics and read commentary like is in my first posting to this great site (the Project Car forum, "The story of Hotpants"), let me know by voting yes or showing me an erect middle finger!
    Attached Files
    Yes!
    93.33%
    Oh hell no!
    6.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by 99_ls1; January 9, 2012, 06:01 PM. Reason: Add images...
    Livin the dream

I'd love to see the inside of Legends car...

With a helmet on, and at WOT, in a crowd of 20 other cars.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Yea, I walked into that one. Driver's seat is already taken :D

EDIT: Would anybody like to see how a Legends Car is built...
      Livin the dream

Comment

Of course we would - bring it on.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

what style body are you gunna use ?
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Are you kidding? that thing is bangshifty as possible - MORE PLEASE
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

does a bear ... well...never mind...Yeah!
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                what style body are you gunna use ?
                '34 Chevrolet...
                Attached Files
                Livin the dream

Comment

Yes yes yes. Let's see more.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

The kid's Youtube channel is:

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

We run at Concord Motorsport Park in Concord, NC. We ran second in the Young Lions division in 2011, our first year. Trying to get comfy and consistent at one place we know well from past lives. We had zero wins last year, but did manage three seconds, and over 50% top 5 in admittedly a varying tough or easy field week to week. I'm just glad he's having fun and momma bear is too!

This website is for sale! concordmotorsportpark.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, concordmotorsportpark.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

that looks like a crap load of fun....
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Alright, since we got a few exclamation points, I'll post what I have. Interest in the poll will determine whether this is the end of it or not :D

Thanks to an unfortunate meeting of another kid's right front wheel and our left rear wheel, here's some pictures of a past teardown. We had to replace the front clip (the front frame rails and such, everything in front of the firewall and the rear frame horns (past the union of the downbars and the main rails).

1) Gratuitous shot of the roof of the car
                        2) Rear brakes, side bumper bars, and the sideboards that go on top of the side bumper bars
                        3) The kid's seat
                        4) A non-pic of the motor, no carbs installed
                        5) The Toyota Celica centersection. If any of y'all have a ton of these laying around, all the junkyards within a zillion miles of here are bare. This is one of ours that is an original. It's a 3.42:1 for the 1/4 mile at Concord.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 99_ls1; January 9, 2012, 07:13 PM.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

This rules! I have never seen one all blown apart.
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

1) the rear frame horns
                            2) more cage bars
                            3) trunk lid (really?)
                            4) essentially the entire front suspension in a pile
                            5) the new front clip
                            Attached Files
                            Livin the dream

Comment

1) rear clip with cell and battery installed
                              2) damage to the interior tin from an earlier incident... he sheared the drive flange off the driveshaft and the remains of the shaft beat on the sheetmetal and his hip through the seat hehe he was sweaty after that one. a 1/2 bolt broke in the rear trailing arm on the right side. Lesson learned - keep a stock of grade 8 hardware around, and learn how to replace things every 5 races or so...
                              3) the dash wiring at the front of the kid's office
                              4) the instigator himself putting his seat in the car
                              5) the assembled office
                              Attached Files
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X