Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in seeing the insides of a Legends Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) Master Cylinder and reservoir
    2) Master bolted to front bulkhead
    3) Master and brake pedals reunited
    4) Firewall and Master reservoir
    5) Clutch pedal from inside
    Attached Files
    Livin the dream

Comment

1) firewall ready for motor
      2) Battery
      3) Fuel Cell
      4) Motor resting in frame rails
      5) a crappy view of the driveshaft coupler that mounts where the drive sprocket should be
      Attached Files
      Livin the dream

Comment

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

1) better view of the coupler
          2) Right Axle tube and brakes
          3) Joe Gibbs oil. I've been bouncing around these and other cars for a decent while, and this stuff amazes me. As incredibly smoking hot as this motor will get after a 25-lap feature with no cautions (when it happens) it amazes me how this stuff generally won't break down like every oil I have seen even Mobil 1. We usually get 4 race dates out of an oil & filter change.
          4) Left front spindle and brake
          5) the spindles
          Attached Files
          Livin the dream

Comment

1) Left front strut rods on chassis
            2) Hardware, tie rods, and a disassembled coilover.
            3) closer view of a disassembled coilover
            4) the front suspension assembled on the car

Essentially, you have seen the basis of the car and its premise. It's a real race car, with every adjustment you would need. The cars have a good bit of push built into them from the factory, and once you loosen them up enough where a driver would be happy they generally turn snap loose on you. The motors are basically bulletproof, if you run the sealed motor, don't screw around, and keep fresh oil in the thing. Tires, however, as in every other living racing sport, tires are the killer.

That's all I got from this round. This was about 1/2 the work to get the car ready. Now after this comes nut & bolt the entire car, mount the body, brake fluid and bleed, clutch fluid and bleed, fuel, and charge battery. Then you can get out the scales, wheelbase gauge, turn plates, caster/camber gauge, and digital protractor to set the car to baseline. Load up, and go to the track!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 99_ls1; January 9, 2012, 07:36 PM.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Close, but it ain't a Dwarf car. I can't even begin to detail exactly what the changes are, except to say it's like an IMCA Modified vs. a Northeast DIRT Modified at Syracuse!
              Livin the dream

Comment

im familer with the DDCC of phoenix, spent way too much time with 3 of the guys who raced them and they use the celica rear ends also, thats why I posted that link

Comment

( :embarrased: ) Sorry man nobody ever has accused me of being tactful....

Yea, as far as we have heard, they are doing the same deal we are stuck with now... Chinese crap... The iron flexes more, and so the bearings get chewed up. That's the third 3.42:1 case we've had...
                  Last edited by 99_ls1; January 9, 2012, 08:09 PM.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

I know since Manzanita closed (my old home track when I lived in Phoenix) ALOT of guys put thier cars into mothballs or parted them out, might be able to find a new or used rear end on the cheap out there since the economy is still in the crapper and guys just arent racing

Comment

Cool looks like fun.
                      BTW why not add a bar,or driveshaft loop, to keep the driveshaft from beating on the kid if it breaks?

Comment

It is contained in three places by the cage... It didn't penetrate the seat, it barely thumped it once, but it rattled the hell out of the kid's teeth woops. I had the seat offset to the right about 1/4" to help us with left side weight, the kid was going over on left side percentage with where I was trying to run him. The seat has since been moved back to the left, and a 10-lb chunk of lead has come off the left front to compensate. We generally shoot for about 2lbs under when we cross the scales at the end of a feature...
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Man this is racing the way it use to be. I ran short tracks in the deep south back in the 70's. This is when you built everything in your garage and hauled it on an open trailer. There were not many parts you could buy in those days. I had a fast car back then but I had a lot of help from some serious racers: Neil Bonnett, Bobby Allison, who taught me a few tricks. One thing I remember Bobby told me one night was" if there's room for the right front fender, take it, because the rest of the car is all attached. Now way to much money and nobody will rub on one another......rubbing is racing! Good luck to you and your son.....bring nothing back but the steering wheel.
                          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Thanks Big Dave!

Open Practice at Concord is Feb 25th... So we pulled the body off. The kid made it really messy out in the field, more than I had realized. Time for a bath...
                            Attached Files
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                            X