Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Ivo explains how the Showboat works

Neat video.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; January 9, 2012, 07:55 PM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

That's pretty damn cool engineering
      Remember that car when it first came out

Thanks for posting
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

What impresses me is there was no ICAD drafting, computers or any other technological goodness that we have today.

Seat of the pants building... I never knew that the right side ran the front and left ran the back..

And what maked these guys say..hey! if one engine is fun how about 2 or 4? lets build it..Why? becasue we can!

Comment

Awesome vid! thanks! I can't imagine the nightmare getting the throttle set up, just one v8 with a set of ITBs can be a real handful. I wonder if they used the $20 bill trick?
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

That is a pretty cool video!
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The sound of this car was really cool! Tommy Ivo had a lot of ideas that were over the top, but he made them work. For a guy who was just thought of as an Actor back in the day, he was way ahead of his time. I remember sitting next to him in the stands at Lions in about 1961 and as a 14 year old I remember him talking to me and enjoying the questions I asked. He didn't have an attitude or anything, just seemed to enjoy the conversation. What a thrill for me at that age! He has never changed and I have the utmost respect for him. Great video from a great Man!

Comment

The durability of that tank is also remarkable. It ran constantly up until the early 1980s! I think it ran for something like 15 years straight! Ivo ran it for a while, Snake Prudhomme drove it for a while, then it was sold to a man named Tom McCourry who ran it and added the custom Tom Hanna built Riviera "wagon" body and renamed the car the "wagon master". The wagon body stayed on until the end, after Ivo bought it back and began touring with it again. Sadly, Ivo sustained severe back injuries while running the car up in Canada, immediately ending his driving career (aside from the stunt driving work in the movie "Heart Like a Wheel"...Ivo drove the fueler camera cars in that movie).
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Spot on, Brian. I sure since you are too young to remember, but Tommy and Cynthia Pepper appeared on a cover of 'Hot Rod Magazine" with the car in the early 60's. The show was called "Margie" ( not "My Little Margie" with Gale Storm) and Cynthia was the star and Tommy played her boyfriend. The show was set in the 20's. The show didn't last long, but it helped Tommy to keep the cash going so he could keep racing!

Comment

Haywood Botts!
                    sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

The ingenuity of guys in the 60's with the drag cars is awesome. It is too bad that the sanctioning bodies of today have pretty much regulated creativity out. By all accounts, Ivo is a heck of a guy who loves drag racing and cars. I would love to meet him.
                      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

And what maked these guys say..hey! if one engine is fun how about 2 or 4? lets build it..Why? becasue we can!
                        This was built in response to the NHRA's nitro ban.
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I read Ivo's book, he seems like a cool guy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	859578He was the Ultimate Showman (Top Fuel) and mischievous as Hell, he really pulled off some stunts. When he was out on tour he'd have the lights shining on his Diggers in the hauler truck whether it was parked or going down the road.
                            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Read his book to find out how much he hated that Dodge truck.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X