Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where/what do you buy for "good" carb cleaner/parts dip??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where/what do you buy for "good" carb cleaner/parts dip??

I mean the stuff that makes your skin tingle after just a couple seconds of exposure. Be specific. Who makes it? Where do you buy it? And PLEASE..no stories of where you "used" to buy it long time ago. Thank you
    STUGOTS

I like Berrymans

Autozone, Advanced and CarQuest

I cleaned the carb I purchased from Jim (SGM). It was rough and looked like it had been around a while.
    Cleaned up and looked like new once I was done.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; January 11, 2012, 04:04 AM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

the good stuff is illegal , especially in california..safety clean used to sell the nastiest

Comment

I recently tried the Berryman's on the two edelbrocks I rebuilt - I think it's B12, comes in larger cans than typical, I think 20 or 22 ounce, they were $5-$6 a can. One can was plenty to do one carb. I was able to spray it down into the fuel wells enough to make it puddle and sit over night, then rinsed it out the following day - it took care of the dried up remnants of old fuel and the really grungy stuff cleaned up great with just a little brushing from a nylon brush.

I've only been able to find "carb dip" in one gallon cans - not big enough to submerge the main body or throttle plate of a holley - and neither "half" of an edelbrock.

Tractor supply still sells the "nasty" parts cleaner solven in metal 5 gallon cans for about $45, but I'm not sure how well that would clean up a carb specifically.

I do miss "hydroseal".
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Berryman's Chem Dip should still be available. That's the stuff that makes you vomit if you open the lid while hungover. Anybody who carries Berryman products should probably be able to order it for you. Expect sticker shock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0900.gif
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	859594

Pull you plastic junk off before putting the body in here. It will eat a lot of plastics, turn neoprene into rubber fishing worm like goo, puff up gaskets, remove paint, etc.

I'd try some nitrile gloves if you have any open cuts. It used to make me cringe when it would get into cuts. I suspect it's carcinogenic as hell, but I don't want to touch it anyway cuz the stuff SMELLS. I clean it off with kerosene or B12. I love B12 for quickie rebuild stuff, but this junk is the real deal.
          Last edited by Beagle; January 11, 2012, 07:17 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            Berryman's Chem Dip should still be available. That's the stuff that makes you vomit if you open the lid while hungover. Anybody who carries Berryman products should probably be able to order it for you. Expect sticker shock.

Pull you plastic junk off before putting the body in here. It will eat a lot of plastics, turn neoprene into rubber fishing worm like goo, puff up gaskets, remove paint, etc.

I'd try some nitrile gloves if you have any open cuts. It used to make me cringe when it would get into cuts. I suspect it's carcinogenic as hell, but I don't want to touch it anyway cuz the stuff SMELLS. I clean it off with kerosene or B12. I love B12 for quickie rebuild stuff, but this junk is the real deal.
            awesome, that would be good stuff.

save some dough and mix up some toluene, xylol, and some white kerosene.

"gumout" that can spray does good while on the car.

my location had an open dump bigger than some states mountains, and it is still haunting. The chemical chains are not believed until encountered. grotesque.

I even have toluene mixed with engine oil as a runtime adder, not just a clean and flush.. I leave it right in the base.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I haven't bought any of that stuff for about 20 years. It's nasty. It works well, but it's not worth it to me to put up with the nastiness.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

$165 for a 5 gallon.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

NAPA sells their Mac's 6042 carb cleaner.... I like it a lot.

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I used Berrymans back when I used to rebuild carbs. I recently had an ancient five gallon can of crap that I got from Engle Cams. It made the neighborhood smell like an old chemical dump. Either will guarantee you not to get a date for a week after using it.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      the good stuff is illegal , especially in california..safety clean used to sell the nastiest
                      Yap Safety Clean delivered right to the shop.............. They even gave you the whole wash basin that sat on top of the barrel.........
                      Last edited by TC; January 11, 2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                        Yap Safety Clean delivered right to the shop.............. They even gave you the whole wash basin that sat on top of the barrel.........
                        That's like Varsol. Almost like mineral spirits. I would garlgle with that... girly stuff. We're talking DIP here!

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                          I mean the stuff that makes your skin tingle after just a couple seconds of exposure. Be specific. Who makes it? Where do you buy it? And PLEASE..no stories of where you "used" to buy it long time ago. Thank you

Pick the upper left, the gallon can. Get about two gallons of that, a 4-gallon plastic bucket, and toss 'em in. That's the tingly stuff. Hopefully you can get it in CA, it's made somewhere in this area. If you click on the Gunk logo at the top of the page to go to the home page, and the retailer logos are right there on the home page.

EDIT: I agree with everybody else that has posted good things about Berryman. You asked for the tingly stuff If I have a carb that is frequently torn down like a kart carb, I use the Berryman because it's good for a rinse and clean. The Gunk is more like a lather, rinse, repeat. I find that it goes after long-sitting deposits better than the Berryman. But I suggest losing the man card and putting on some playtex gloves or something better than an nitrile glove. It will rip the skin off you if you let it.
                          Last edited by 99_ls1; January 11, 2012, 08:56 PM.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

But - an added tip - you can wear that fluid out real easy by dunking a lot of parts in it. Yes, it will clean all sorts of stuff very well, but it will wipe out the carb cleaning ability. The fluid will continue to clean a carb somewhat but since the fluid this doesn't have a cleaning systemit will contaiminate it quicker than you think, thusly getting expensive!
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Kills trees on contact!

Stay away from Naptha based solvent too.... nasty stuff.
                              MOPAR=My Old Plymouth Always Runs

Comment

Working...
                              X