Key fob to your chin to extend the range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key fob to your chin to extend the range

Anybody do this? We used to do it all the time back in the day with our car alarms. Tried it with my garage door opener yesterday and it worked with it too. haha
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Sometimes radio reception is improved with a tight grip on the antenna...Is it that you become part of the antenna or key fob as it were?
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Man the kids these days get it so easy.. I used to have to fine tune the TV tuner.. and sometimes when I moved away from it, the picture went fuzzy again. Dad's solution? I got to stand there holding the damn tuner knob so he could see whatever "important" thing it was.
      Last edited by Beagle; January 12, 2012, 09:38 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
        Anybody do this? We used to do it all the time back in the day with our car alarms. Tried it with my garage door opener yesterday and it worked with it too. haha
        When I worked at car dealerships we did that all the time. Works great. In fact I started doing it again recently with my 2007 Silverado with auto-start. The signal can barely reach where I park the truck in the employee parking lot from my office To the chin the fob goes
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Why the chin? do you guys have steel plates in your heads? Is it the shape of the chin?
          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I've never tried the chin trick but now I'll have to. If you hold the FOB above your head in a parking lot (yes people stare) it also gives it a longer range. Once I was up on what I'll refer to as a mountain and my Jeep was in a parking lot at least half a mile away and I could work the door locks and alarm and such.
            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

I've seen the deal where you hold a fob to a cell phone work as well. Say you lock the keys in the car and are holding cell phone B. Your spouse, life partner, whomever is at home with the spare set of keys and cell phone A. Mom at home holds the fob to cell phone A, pushes the unlock button while you hold cellphone B near the car. Clunk, unlocks the doors. It was on MythBusters and proven false but I saw it work on a VW.
              Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

So it this just a matter of raising the level of the devise higher?

Is anyone familiar with the wierd electronic condition some people have (Loren)? Wherein electric watches won't keep time on them but will on everyone else? Other electronic stuff poses a problem for these people (Loren) as well, If I try to use the devise it is fine but if one of these other people (Loren) picks it up it goes all haywire...

Comment

Actually, Gail, the brain works on electric signals between the neurons. Thus when you put an electric device at your chin, the focus of the energy from the brain working above it makes the signal stronger - thus opening doors.... it is why your cell phone gets better reception when you forget the hands free device and hold it up to your ear.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    Actually, Gail, the brain works on electric signals between the neurons. Thus when you put an electric device at your chin, the focus of the energy from the brain working above it makes the signal stronger - thus opening doors.... it is why your cell phone gets better reception when you forget the hands free device and hold it up to your ear.
                    Thanks! I love Sciency stuff! Why does the radio reception get better if you grab the antenna? Is it the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                      So it this just a matter of raising the level of the devise higher?

Is anyone familiar with the wierd electronic condition some people have (Loren)? Wherein electric watches won't keep time on them but will on everyone else? Other electronic stuff poses a problem for these people (Loren) as well, If I try to use the devise it is fine but if one of these other people (Loren) picks it up it goes all haywire...
                      My Mom had sort of the opposite problem. She would magnetize wind-up watches but was OK with electronics. She inherited a gold cased watch (not plated) when her Mom died and it worked OK. She repaired that watch WAY beyond it's natural life but it was finally too far gone. By then electronic watches came out and she found out that they were OK.

Might buy Loren a gold cased watch..... He's worth it, I'm sure.

Dan

Comment

I got him a beautiful pocket watch for our 25th last Labor Day, it is a wind up and it seems to be ok...
                        And he certainly is worth it!

Comment

Not terribly long ago I was out on strike at the big B. We were out 58 days. I had to turn off a lot of services, cable, internet, etc. Aside from 'borrowing' our neighbor's internet, I had to use the rabbit ears to watch TV. PBS came in really well, so I spent a lot of time watching documentaries. One day a few of my fellow union members stopped by to watch a football game. The network channel came in fairly well as long as someone held onto the antennae. We tried all sorts of tricks (including running a wire to a power outlet...remember to turn that circuit breaker off!), but nothing short of simply holding the antenna worked to our satisfaction. So, we all took shifts holding the ears for the duration of the game.
                          1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                          1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

The Big B ?
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Boeing
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X