SoCal BS'ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal BS'ers

So my dad & mom are in/around San Diego and will be going to Tecate for the next couple of weeks to work in an orphanage. They are looking at getting a couple of vans for the orphanage and found a deal in Bakersfield. I'm telling them it will be a very long day to drive up to Bakersfield, buy these vans, and drive back. Google maps says 4 hours one way-- how long will it really take to go from the Cali-Mexican border, around LA, and back down again?
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Time of day is key. Bakersfield requires going through LA. If I were driving it Id plan on 5 hours each way best case. I wouldnt be planning to do anything else that day, and it could take longer (but not shorter)... also dont forget border crossing times of up to 3 hours some days...
    BKB
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

going north in the first half of the day puts you in with the traffic that's moving. going south during the second half, same story. Your chances are decent of making it in 5 hours each way I'd think. Don't try it moving against the flow of traffic though, ugh!
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

What Orphanage? Is it Rancho Nazareth?

If they need anything down around San Diego please let them know we are available
        Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 13, 2012, 10:07 AM.
        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

5 hours if they hit it right, got it. Thanks!

Thanks Gail! The orphanage is Shining Light Children's Home. They are always in need.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
            5 hours if they hit it right, got it. Thanks!

Thanks Gail! The orphanage is Shining Light Children's Home. They are always in need.
            My sister and I grew up with frequent trips to Tecate back in the '70s. Mom was involved with Rancho Nazareth, a Boys orphanage located west of Tecate on the highway to TJ. We spent many weekends down there, lots of caravans packed with all kinds of things for the kids. We also took long trips down the penninsula to do charitable work, I remember sleeping in the front seat of Mom's Toyota Corolla station wagon packed so full the seat wouldn't even go back to the "normal" position. We slept in homes with dirt floors and chickens, and the pictures that were up in the out-houses were the first naked lady pictures I had ever seen, I remember thinking it was kinda wierd to have those up in the family out house...One time a kid let me ride his horse but the entire village was very worried because I was a teen age girl and the horse had a wild reputation, little did they know I was a little wild too; The horse and I got along just fine! Fishermen would go out and bring back scallops and we ate them raw on the beach around a fire. I miss those days, thanks for the trip down memory lane!
            Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 13, 2012, 12:15 PM.
            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

at a minimum maybe 4hrs just depends on time of day and if not during morning/afternoon rush hour .they can also if coming up from san diego use the 15 north to the 215 north then to the 210 fwy towards pasadena ,this will eventually put them back onto I-5 up in the sylmar area near magic mtn .this route although just a little bit longer keeps them off of the heavily traveled section of socal during peak rush hours and especially out of LA traffic
              "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

The 210 West from the 15 to Pasadena is a parking lot the entire morning.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X