10.5 Mustang or Camaro????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10.5 Mustang or Camaro????

I'm looking at building a 10.5 fast door car for drag strip use only. I have a very good high HP injected SBC I'm going to use for power. I don't care about fitting into a "class" or following any set rules. I just want to build a fast, safe car. My question is about what platform to use, a late model Mustang or late model Camaro. I know I want to use aftermarket parts like K members, fiberglass doors and frontend, suspension parts and so forth. So what are the pros and cons.

Thanks

A whole lot of folks racing Mustangs these days. Even Chevy powered. Lots of things out there for them too. If you are not on Yellowbullet.com- go lurk over there- seems like everyone has a Mustang on that site.
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Mustangs are definitely the dominant body style these days.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

And they are freeeeeking easy to work on.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
          Mustangs are definitely the dominant body style these days.
          That's cuz all of the camaros have fallen apart ..... and I'm a chevy guy!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Nova

Comment

I saw an early 80's Camaro that had been gutted and a cage installed at the track in the mid 90's. Fairly mild BBC in it- was quicker than it should have been- lighter than you would expect too.
              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Start looking and go with whatever you find in decent shape that is cheap. Lots of parts available for 3rd gen F bodys and Mustangs, 4th gen F bodys have the windshield over the engine, so they can be a pain to work on, but the LS1 in the 98-02 cars will run 11s with only bolt ons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                  That's cuz all of the camaros have fallen apart ..... and I'm a chevy guy!
                  100,000+ miles on that white one in my sig, still running strong.........

Comment

If you want fast, the Mustang, if you want loved anything but a Mustang! You cant swing a Dead Cat without hitting one. The 10.5 cars are just a shell around a ProMod anymore
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

^^^^ This.

Comment

Thanks for the in-put. Sure looks like the fox body is the way to go.

Comment

The recipe I would follow if I could fit into a Mustang.

1. Fox Body Mustang Notch
                          2. Iron or aluminum 4" bore Chevy LSx shortblock (6.0L LQ4/LQ9, LS2, LY6, etc)
                          3. LS3/L92 Heads
                          4. Mild Cam
                          5. Gears

It will be faster than you'd think. And pretty cheap too.
                          1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                          1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

You can do a cam swap on a LS1 Camaro and hit it with a 150 shot and you'll go 10.50's...................No motor swap needed.........

Comment

He's talking about building a 10.5-tire car not a 10.5 second car.
                              Last edited by Brian Lohnes; January 13, 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X