No announcement yet.

2013 650 hp Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the plasma sprayed cylinders going to be as strong as the old iron liners?
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich View Post
      We'll probably find out when someone starts wicking one up with a crank pulley and tune.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

so 2 days after they're out lol
        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich View Post
          Are engines with plasma sprayed cylinders rebuildable in the conventional overbore, or re-hone sense?
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
            so 2 days after they're out lol
            It'll probably be quicker than that!!
            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
              Are engines with plasma sprayed cylinders rebuildable in the conventional overbore, or re-hone sense?
              When I was looking into the Northstar engine, those were not rebuildable.
              I'm still learning

Comment

N* can be over board they sell .040 over pistons adn the fiero forums have quite a few threads on rebuilding them
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  As to the OPs original question, the Mustang will be several laps down at the end of the 20 laps.
                  Hmmm, to put a bit more context around that, Car & Driver conducts what they call the Lightning lap which they started six years ago. These are factory stock cars driven by multiple drivers around Virginia International Raceway's Grand West course.

The best tested Vette, a 2012 ZR1 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, with a tread wear rating of 80, did 2:50.7, the best Mustang to date, the Boss 302 Laguna Seca did 3:02.8. So after 20 laps the Mustang would be down by 1.3 laps.

The best Camaro to date, the SS did 3:09.5 so it would be a bit more that 3/4 of a lap down to the Mustang. BTW the regular Mustang GT did 3.08.4. The best GT 500 to date did 3:04.0 back in 2011. A number of other Corvettes have been anywhere from 3:09 don to 2:58.

There is no way to factor out atmospheric conditions and track conditions although all have been dry some years are better than others based on recent rain etc.

Based on all that the 650 HP Shelby still won't beat a ZR1 around a road course but it'll likely leave a ZL1 in its dust. It'll be interesting to see if a ZL1 can get around the Boss 302.
                  Last edited by CDMBill; January 17, 2012, 04:27 PM.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Thats why I like Bill and Jeff Mc. , neither seem to be brand fanatics, they both seem to deal in facts and reality.

I have not received any compensation for this statement.... But I will gladly accept it!
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

this just in......

sounds like Bill has this all figured out!
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                      X