No announcement yet.

EFI costs Horsepower ..The UNRestrtor Plate ..15/16ths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian, thanks for putting this thread in perspective. I just lost my grandfather this past November, he was a seriously cool dude who built tons of cool stuff over the years. He spent the last 15 years caring tirelessly for my grandmother who had rheumatoid arthritis and was bedridden for the last 3 years. I really started to appreciate him when I was in my 20s, but by that time most of his days were spent caring for my grandmother, so we didn't get to spend much time doing things together. My grandmother passed this past spring, and despite the pain of her loss, I looked forward to being able to spend more time with my grandfather. He was in great health for being 80, but he only outlived my grandmother by 6 months due to a tragic accident while trying to clean his gutters at his house.

He was probably the most influential "gearhead" in my life growing up, although I don't think I would refer to him as a "hot rodder". He was an excellent fabricator, and had the mentality that things should be built, not bought. Case in point, when he was younger, he needed a tractor for plowing snow and yardwork, but he didn't just go out and buy one. Instead he cut up a rusted out Crosley and built a tractor from the parts. He fabricated his own gear reduction drop boxes for it, bell housing and adapter plate to run a 10hp motor to the Crosley clutch and transmission, built a leaf blower for it using a squirrel cage fan from a house HVAC unit, etc. He was great with wood, too, building his house from scratch in a barn, then hauling the pre-made sections from the barn and assembling the house on its foundation. He also made his own kitchen cabinets from scratch, and they look better and are stronger than anything you can buy.

On the contrary, despite his experience and skills, I never once heard him say "you're doing it wrong". He wouldn't give his opinion unless you asked him for it. It took me a long time to realize that, and I found myself asking him more and more questions the last few years, as I came to appreciate him more and more. I'm so grateful for that time, but crushed that I lost him so suddenly. I still have to drag home the flathead Ford V8 that he saved from his '36 Ford Coupe (cut up for scrap in the late 40s). He planned to use the engine, not for a hot rod project, but to power a water pump to supply water to his house. He ended up using a different engine, so it still sits in the barn. He gave it to me a few year back because he knew I'd appreciate it.
    Still plays with trucks....

Comment

• zoom zoom
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Nice little read on the trnasition to EFI and NASCAR and a bit of an EFI 101

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Very good read Bill, and just what some people have been saying all along.

Funny Brad Keselowski was not asked about how it effected the Engine program, maybe he has no idea whats going on at this level..........
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

• refresh
            Reprints & Permissions

CHARLOTTE – Brad Keselowski will miss next week's fuel-injection test at Daytona International Speedway, but he's done enough testing to conclude the new system is "a disaster."

Brad Keselowski blasted NASCAR's transition to fuel injection on Tuesday, saying the sport was giving in to green-initiative groups for no reason.

By Rainier Ehrhardt, AP

Brad Keselowski blasted NASCAR's transition to fuel injection on Tuesday, saying the sport was giving in to green-initiative groups for no reason.

Enlarge

By Rainier Ehrhardt, AP

"It has less throttle response, and it's harder to get to start (because) it takes a computer to start the damn thing," the NASCAR driver said. "It's a pain in the (butt). I don't see where fans get anything from it."

In switching from carburetors to fuel injection next season, NASCAR has couched the move as a green initiative because it should make engines run more efficiently by controlling the fuel mixture through electronics. It also will bring stock cars more in line with street models, pleasing the four manufacturers that compete in the Sprint Cup Series— but not Keselowski.

"My dislike list is very long," Keselowski said. "I'm not a big fan of it at all. Carburetor technology is 50 years old but is very simple. The benefit of a carburetor is that it's very, very easy to police. That's why NASCAR stuck with that.

"Now, because of all the green initiatives, etc., etc., the sport has taken a lot of flak from different groups that probably don't understand that.

"They've been pressured into switching it through the green initiatives. In reality it's no more efficient than what we have, and it costs a lot more."

The new fuel injection modules are expected to run at least $25,000 apiece.

"We're not doing this because it's better for the teams," Keselowski said. "I don't think we're really going to save any gas. It's a media circus, trying to make you guys happy so you write good stories. It gives them something to promote.

"We're always looking for something to promote, but the honest answer is it does nothing for the sport except cost the team owners money. Cars on the street are injected with real electronics, not a throttle body (like in NASCAR). So we've managed to go from 50-year-old technology to 35-year-old technology. I don't see what the big deal is."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. took an opposing view, saying his two tests with fuel injection "had been smooth. Every time, it drives exactly like the carburetor car. I've jumped in and out of both of them and was really pleased. It's just a step in the natural process of the sport.

"I think Brad's just kind of frustrated because the testing for them maybe hasn't gone as well as they hoped. In the long run, it'll be a benefit for the sport."

Keselowski said he expected to get a scolding from NASCAR for espousing his views.

"I'm sure I will," he laughed. "But that's the honest part of it. I think it's a disaster.

ok , 25000 is half the price of one 50 thousand dollar holley 4150

Comment

• Comment

• Same cry baby poor Brad sorry you and your Team are so slow, but glad you have something to blame it on....

Comment

• If Dale Jr. said it's good then it law! No need for anymore discussion.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• I heard he was in the Hospital, yeah he cant pass anything and is backing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeffmckc View Post
                      i heard he was in the hospital, yeah he cant pass anything and is backing up.
                      ^^^^^^now thats funny!!! ^^^^^^^^
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                      X