Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the longest you've kept a motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody run an older high compression thru winters?
    I thought those would go forever.
    my neighbor used to drive a 327 to school. hearing that in a maine frigid morning is quite lively...just like it did not care what the cold is.

I loved those here local. I could swear it was a massive pollution problem from some dumps that did alot of stuff in.
    a strange reason I am into the small boxer.(survived "it")
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
      have you ran it with the demon 3x2 set up yet ? im curious on how it is
      Not yet, just finished it last weekend. I suspect we will need to tinker with it......
      The 37 is off getting hinges shaved and suicide doors done, pry a late spring or early summer project to get it running. I will start a build thread on it once I get more pics.
      Nick Smithberg
      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

this thing, a .030 350 it was built by a friends brother back in the 80's i got it 5 years ago. took it in trade for some
        of the labor of building him a stronger one. I pulled it from his 72 GMC and dumped it in my 81 cutluss.
        it ran 14.20 with the cast intake and exhaust manifolds, had a little oil on the #8 plug pulled it apart and found a broken piston in the edge of the pin boss and a messed up oil ring (at sometime a pushrod had broken and had fell between the oil pump and the bottom of the piston) it had a cracked oil pump and peices of pushrod, lifter ,and 1 or two oil pump cover bolts in the oil pan. the bores looked very good so i put a new piston in (np345) and freshend the old turd and dumped it into the old blue 87 cutlass in my avatar pic. I used to change engines and combos all the time, but since i bought the house funds have been low so it gets the olds around pretty good, for now....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by oldsman71; January 14, 2012, 11:08 PM.
        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

one pic of it freshened, one the pan with junk and and the oil pump with the missing bolt

3 of my 4 cutlasses pictured I had at the time, the heard has thinned since then
          Attached Files
          Last edited by oldsman71; January 14, 2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I suppose it's the 383 short block in my Impala. I bought it from a friend of a friend in 1994. It's had several cams and heads, but the crank, rods, and pistons haven't been touched since.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The 455 I'm having machined for my Buick... late 90s is the best I can remember as for year - bought it at the Portland swap meet...
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

oh yeah for got to actualy say when i got the engine i bought the 82 GP in 2002 and that '68 350 was in it
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

My 318 in my Grandmothers old 72 Barracuda. Going on 404000 miles. one rebuild. orig heads block crank rods. Looking for the 500K mark.
                  Attached Files
                  www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                  Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Wow! ^^^^
                    Nick Smithberg
                    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
                      Wow! ^^^^
                      +1
                      I would not believe it even if I saw it.

pre egr snapped chains.

my first car had a 318, coronet. very lively snappy engine. loved it running. could not hold the factory transmission, gave it away.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think the WOW is his Grandma has a six pack cuda....!
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

My '69 Camaro has had one, and only one, engine in it since 1978 when we bought it. The same engine won multiple NHRA National Events, set multiple NHRA Stock class records, and won the NHRA National Championship as well.

It's been freshened several times, although only once since I've been driving it on the street, but it's the same engine. It's not been rebuilt in 20 years now, but it has also sat a lot. Hopefully will be driving it with the top down and banging gears this summer though.
                          "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I pulled a flat lobed 350 4 blot main out of a 3/4 ton chevy Had it rebuilt with 194 valves and a 350/350 vette cam. supposed to be a 300 hp motor. This was in 95. I've put it in two S-10"s a Elcomio Cub Cadet lawn tractor. I pulled it when I got the T/A 8 years ago. Wow ....Never thought it would sit in the garage that long.So ....17 years. Think I'll pull the slightly smokey L98 out of the T/A and put it in there.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

beater engines rock!!!

Comment

We have a block that Brian Thiel knocked all 8 out. Johnney West came out and threw a rod on the floor an said "it was lonely!"
                                We bored it out from a 4.125 to a 4.375 fixed all the holes in it. it's a spare right now, and Im sure it will see a few more laps!
                                Originally posted by TC
                                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                                X