Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the longest you've kept a motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    anybody run an older high compression thru winters?
    I thought those would go forever.
    my neighbor used to drive a 327 to school. hearing that in a maine frigid morning is quite lively...just like it did not care what the cold is.

I loved those here local. I could swear it was a massive pollution problem from some dumps that did alot of stuff in.
    a strange reason I am into the small boxer.(survived "it")

Leave a comment:

• Mater
    replied
    still have the olds 350 it's not not assembled any more been like this sense 2004

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    I have had my 396 since 1981 ..was in 3 different cars

Leave a comment:

• BOOOGHAR
    replied
    Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
    Went from this (331 ci)......
    To this (337ci)!

Full build story with pics here: http://www.midwestspeedfreaks.com/fo...php?f=23&t=748
    have you ran it with the demon 3x2 set up yet ? im curious on how it is

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    I ran the odd fire 3.8 in the Skylark for ten years. Next year will be 10 years for the Centurion's engine.

Leave a comment:

• realsteelfreak
    replied
    The one I had in a truck 16 years, the one I had waiting on a car 4 years, all others left really quick.

Leave a comment:

• harponi
    replied
    When I got my 69 Camaro in 86 it had its original 350 still in it. It got a rering and bearing big ole sloppy cam and got thrashed for the next 5 or six years. It got pulled out to make way for a series of engines to follow. Last week I pulled it apart to see what kind of shape it was in. I figured the bearings would be brassy and the cylinders would be rusty from setting in my storage shed with the plugs out and the intake and timing chain cover off. It looked like It was running the day before I tore it down! Its gonna get rings and bearings and put in a my old GMC truck project. So after 26 years Ill still be using it.

Leave a comment:

• A/Fuel
    replied
    Originally posted by TC View Post
    I still have the 454 out of the '77 Chevy truck I had in High School, that's 27 years now......It's going in my '71 GMC......

Here's a pic.....
    I'd have one forever too, if it lived it's life safe and secure on an engine stand, lol

The current block in my camaro is the origional one, so I suppose that would be the one for me. The one I had in there before that lasted about 20 miles and on the 3rd lap the rods broke. So I think another question should be "Who's had one the shortest ammount of time?"
    We had a brand new engine drop a valve in the burnout, and it blew the intake off.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I think the 5.8l in the Mustang. I tend to build something then sell it so the move along and out of my life. Had the 5.8 for maybe 10 years now. I could take some pics but the old boy's buried under a pile of trash right now.

The 2.5 in Mom's Celebrity has been in the family for 12 years or so but somehow that doesn't seem like it counts.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I have the 396 I bought when I was in high school in 1978, rebuilt it in 79, had it in my truck from then till 1990, and again from 1996-2005. Those 32 year old piston pins are a bit loose now

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    my locale and keeping an engine. it is a tragedy. my dad drove an 81 international to the 2million mark, and then ethe engine was pulled ..becaus someone wanted it.
    that i about as amazing it will ever be, a thick old tractor trailer block.

my vote a long time ago was going to be a short stroke, big bore iron...the 327 story is a good one. that really was tough local.

the 283 was supposed to be even tougher..but not much hangs on to tell just 1 story. the 327 did, even for dumb people..just kept going and going.

a real freak I have been working with since 97 is the last of the 3 main bearing boxer. Subaru. the aluminum drives me nuts. I don't like self morphing einstiens..but the stories aren't matched. my real world ones.
    one is behind a shed, does not sieze. the one I am running is 25 original..3 headgaskets, 3rd clutch (now an american spec). No one stayed nice to it ever.. even I am a prick to it.

Leave a comment:

• BOSSMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
    This conversation came up when some buddies of mine stopped by to see what I've been up to lately. Me personally I don't hold on to motors since I'm always playing with different combinations and experimenting. My father on the other hand has had a 327 since his high school days (around 1975) which got drag raced for 20+ years (no freshen ups) and recently I just finished a complete rebuild on it for his street rod - 37 Chevy 2 Door Sedan. How about you guys, got any pics or stories to share?
    Went from this (331 ci)......

To this (337ci)!

Full build story with pics here: http://www.midwestspeedfreaks.com/fo...php?f=23&t=748

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied
    My 1st bracket motor, a .060 over 350 that I put together back in 1985. It's been re-ringed a few times and still laughs at a 250 shot!

Leave a comment:

• Thumpin455
    replied
    I still have the 302 from my Cougar that I bought in 82, and somewhere I have the Briggs 5hp I rebuilt for the tiller when I was ten. There is a Fox .25 RC engine I got when I was 11 or 12 in the other room. The Cougar 302 is the V8 I have had the longest, it will be 30 years this summer that I have had that car

Last edited by Thumpin455; January 14, 2012, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied
    I still have the 454 out of the '77 Chevy truck I had in High School, that's 27 years now......It's going in my '71 GMC......

Here's a pic.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X