wow and flutter boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow and flutter boys

Its a term for someone who before buying something researches it for weeks, reads ever review to the point they never buy anything.
    Its a spec term on the box of a car stereo that basically means nothing to a consumer.

as opposed to the kilowatt boys, who buy stuff immediately based on the false specs that are printed in big numbers on the box.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I thought Wow and Flutter were terms reserved for analog tape recorders and players? that's something I hear all the time amongst the Analog Recording crowd.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        as opposed to the kilowatt boys, who buy stuff immediately based on the false specs that are printed in big numbers on the box.
        what... 4,500,000 watts at 17% THD aint your thing? grin.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
          I thought Wow and Flutter were terms reserved for analog tape recorders and players? that's something I hear all the time amongst the Analog Recording crowd.
          I was reading that too. Analog is not mentioned anywhere.

a blip is a blip no matter where it is. Could analogize it for anything..a spinning bearing. Clutch..even a venturi.

13.4 mhz is famous for them.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Who needs a car stereo in anything that has a melodic V8 with loud enough pipes you cant hear anything else anyway? Put the radio in the car the wife drives, like the minivan that is so soul sucking you need to listen to something to know you are still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
              Who needs a car stereo in anything that has a melodic V8 with loud enough pipes you cant hear anything else anyway? Put the radio in the car the wife drives, like the minivan that is so soul sucking you need to listen to something to know you are still alive.
              dual exhaust IS stereo
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Go on one of them 5000 mile drives in your hot rod...it's nice to have some tunes every now and then. Although you'll never hear the wow and flutter if you have a real motor in it
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

MP3 can have so much loss in it, wow and flutter are not even a concern. Sample at the wrong rate and you've got more than consistent tape speed to worry about. Digital artifacts irritate me as much as a dragging tape. Even then, I don't miss capstan and head cleaning.

We recorded on 4 hour tapes before digital recording was so easy. Vinyl and cd to a VHS 4 head with good heads. a good 4head VCR will outperform most of the "affordable" tape junk when I was a kid for a lot less coin. Sound was awesome, but don't forget your periodic rewinds!
                  Last edited by Beagle; January 16, 2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Its like a guy who buys a brand new SS Camaro and brags about all the horse power he has under the hood but only putts to the "Country Buffet" using a whopping 37 horse power!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      dual exhaust IS stereo
                      Yes!

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      MP3 can have so much loss in it, wow and flutter are not even a concern. Sample at the wrong rate and you've got more than consistent tape speed to worry about. Digital artifacts irritate me as much as a dragging tape. Even then, I don't miss capstan and head cleaning.
                      Good God, I'm in a club almost every day. DJ are musicians, right? (hearty laugh) You would think they would have the slightest clue about quality... A horrible rip is so offensive to the ears...
                      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                      1997 Mustang GT
                      sigpic

Comment

Go on one of them 5000 mile drives in your hot rod...it's nice to have some tunes every now and then. Although you'll never hear the wow and flutter if you have a real motor in it
                        MP3 player is the only way to roll. I have made long distance drives almost every year since 2000, and quite a few before that, and the radio selection has been going downhill for some time now. Unless you like gospel or country, there isnt much to listen to on the road without satellite radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                          MP3 player is the only way to roll. I have made long distance drives almost every year since 2000, and quite a few before that, and the radio selection has been going downhill for some time now. Unless you like gospel or country, there isnt much to listen to on the road without satellite radio.
                          It's tejano and rap down here, and thank you front mount USB!! You can burn your own genre's and carry days worth of music in your pocket.

Comment

LOLOL.... I remember back when transistors were replacing tubes and the wattage war went into high gear. At that time I visited a "hi-fi" store and the sales guy exclaims this baby has 350 watts per channel! Oh yea? A quick flip of the unit reveals the max power draw on the electrical plug as 300watts max. After a bunch of stammering I get the explanation on how "music power" is different than the power draw. Yea, right. And thats how the flux capacitor was born. I still have classic tube (valve) stereo over here.
                            Shelter animals make great pets

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              dual exhaust IS stereo
                              I'dda never thought it, but this whole discussion hits way close to home. No, not close - BOOM there goes home.

I've got an aging Corvette's worth ($) of sound equipment in the band room. In fact, I even showed it to Matt one time he came to visit..."HERE'S my Corvette." I chose a Corvette only as a means of comparison.

But now I have Red, a bone stock ride with a ..what is it...a Shaker factory sound system? Big speakers in the door panels. No subwoofer anywhere though.

And I'd rather hear that stock Mustang engine at 5000. That IS music. I love it. I've tried the radio, I turn it right back off. That just doesn't go with the moment.

So everybody with a tear in your eye realize your little feller peewee might not be growed up and haired over just yet, but at least his voice is changing...
                              Last edited by pdub; January 16, 2012, 02:53 PM.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X