Looking for Info on Antique Race Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Info on Antique Race Pic

Following is a pic of an old Buick in an early 1900's race. The guy smiling in the passenger seat is the grandfather (maybe great-grandfather?) of one of our friends, who was one of the first Buick dealers in the US. Also attached is a period account of the event but with little specifics. Our friend's family would love to have more info such as the name of the driver or other specifics.

Other than that, it's just a cool old pic. Our friend's cousin turned it up along with the typed account from the Timken magazine of the period (is Timken still publishing a mag?). No one in the family knows any more than what is on these pics.

Thanks
    Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanStokes; January 16, 2012, 08:01 AM. Reason: The pics aren't uploading

After rereading the article I'm thinking the driver is "Chevrolet" but we don't know if it's Louis or Gaston - did they both drive? Also, we don't know if "Chevrolet" was the driver in the pic or if there was more than one Buick in the race. Anyone know what the Chevrolet brothers looked like? Maybe other pictures of The Boys? Mysteries.......

Dan

Comment

Google and I turned up a little more info. Both Louis and Gaston drove and Gaston in fact won the (I think) 1919 Indy 500. What I found was an old newsreel from the 1960s with a dude with British accent narrating. The screen shots of the Chevrolets were so brief that I couldn't tell if one of them looked like the driver in the pic. So we still don't know who might be behind the wheel in the pic.

Dan

Comment

Arthur Chevrolet was the third brother

Comment

I found some "Arthur" entries but didn't chase them down. I didn't know there was a third bro. So our unknown driver could be one of three - if indeed that's a Chevrolet behind the wheel in the pic..

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X