No announcement yet.

Diesel Fuel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, great advice on tipping the box. Never thought of that, I've got two tanks on Big Red that need new senders.

You never know when you'll get a good tip, here.
    I'm still learning

Comment

Fred the Mechanic is done with the fuel tank deal and the truck is about done and ready for me. They pulled the tank but then they have it up on a hoist and have a tall trans jack and several guys to carry stuff as needed. They just have to check the A/C coolant level (they won't tell me where the Freon dipstick is located) and check the brake pads so I should get it tomorrow morning. Compared to the Dakota it seems like the North Carolina (on static display here in Wilmington). MUCH bigger truck!

Tipping the box would probably be the way to go, especially if you were working alone and.or w/o hoist.

They'll save the screwed up fuel pickup for me so I'll take some pics tomorrow. Watch this space for updates.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; January 16, 2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I was referring to the bio one would get at the pump, thats the reason I said pipeline, pipeline being where we would pick it up.
        On certain customers that need a winter additive we use a brand call Hytek, its a 2 gallon jug and treats 7500 gallons at a time.
        Glad your truck is close to being home Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          They just have to check the A/C coolant level (they won't tell me where the Freon dipstick is located)
          They got rid of the dipstick(sight glass) years ago..........Now you need a scale............Or if your good like me, you just know by the pressures..........

Comment

Dan, in case it hasn't been said - it's bad to run a diesel truck out of fuel.... ruins most if not all of a day.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sounds to me like this truck has seen some junk fry grease fuel - many vehicles have fallen pray to the " I can make my own fuel and drive for free " shenanigans that have made restaurant owners all over the world think thier used fryer oil is worth several bucks a gallon.

The ATF suggestion is a good one, I've read on some forums about guys running used crankcase oil and atf through centrifuges and small micron filters and then running it in the diesel at some high percentages - one guy doing this owned a trans shop - so he obviously had plenty of used atf to play with, I've played with this a little - your mileage may vary.

You can spend a small fortune on diesel additives - once you know your fuel system is in good shape - buy a case of cheap atf on sale and add a quart at every fill up - I don't see it doing anything but helping - especially pumps and injectors.

Don't forget to check the framistat modulator and the kanuten valve - both of those can make for a very bad day if they fail on a road trip.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

the friend owns a small company called US Crane... when he talks about diesels I listen quite carefully and take notes.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                X