Names and Faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names and Faces

I'm perfectly suited for and pretty good at the job I do. But I have a design problem that doesn't come with age, I've had it all of my life.

Names. When I introduce myself to someone, I say, "Hi, I'm Rusty" (I can't get hardly anybody at work to call me peewee - they're all scared to do it for some reason). So I say that and from my perspective what comes back is, "I'm #^yci76^%%4." Okay. A blank spot. I didn't hear a thing and 4 seconds later I don't know this person's name.

I've tried the thing where you listen intently and repeat the person's name right back to them, that doesn't work for me. 20 seconds later it's gone. It's not in this world that I don't care, it just won't stick. I've tried finding a "hook," and that works if I can do it - that is, find a hook. This guy's last name is Mason, like the Stone Masons cult. But if I can't find a hook, I'm lost again.

I'm in the wrong line of work. There's one of me and about 700 of the other folks, all who know my name, but... This week we have 6 new hires I'm orienting, and danged if....well I wish I had a photo, danged if 3 of them don't look really alike. It's embarrassing. You are Matt, right? No, I'm Evan. Dang, I apolgize. Over and over.

It bugs me. I don't think I cn fix it. So when we have the BangShift Jam in Michigan, I'll just be me. I'll say for the 5th time, "And you are.....?" I'm sorry, I'm missing a valuable part of my brain. And I know it. Wasn't born with it. Just ain't got it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I've got it too. I resort to calling new aquaintances dude and bud. Hey Mac, I feel your pain.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
      I've got it too. I resort to calling new aquaintances dude and bud. Hey Mac, I feel your pain.
      "Now" works - "Hey now!"

"Man" works - "Hey Man!"

Or just "Hey."

It's embarrassing as hell, they know my name but I have no clue what theirs is. It's gonna follow me to my grave. I just wish I could do better at it. I hate it.

Comment

Works better for me if I actually write it down....
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Got the same problem. Someone can tell me their name and I almost immediately forget it.

What was the question again Randy?
          Last edited by BluLightning; January 17, 2012, 04:48 PM.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
            Got the same problem. Someone can tell me their name and I almost immediately forget it.

What was the question again Randy?
            How'd you know about Randy? My first wife's aunt called me Randy until she died. She was close to right. Closer than I can get most times.

Comment

Don't call me DUDE!!!!!! Man is acceptable.......If I don't know your name I will ask it, if I forget it I'll tell you I forgot it and ask it again.........

Here's one for you, do you remember the waiters name at the last restaurant you were at??..........

Comment

You didn't strangle her for calling you Randy, did you?
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                  Don't call me DUDE!!!!!! Man is acceptable.......If I don't know your name I will ask it, if I forget it I'll tell you I forgot it and ask it again.........

Here's one for you, do you remember the waiters name at the last restaurant you were at??..........
                  Better yet, what color were the waiter's eyes? It's all there for us to capture and remember. I'm just a dud at observation. I'm no good at it, and I know it. The names thing is glaring. That's huge.

And I wouldn't be a good witness at a crime scene at all. "I heard a noise" is about all I could contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                    You didn't strangle her for calling you Randy, did you?
                    No, I've been called worse. In Southernese, "Bless her heart." Poor old girl passed away when it was her time, but she always thought I was Randy. Kinda cute, really. She was close to right. Close enough for government work for sure.
                    Last edited by pdub; January 17, 2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

When we had new guys helping out crewing at the track, and couldn't remember their names, we'd just call them "Bob". That worked OK until we had actually had a person named Bob. LOL

I'm sure that nametags will be in order for the BS gathering. This will be mine:

cheers
                      Ed N.
                      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I was going to suggest name tags for the new hires, like Ed said. Completely appropriate and I doubt anyone would object. I'm really good at observing details (#2 always said I'd make a good detective) but I can't remember names either. Unless I know what they drive - THAT helps.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                          When we had new guys helping out crewing at the track, and couldn't remember their names, we'd just call them "Bob". That worked OK until we had actually had a person named Bob. LOL

I'm sure that nametags will be in order for the BS gathering. This will be mine:

cheers
                          Ed N.
                          Which brings me to another thing. Aren't we all amazed at how these threads wander off topic and how often I cause it?

At the BS Jam in MI, should we or should we not....well, wait., I'm a record-keeping nerd by profession. Should we have a sign-in sheet and I can scan it and post it and all can see who all was there?

Just a thought. A trophy of sorts...but I'm a nerd. A real nerd.

Comment

I have a hard time remembering my name some days, lots of nick names at work like... bullfrog,....the mastercrater (wood shop guy),.......fuzzy bunny (skinny kid that rides a yamaha, that was the biker name we gave him),.........dale- do,.......danno,..........booger,..........marky mark,.........mr. poopyhead (mine) and pigpen (mine also)
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I guess I'm blessed in that department, always been good at it. Until last year I had been in the same job field for 22 years,and known some guys and gals for that length of time, I was always meeting new people almost daily, most of remembering some of the names was to just write them on the back of my hand and what they did and later to paper and have that note with me the next time I returned, didnt take long to remember 400-500 names.

Comment

Working...
                              X