Tires . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires . . .

So I've been driving the hot rod pretty much daily, rain/snow mountains/plains, you name it. I'm in one of those funks where I'm hung up on driving what I built. Anywho, I need some new tires. The last few snow storms have really driven this point home.... Remington xt 120s w/about 3/32 tread left.

Looking At the Mastercraft Avenger G/Ts .... They're reasonably priced have a decent traction rating and such, anyone run them? Suggestions on something better?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

mastercraft is a decent brand, and cooper has recently re-aligned the pricing on that brand, about 10% cheaper....

what size?

i am guessing 275-60-15?
    Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 17, 2012, 09:23 PM.
    Charles

Comment

I buy tires according to treadwear ratings. The higher the better for best mileage, for performance I have to give a little up. Just me.

Comment

Its your car so Id say Hoosier QTP's. You asked. LOL.

Comment

The higher the treadwear the harder the tire.

Comment

white-letter bfg's
            formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
            http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Originally posted by ksj2 View Post
              Its your car so Id say Hoosier QTP's. You asked. LOL.
              I tried those the first snow of the season Don, but I think they were too worn .... LOL

Comment

The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are a nice alternative to the old BFG Radial T/A. Similar pricing and size availability, but a newer design tire with better performance. We put a set on my boss's 67 Mustang to replace an old hard set of T/As, they work nice on it.

cheers
                Ed N.
                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

275x60 on the rear, and since I'm going back to power steering, probably a 235 or 245x60 on the front. I don't want "snow" tires, just something that is decent in snow and has good tread wear.

Looking around, there's not a lot out there in the 15" world anymore....especially in a 60 or 50 series.

Comment

Tire rack is a good source of information - it's funny to read the reviews - some are amazingly conflicting.

I'd say buy what's made here - but that's getting harder and harder to do - regardless of brand.

Look at the TTT ratings as mentioned, and look at the DOT codes on the tires they're going to install - make sure you don't get a set that's been sitting around for years in the shop. Some tire "experts" say you should scrap tires that are as new as 7 years old regardless of treadwear. DOT codes are four digits - first two are the week, second two the year. A tire made this week would have a 0312 code.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

This is the 3rd winter with a set of Mastercraft Touring LSRs on my #4000 Dodge Magnum. In the snow, they are much better than the factory Goodyears they replaced (even when the goodyears were new) and on the street, I'd say they are within 85% of the stickiness of the Goodyears.
                      They are wearing well, and roadnoise is equal to the Goodyears, which is nill.

Had a small issue with losing air, but that is due to the crap metal these newer factory rims are cast from. Seems they react with rubber and lose the seal, what a deal for a rim and tire to have huh? But again, according to my tire guy, its new newer factory rims only.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        This is the 3rd winter with a set of Mastercraft Touring LSRs on my #4000 Dodge Magnum. In the snow, they are much better than the factory Goodyears they replaced (even when the goodyears were new) and on the street, I'd say they are within 85% of the stickiness of the Goodyears.
                        They are wearing well, and roadnoise is equal to the Goodyears, which is nill.

Had a small issue with losing air, but that is due to the crap metal these newer factory rims are cast from. Seems they react with rubber and lose the seal, what a deal for a rim and tire to have huh? But again, according to my tire guy, its new newer factory rims only.

I have a '97 and '98 with alloy rims and there's always 1 tire that doesn't seem to hold air, one goes down to 15 eventually and the other 25 psi. They're older tires too, but as far as I can tell, it's the same deal. I guess I'll see when I get new tires for the truck.

My brother has a set of Mastercraft's on his Coronet, not sure the model, but they're the same tread pattern as my Cooper Cobras. He doesn't drive it much and never in the snow, but I did notice his cheaper Mastercrafts were made in USA but my more expensive Cobras were Mexican. The last set was USA though.

Comment

But how are the Mastercrafts in bad weather?.....snow and such? Do they handle well on dry pavement?

Comment

they will be similar to your old remingtons on dry pavement. the coopers have more siping in the tread, so they would do "better" in snow, but really, its a wide tire on a big powered car.... they will only be "so" good

my uniroyal tp gts tires on my suburban did ok in snow. that tread is pretty close to bfg t/a's.

finding matching tread 60's series 15" tires isnt always super easy to do...

if it was mine, i would put the avengers on it....
                            no, if it was mine, it would be parked and i would drive the 05 monte with the Nitto snow tires on it...
                            Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 18, 2012, 05:11 PM.
                            Charles

Comment

You guys are so cool with all your tire prattle! I think tires are one of the most BORING things to buy on earth, I guess that is a chic thing.

and BTW 1badmonkey your sig pic just kills me everytime I see it, what were you up to?
                              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Working...
                              X