Tires . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
    You guys are so cool with all your tire prattle! I think tires are one of the most BORING things to buy on earth, I guess that is a chic thing.

and BTW 1badmonkey your sig pic just kills me everytime I see it, what were you up to?
    hmm, it isnt me!!!

i was trying to find a creative way to express my feeling to a manager i had, before i became self employed.... that pic was the closest i could find without actually emailing him the big F- you!!!!

also, tires make great conversation! some of us even try to support our families by selling them!!!
    Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 18, 2012, 05:25 PM.
    Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
      hmm, it isnt me!!!

i was trying to find a creative way to express my feeling to a manager i had, before i became self employed.... that pic was the closest i could find without actually emailing him the big F- you!!!!

also, tires make great conversation! some of us even try to support our families by selling them!!!
      Can I borrow that picture for my manager?

Tires just don't hold the attraction for me. I am not a big shopper of anything though.
      Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 18, 2012, 05:33 PM.
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

a mention of alloys and losing.

I have some 1987 alloys, rally something..not gms version being sporty looking an pansy, I mean RALLY something peugeot, jump off a cliff with them.

I found alloys are way better than steel until you get into very high psi. clean the bead with a scrubber wheel and drill gun before next go with whatever tire. todays compounds don't lose..blame dirty wheel bead first.

mine lose nothing now. just today it is 38F to 0.

only anomoly left is remembering to leave ebrake off..rotors cave in.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
          they will be similar to your old remingtons on dry pavement. the coopers have more siping in the tread, so they would do "better" in snow, but really, its a wide tire on a big powered car.... they will only be "so" good

my uniroyal tp gts tires on my suburban did ok in snow. that tread is pretty close to bfg t/a's.

finding matching tread 60's series 15" tires isnt always super easy to do...

if it was mine, i would put the avengers on it....
          no, if it was mine, it would be parked and i would drive the 05 monte with the Nitto snow tires on it...
          I hear what your saying ... but I built it to drive and I guess you could say I'm proving to myself it's a street car.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
            Can I borrow that picture for my manager?

Tires just don't hold the attraction for me. I am not a big shopper of anything though.
            First - I thought you like Blue Lightning signature?

Second - waiting for someone else to shop for A.- shoes, or B. Handbags (Meechi? in particular) is the most boring thing to do.
            At least new tires smell good. And even better roasted - ever heard that about a handbag HUH ? We'll not get into the smell of shoes at this time, thank you very much.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
              I hear what your saying ... but I built it to drive and I guess you could say I'm proving to myself it's a street car.
              hell yes! I get where you are coming from, and respect the crap outa ya for it too!

i would still go with the mastercraft tires....
              Charles

Comment

My Mastercrafts do a good job in the snow. Better than the Goodyears that it came with.......being a station wagon I've a fair amount of weight on the rear (Magnum = RWD), I've scaled it and it has a 48%-52% weight bias, which is similar to a van I ran with Mud-n-Snows on it. I'd say the Magnum is within 90% of the snow performance of that van, only thing that stops it is the lack of ground clearance!
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  My Mastercrafts do a good job in the snow. Better than the Goodyears that it came with.......being a station wagon I've a fair amount of weight on the rear (Magnum = RWD), I've scaled it and it has a 48%-52% weight bias, which is similar to a van I ran with Mud-n-Snows on it. I'd say the Magnum is within 90% of the snow performance of that van, only thing that stops it is the lack of ground clearance!

Great point! and I think I can add a few hundred pounds to the back end for the winter months to aid in traction.

And just so you guys know, I'm not going to be taking this thing out in a major storm/blizzard. But over the past few months I've driven it out to a job site on a nice sunny/clear morning, only to have a decent snow storm hit early in the day .... and I have to get the car home.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I would say just about any all season tire with a full tank of gas (weight) and some more weight added to the trunk (sand bags?)
                    is going to get you through that bad day you have to get home after a snow storm hit while you're on the job. Sounds like the mastercrafts are a good tire!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Not much info on the brands mentioned. Once I could afford them I went to Michelins and have never regretted buying a set. The ones on the Dakota have at least 40K miles on them and they took me over the WV/VA mountains with light snow as I returned from Ohio with the car trailer full of mezzanine. Plenty of tire left on them, too. The old Ford F150 still has a set on there that are at least 12 years old and there's plenty of tread left. Just put a set on the new Dodge - they were pricey but carry a 75K warranty and I'll bet they make it that far.

Someone in this thread said that you get more miles out of a tire by making it harder. Well, that's what they do for a cheaper tire. Better tires can get the mileage up by better carcass design, wrap angle of the belts, and other tricks. It costs more for the engineering and better quality control but it adds to the mileage without the downsides of hard tires. My son the tire store manager was at the Perelli proving ground in Texas and they explained the above concept in detail as part of his training there. So I pay thru the snout for Michelins (or Perellis) and keep being satisfied.

Dan

Comment

The more I learn about tires (there's ALOT to learn about tires) the more I respect Michelin.

For a car I'm going to keep a long time, and NOT do burn outs in - if I can afford it - Michelin it will be.

For a car I'm GOING to do burn outs in - no michelins for the rear at least!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yup, in many cases (but not always), you get what you pay for with tires. I'd rather have a crap car with great tires than a good car with so-so rubber. In my experience, Michelins and Bridgestones are generally very good quality tires with very few issues as far as balance / construction.

cheers
                          Ed N.
                          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

i bought some cheap tires the other day (225-50-17) and the ride is crap and i dont thonk they are round!
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                              275x60 on the rear, and since I'm going back to power steering, probably a 235 or 245x60 on the front. I don't want "snow" tires, just something that is decent in snow and has good tread wear.

Looking around, there's not a lot out there in the 15" world anymore....especially in a 60 or 50 series.
                              That's one of my issues right now. About 5 years ago I bought 4 Torque Thruster D's in 15 x 7 for my Mustang. They're still new in box. The size I really need are drying up. Do I keep and use the rims and lower the value or sell them and up grade to the very popular 17"? If I went to the 17" I could run a wider tire on the front because I now can get a wheel with an ideal offset along with clearing the UCA and BJ vs running a 205/60/15.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X