Tool Labeling.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Labeling.........

I stole this pic from Liz Miles page on facebook.......I'm not sure how good of an idea this is, I normally can just look at a socket and tell you what size it is.....It's something you pic up after a decade of wrenching on cars day in and day out........But I guess for a weekend warrior it could be a good idea......I'm just thinking with all the air tools I use, those labels would be shredded up in no time.......... So what do you think??............

that is silly.
    the tools got marks engraved.

the holes for each one is a good way to know a socket is not in the carburator though, am liking the tray

I kept one of those plastic cases that sold for 20 bucks and the worlds worst tools, filled it up on my own, just for the holes to keep track.

airplane toolboxes are similar..good habit. A tool missing could be some serious.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think someone has too much time on their hands.

If it makes it easier to read, I am all for it. I segregate my metric tools from my SAE, but when working on something that has both and they get mixed, that would make it easier to tell a 12mm from a 1/2" socket. As long as grease and oil don't affect the labels.

Harbor Freight has a color coded set of sockets. That would be an easy way of labelling as well.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Perfect example of OCD.

I just got a set of those socket holders with the pegs so the sockets stand up on the drive end - they are labeled, the sockets are labeled (although some of those labels are getting harder to read)

If all you do is look at your tools - maybe it's a good idea - if you actually use them - those labels wouldn't last a week.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yeah TC, but how good are you with identifying allen wrenches or torx bits?
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            Perfect example of OCD.

I just got a set of those socket holders with the pegs so the sockets stand up on the drive end - they are labeled, the sockets are labeled (although some of those labels are getting harder to read)

If all you do is look at your tools - maybe it's a good idea - if you actually use them - those labels wouldn't last a week.
            yep, look at the socket at the bottom center

I like the etched tools, but even the etching eventually wears off (I really need to make another Craftsman tool-swap run).

I really hope Liz doesn't keep doing things that make her a stereotype... (like doing Martha Stewart crap with tools)
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 18, 2012, 08:07 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

As we get older our eyesight gets weaker. I find I need more light to read stuff - but I still can generally pick up the right tool by instinct. Sometimes, however, my vernier eyeballs fail me these days. The labels, however, aren't going to hold up. Many of the newer tools are laser etched with sizes and that would probably be more helpful for old farts like me.

Dan

Comment

Isn't it much easier to make a huge mess with everything then have your loving wife sort it all back where it goes? I spend time in the shop with Loren but admittedly cannot do the kind of things he does so to be useful I sweep, wipe and sort things. It is not a very cool contribution, but it seems to be worthwhile and then I am not just sitting there drinking and watching
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I try to only use old sockets that have the size stamped into them. The really old ones I have that I can identify just by the wear on them.

But the label idea would be good for the robot team. If only we could afford a labelmaker, or more specifically lots of tape for it.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I pretty much spray paint all my stuff SBC orange ..... my partner that I work with paints his stuff yellow, that way we know who's stuff is who's when we are done with a job. This is mainly construction equip/tools .... mechanics tools? mine are Craftsman and SnapOn. His are pretty much anything but. That type of labeling seems a bit excessive to me.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      Perfect example of OCD.

I also have the socket holders with the pegs. They work slick. I got them at the Mall-Side tool and tarp store in Bangor, which boxer is probably familiar with.

I don't wrench every day, but I would shred those labels in short order. Looks nice when it's all freshly done though.

A lot of the newer stuff I've bought has much larger engravings on the sockets so they are easier to read.

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                        Isn't it much easier to make a huge mess with everything then have your loving wife sort it all back where it goes? I spend time in the shop with Loren but admittedly cannot do the kind of things he does so to be useful I sweep, wipe and sort things. It is not a very cool contribution, but it seems to be worthwhile and then I am not just sitting there drinking and watching
                        I think it's an awesome contribution. I've never had a girlfriend that would do that for me and, believe me, it means a lot. Not only do you want to help, but it shows you give a crap about what he's doing.

Comment

how do the labels deal with kerosene/mineral spirits? If they can stay stuck and don't lose the print, it might be easier on old eyes like mine.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                            I wish Rhonda would do that! Of course - she's usually watching Lee while I'm working on stuff - so - maybe someday!
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I don't do that stuff all the time, I was busy running the kids around to soccer etc and doing "women's work" (which I HATE) too...but now our youngest is 17 and hanging with her friends more and more, so I have some time on my hands, and learned long ago if you want "quality time" with your car guy husband you need to embrace some of his chit...
                              Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 18, 2012, 09:25 AM.
                              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Working...
                              X