Alarm or no alarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm or no alarm?

What do you think? My car is in "storage" for the winter, in a lower section of the parking garage of the building I live in.
    Out of habit, I disconnected the battery. Any thoughts as to whether I'd be better off with the stock alarm armed?

Not a particularly valuable car, '97 Mustang GT, but...
    1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
    1997 Mustang GT
    sigpic

disconnecting the battery is better than having the alarm go off and make people mad at the car, and consiquently key it, door ding it, etc.

Unfortunately - if someone wants it bad enough - they're going to winch it up on a roll back tow truck and take it away - sombitches did that in the light of day at ford buildings - just drug vehicles up onto the roll away truck and drove away - no body said a word, they must not have noticed the drive wheels were dragging, not rolling.

No alarm, fuel or ignition cut off switch is going to prevent someone from towing it away, it sucks, but that's reality.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Can you hear the alarm from where you are most of the time? if not, it's probably not going to help....
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm so conditioned to false alarms I tend to ignore them anyway. My '98 GT will drain the battery in about 4-6 weeks, no alarm after that anyway so I disconnect it. It's a convertible, so I leave the doors unlocked as well, hoping that it will keep whoever from cutting the top to get into it. A buddy at work had a 98 Cobra and did the same, and they *STILL* cut the top to open the unlocked door. I can't remember if there is a specific fuse for the fuel pump, but it might be worth checking.

PATS helps - does it have the chip in the key? If they're serious enough to be able to burn a key for it, like Milner said, they'll get it one way or another. I see cars get towed here every now and then and I try to remember the tow company name just in case somebody reports it stolen. They'll load them up on flatbeds here and act like it's a repo - flat out brazen.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yes, it has PATS, I like that feature. It's covered, and sitting beside a Ducati motorcycle, so hopefully it's the least attractive thing around!
          I park my daily beside my truck, so I can at least visually check that one each day!
          1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
          1997 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X