Lady posing with Horsey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady posing with Horsey

OK its not a car but think of it as 1HP transportation...

Back 6 or 7 years I was facing a midlife thing. Everything seemed so difficult, my job, my Mom's health spiraling down, the list went on and on.
    My lovely sister decided to "adopt" a PMU mare and of course I jumped on the band wagon it was a great distraciton and something I hoped would be really positive as opposed to the other stuff that was going on.
    PMU mares were kept pregnant and Premarin was extraced from their urine for the female hormone replacement drug of the same name. Once synthetic Premarin was developed suddenly the mares were out of a job and being downsized. In the Horse world downsized means sold for meat. A rescue organization posted them on the internet to save them from slaughter. My mare rode a cattle hauler all the way from Canada, pregnant and with no breaks along with 20 other draft horses who had been adopted in our town.
    When she arrived she was downright dangerous, no touching of the ears, very jumpy, totally hormonal, I was lucky to have a farrier who could handle her feet, she hated for you to touch her feet and they needed a trim something awful.
    I recently placed her son with a friend down the road because I just don't have time for two and he is quite a handful, also Hay is now $21 a bale out here!
    MLK day Nancy goaded me into trying to take my mare Bam Bam out on a trail ride. I have only ridden her a few times in 6 years and this seemed like quite the challenge...
    We got her in the trailer with a bit of persuasion and off we went. I got the saddle on her which she had always had a fit about, and after a try or two got on her and we had the most lovely 2 hour trail ride! She listened, she was not afraid of the cattle, she did not spook or shy away from anything.
    I have always been smitten by this horse and am overjoyed that a new chapter in our relationship is opening up. She is a very pretty girl, part Clydesdale and part Quarter, she is bouncy and fun and looks very pretty whether walking, trotting or cantering. Her name is Bam Bam because if she wants something she will paw the ground, or the fence, or the trailer...when I got her I was thinking of those names a 16 yr old girl would name their horse like "Lightning" or "Beauty" or something but she chose her own name and will come to me when I call her...
    Thanks for letting me share my horsey story, and for putting up with a non-car thread...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	878320 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	878321

~gail
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 18, 2012, 09:12 AM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

It's all about the HORSEPOWER!
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

sounds like you might be a "horse-whisper", I have two horses and they dont listen or do much anything else except come running for sweet feed.

Comment

Good job - nice sturdy looking mount there - looks like a war horse for a knight in armor or a lady as in this case.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Great story coming from a fellow horse lover! Keep up the work with her and she will turn into a great mount.

Linda

Comment

I am so not a horse whisperer...
            Not long after she came to my house we had a very wet winter and I had trouble keeping a dry area in the pen. she had been getting Thrush on and off for a couple months and I was treating it with the Purple stuff...
            It had been a while since she had Thrush but one day I was sitting out there just talking to her, I was still pretty hesitant to get in her way and get myself hurt, she came up to me and gently lifted her front leg and touched my knee. I thought is this the same horse that is so terrified of having her feet touched? Apparently at the Canada ranch they would walk them next to a tilt table strap them down, tilt the table and file thier feet with power tools...wonder why she was scared?!?
            Anyway I looked and sure enough the Thrush had come back and it was hurting her. I truly believe she asked for help to make her foot feel better. Of all the horses I have had through my life this is the only one that ever made an effort to communicate with me on my level.

She stole my heart the day she got off the truck and continues to suprise me to this day! I love her to pieces!
            Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 18, 2012, 12:21 PM.
            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Holy shit, $21 a bale! It's only 4 here.

Comment

That's a pretty girl in those pics - and the horse ain't bad either! Cool that you two are getting to trust each other. We found that with former race horses it was best to put them in the field all day and otherwise leave them alone for a year or so so they could forget what happened to them and get used to the fact that you weren't going to do those things to them. (For you non-horse people - American race horses are taught to run INTO the bit so the harder the jockey pulls the faster the horse runs in an effort to get away from the bit. NOT what you want for hunters and jumpers.)

I have to agree that Bam-Bam looks like a jousting horse, ready to have her knight knocked on his butt. Good thing you're a Lady.

Dan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1171.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	859724My oldest Daughter works with a Horse Rescue Mission plus she has 4 Horses of her own, I know two of them are Barrel horses, she may have more then that and just doesn't tell me about them. I think some of the rescued Horses came from Kentucky and they were used in much the same way you described and then when they were done with them they were ready for meat so that's where the mission comes in and rescues them plus any mis-treated horses in the local area. Here's a load of Hay she went after last week, I'm guessing her Hay is cheaper then the fuel for my Hot Rods!
                  sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Bruh-Huh-Huh-Huh Huh huh huh .... I can make the horse sound pretty good, but I don't know how to spell it.

Pretty horse, pretty lady, what can I say? Nice. Very nice.

When I was riding my bicycle across 13 states in a younger life I was always amazed when I got home at how many horse photos I took. Horse! Click. Lots of horse pics amongst all the other scenery.

I dunno, I'm not and never will be a horse person, but they sure did seem to attract the camera lens.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

One Horsepower or 500, all of it taken in context, and it always makes sense.

It takes a special lady (and husband) to take in a gal like this. I've never personally owned a horse (most especially with the medical history of Bam Bam), but the family has had just a few down on the farm from many different places and they are always a delight. It's always an effort of love to take in an unknown quantity and them nurture them back to social graces, a well-behaved horse is a delight in many ways, and not just to children always. I'm glad she feels comfortable enough to lay a hoof on your knee. That's a good horse.

Give a city girl an apple (or sugar cane husks after Thanksgiving holiday grinding for syrup YUM), and introduce her to your Grandfather's horse... let said horse drool on feet, copiously. Buy said city girl some new tennis shoes LOL Very telling whether or not said city girl will turn out to be a keeper or not... and she is a keeper, 20 years and going!

Great Job and beautiful horse! Many wishes that she keeps delighting you for year after year
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]8045[/ATTACH]My oldest Daughter works with a Horse Rescue Mission plus she has 4 Horses of her own, I know two of them are Barrel horses, she may have more then that and just doesn't tell me about them. I think some of the rescued Horses came from Kentucky and they were used in much the same way you described and then when they were done with them they were ready for meat so that's where the mission comes in and rescues them plus any mis-treated horses in the local area. Here's a load of Hay she went after last week, I'm guessing her Hay is cheaper then the fuel for my Hot Rods!
                        OMG! I so have "load of Hay" envy right now!

Comment

Originally posted by 99_ls1 View Post
                          One Horsepower or 500, all of it taken in context, and it always makes sense.

It takes a special lady (and husband) to take in a gal like this. I've never personally owned a horse (most especially with the medical history of Bam Bam), but the family has had just a few down on the farm from many different places and they are always a delight. It's always an effort of love to take in an unknown quantity and them nurture them back to social graces, a well-behaved horse is a delight in many ways, and not just to children always. I'm glad she feels comfortable enough to lay a hoof on your knee. That's a good horse.

Give a city girl an apple (or sugar cane husks after Thanksgiving holiday grinding for syrup YUM), and introduce her to your Grandfather's horse... let said horse drool on feet, copiously. Buy said city girl some new tennis shoes LOL Very telling whether or not said city girl will turn out to be a keeper or not... and she is a keeper, 20 years and going!

Great Job and beautiful horse! Many wishes that she keeps delighting you for year after year

Love your city girl test!

Comment

Nice horse!

Gonna be in any Budweiser Superbowl ads?

(cue the Rocky theme)
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
                              Holy shit, $21 a bale! It's only 4 here.
                              My first memory of hay value (at about 12-13 yrs. old) was getting paid $.01 per bale out of the field, into the stake truck, into the barn. Usually 6-8 of us guys the first day - then 3-4 the second day, cause the other 4 crapped out. But $5.00 each was good money in the 60's and we'd put up 500 bales a day (5 loads or so) of nice 60-80 lb. bales of good alfalfa in Michigan near where Mr. Stokes grew up. They cost the boss $.25 per bale from the George Brothers.
                              Last edited by 70chevyC-10; January 18, 2012, 06:44 PM.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X