It's the most horrible time of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the most horrible time of the year

The woman who keeps me sane wrote this today after our pipes froze again. Right now the house is 57F, its 6F ambient, with a -30F windchill. The woodstove is roaring and pumping out heat, but the wind is whisking it away. If it gets over 65F in the house today I will be impressed.

Andy Williams was being far too optimistic. (Preface: I'm not actually this bitter about winter, but I was inspired.)

With the cost of home heating

Soon everyone's needing another career

It's the mis-miserable season of all

With influenza season and coughing and sneezing

Kids sicker than all

It's the crap-crappiest season of all

There'll be pipes for freezing

And your car engine seizing

And hypothermia out in the snow

There'll be cabin fever stories

And tales of the horrors of

Winters long, long ago

There'll be firewood hauling

And snowblowing and plowing

The end is nowhere near

There'll be weather providing

Black ice for sliding

And your car going off of the road

There'll be layers of clothes

But you'll still freeze your toes

Summer seems so long, long ago

Roofs will be bowing

The sun's never showing

And the snowmobilers claim they love it here

It's the most horrible time

It's the most horrible time of the year!

The yard today about ten minutes ago. we are low on snow for this time of year, but it looks to be catching up.

Comment

You're a POET!

PDUB - this must be recorded!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I am actually loving the cold this year.

when I stay burned into january the past summer was a killer.

it just hit ten F, feels way too warm, like a fake.
        flopped around n the ground messing with an oil filter.
        uncheck the siezing car off the poem.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

send it my way, or give me directions cause I wanna ride!
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.
          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

If you want to ride a sled, her parents own a resort on Superior with cabins, very reasonable. Just drive to St Ignace Michigan, then head west on M28 to a place called Munising. Then its just 15 miles or so to the resort, or you can stay in Munising and ride all over the UP. If you do come up, stop by my place and we can bench race for a bit.

Comment

I really like the UP during the week of Summer. Quite beautiful - but don't try swimming in Lake Superior regardless of the air temp. Install beverages and they'll be cold year-round.

No thanks, Todd. You're a great guy but you can have Winter! I'm with yer Sweetie! Send here here to thaw out - it'll be 71 on Monday with 4 days of 60's and 70's at the end of this week. Airport code "ILM". Only 54 today, though. Oh wait - that's the temp INSIDE your house!!!!!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                If you want to ride a sled, her parents own a resort on Superior with cabins, very reasonable. Just drive to St Ignace Michigan, then head west on M28 to a place called Munising. Then its just 15 miles or so to the resort, or you can stay in Munising and ride all over the UP. If you do come up, stop by my place and we can bench race for a bit.
                I grew up riding sleds in Munising. You guys have a ton of great little bars and hotels along the sled trails up there. As for your wife and her poetry, I wish you guys lived closer because I dig your senses of humor!
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

i drove home with the window down from work, we hit like 72 today ........ that is all
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    You're a POET!

PDUB - this must be recorded!
                    I'll get right on it. I need the practice anyhow. If only I could make my voice sound like Andy Williams...didn't he do that one?
                    Last edited by pdub; January 19, 2012, 06:59 PM.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It usually sucks here but this year -not too bad, just cold but no snow unless the freak storm in Oct counts.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                        I grew up riding sleds in Munising. You guys have a ton of great little bars and hotels along the sled trails up there. As for your wife and her poetry, I wish you guys lived closer because I dig your senses of humor!
                        My Nebraska humor has rubbed off on her, that might be why you dig it. Someday we might move back to York Ne, dont hold your breath though. If we do then we definitely need to hang out, make some fuel, and go really fast.

Munising is an interesting place. Why Munising? Do you have family there?
                        Last edited by Thumpin455; January 19, 2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Dang it's a tiny world. ME's grandfather was a prof and for a while the Dean of the college in York! Been there on the way thru and stopped to see her Grandparent's house and the college. His name was Bisset and I think there's a building on campus named for him.

Dan

Comment

Ah yes, the campus in York. Many an evening I trolled there looking for females with wandering eyes. Never fared well since its a religious school.

Comment

Not to rub salt in the wounds but...it was a balmy 72 here today...last week and all this week its been 70ish....
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X