Help with the direction of a future Grand Marquis project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the direction of a future Grand Marquis project

Hello! I'm kind of new but I'm sure you're the kind of guys I need to give me idea for this project!

I got this nice rust free '86 Grand Marquis an uncle gave to me. Unfortunatly it overheated badly and the motor is shot. So, I've think of a couple option. Put another stock 5.0l and sell it, or swap a 5.8l from a E350 from a guy I know. A friend of mine told me I should do kind of an 80s marauder with it. What is your take on it? Please pardon my so-so english, it's not my first language.

Why not put a new 5.0 in it and hop it up with mustang goodies?
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

80's Marauder treatment would be cooool.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The 5.8 should swap in very easy. Personally, as clean as that Marquis is, I wouldn't do too much to the outside, and instead concentrate on wheels/tires and performance upgrades. I see the Cordoba in front of it, what's the story on that?
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
          The 5.8 should swap in very easy. Personally, as clean as that Marquis is, I wouldn't do too much to the outside, and instead concentrate on wheels/tires and performance upgrades. I see the Cordoba in front of it, what's the story on that?
          Thanks for your comments everyone.

The Cordoba was my daily driver for two summer but it need a carb, brakes, tires and the 360 is smoking a lot.

Comment

If it needs a good home, don't hesitate...
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I would go with the 351 , even better if its a roller cam block, if not I like the 302 roller better.
              On a budget personally I would lose the wire hubcaps, clean the steelies and paint satin or gloss black. If you can find window tint in a can I would black out the tail lights. Tint the windows and paint all the stainless trim and bumpers black. Dont forget the Floiwmasters!
              Last edited by realsteelfreak; January 20, 2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

another vote for a 351
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Lower it a little and get some black steelies with small hub caps for it and tint the windows it will look sweet.

Comment

Since it's EFI, it would be easier and less expensive to stay with a 302 deck height engine than going up to a 351, but it's certainly doable. Those late 80s Panther cars were available from the factory with a 351W, but they were never EFI, just had the variable venturi carb on a 2-bbl intake.

My suggestion would be a good used or rebuilt roller 302 with a set of GT-40 heads and intake, concentrate on building torque, nothing too crazy since the car has the speed-density EFI system ... and doing a swap to a MAF system is not nearly as easy or cheap as it would be on a Fox Mustang of the same era.

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I'm not a fan of those so.....I would sell / scrap it out and buy the panther / crown vic. Or sell it and fix the cordoba. I mean no offense , I like pleny of cars no one else loves.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

the vic and merc are the same car with diffrent lights and badges lol

if by panther you mean the the later oens all vics and marquise are "panthers" from there dabute in 1978 they rode ont eh same frame untill there cancelation in 2012
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Yep, later is what I'm talking about. Like the current cop cars . They are simply cool. They even look better than a 94-96 caprice cop car. Not as much oats though. Back to your car.I is very clean, (non rusty ) I think a 460 would get it moving well . If it doesnt have to be smogged every so often . If you keep with hub caps I'd find some wires with less center. Narrow the bumpers and tuck them in . If re chroming them after narrowing is to expensive then go with body color. Sorry I may have gotten carried away once I started thinking about it.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                          X