I talked to Marlan Davis today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I talked to Marlan Davis today.

A few months back Hot Rod magazine ran a facebook post looking for cars with drivability issues. I sent in my request mentioning the problems that my 442 has been having with detonation and asked if they would help. Little did I know that they would be calling me back. On my way home from work tonight I get a call from an unknown number, it's Marlan Davis. I pulled over and we talk for a few minutes and he mentions that my car has qualified for a free tuning session at a shop that they use often that is located about 50 miles north of my house.

The problem is my motor is sitting on a stand in the garage with 3 bad rod bearings. They are not looking for project cars or major repairs so this disqualified my car within 5 minutes. We did talk for another 10 minutes in which he helped me with potential problems that I may be having. When it was all said and done, he did mention that once the engine is back in the car and running, it would be worth a call back to him and they may help get it sorted out.

Now all I have to do is come up with some money to get the engine back together and give it another shot.

Marlan is a mad genius! Cool that you got to chat with him!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

dick miller would been a good guy to get a call from

Comment

That is friggin cool!
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Polish out your combustion chambers in the heads, get the timing to it best with an HEI dist and all the goodies and if that don't fix it time to go Chevy!
          I messed with Oldsmobile for over 25 years and never had a pinging problem?
          I did with a Pontiac once.
          Last edited by skullbucket; January 24, 2012, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I always wanted to share a Diet Coke with the dude. It would be excellent to pick his brain on the 250 - I'm guessing he has or can get good info on the Six. I THINK I have good input but it might be a bit biased.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              Marlan is a mad genius! Cool that you got to chat with him!
              Reading the Tech articles that Marlan has done over the years has been a Major inspiration to me and is the reason why I enjoy talking about the Tech part of our hobby so much..........

Comment

That's pretty cool. I've enjoyed reading his stuff over the years. Hopefully things will come together...figuratively and literally.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I had a couple of phone conversations with him 'way back in the early eighties when I had a car he was interested in (215 V8 Vega). I had pulled it apart and never did get it back together, but I remember his enthusiasm and helpfulness. With Marlan and DF in there, you know HotRod is in good hands.

Comment

tech talk has one question this month ..

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                      I had a couple of phone conversations with him 'way back in the early eighties when I had a car he was interested in (215 V8 Vega). I had pulled it apart and never did get it back together, but I remember his enthusiasm and helpfulness. With Marlan and DF in there, you know HotRod is in good hands.
                      No doo-doo! I thought I was the only idiot who built one. I LOVED mine and it was a ball to drive. D&D is still around and still offers the kit but I suspect the demand has slowed some.

Loren, we IS soul brothers!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by R442 View Post
                        A few months back Hot Rod magazine ran a facebook post looking for cars with drivability issues. I sent in my request mentioning the problems that my 442 has been having with detonation and asked if they would help. Little did I know that they would be calling me back. On my way home from work tonight I get a call from an unknown number, it's Marlan Davis. I pulled over and we talk for a few minutes and he mentions that my car has qualified for a free tuning session at a shop that they use often that is located about 50 miles north of my house.

The problem is my motor is sitting on a stand in the garage with 3 bad rod bearings. They are not looking for project cars or major repairs so this disqualified my car within 5 minutes. We did talk for another 10 minutes in which he helped me with potential problems that I may be having. When it was all said and done, he did mention that once the engine is back in the car and running, it would be worth a call back to him and they may help get it sorted out.

Now all I have to do is come up with some money to get the engine back together and give it another shot.
                        If the Olds has a 4 speed, I'll buy it and save you the cost of the repair
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                          If the Olds has a 4 speed, I'll buy it and save you the cost of the repair
                          It is a 4 speed but it's not for sale. Thanks for the offer though.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            Reading the Tech articles that Marlan has done over the years has been a Major inspiration to me and is the reason why I enjoy talking about the Tech part of our hobby so much..........
                            Same here, bro...

Comment

can't find v8 olds cranks anywhere

Comment

Working...
                              X