• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your truck/car's wiper vid!

Lets hear them!

Powertour off/on since 2002
    sigpic

strange request.

my 1987 daily sounds like your present decade of whatever the vid is..

a strange lesson today. I was out of washer fluid pounding the roads with the ken blocks of logger truck drivers around dover foxcroft maine and grabbed the only bottle I could find at the only store I knew. something rainx with deicer. the little sube is the color of diarhea so not much to notice when the whole car looks like the piant with road sand.

I used to hate that stuff, crazy reactor,and smudged glass like oil. Today it still took a few minutes but the glass went back to like new, and changed the idle speed of engine.

I wonder if it goes fiber optic in sun storms.
    I choose this for awhile see what happens. the glass is from 3 subarus ago, and about 250k miles..a 1987.

I have had to lube the linkage (4 years ago when it was 21 years original), I chose high temp synthetic, you use on wheel bearings.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I wanna be the first to say, I love Boxer and I understood every word of his answer, though I can't quite recite it.

I work with a Stuff Nerd. He's got a 16 meg thumb drive on his key chain that's as big as your little finger's fingernail. He scuba dives, has four-wheelers with chrome for the ages, he's a stuff guy. He's an artist, and damned good at what he does, graphic arts. He's got a degree in that, in fact.

He also bought some of the RainEx super-expensive wiper blades and says they're the Holy Grail. He's made more than one speech to me about it. Thrilled. He's not in much of a marriage, it seems, so the RainEx wiper blades are the biggest thrill he's had in quite some time.

Not in any way a commercial. Just passing that along.

Just sayin'
      Last edited by pdub; January 24, 2012, 05:40 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The Cherokee wipers have now decided to work sometimes...if you go over a bump they might start or if they are going they might stop. if you press the washer function they will probably go but maybe not. I hate all that stuff being on the turn signal stick! The brights should have been left on the FLOOR! The wipers should be on the dash! And the Cruise Control works unless you signal a right turn then it shuts off!

and Peewee I loved Boxer long before you!
        Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 24, 2012, 06:02 PM.
        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Best. Thread. Ever. lmao!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
            and Peewee I loved Boxer long before you!
            Well, it's all relative. It's not like I wanna crawl in bed with Boxer, or anything. No, that's on some other forum I don't go to. Would that be the Valkyrie motorcycle site? I mean, not for me, but...
            Last edited by pdub; January 24, 2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I missed something.

I'll be on ebay for sale.

I regret not capturing video of no sight but a peek hole below the rear view mirror and sustain 65mph so that damned truck could not pass and throw 18 more wheels of shit.

I may change my mind on the rainx. seems I got lucky that it worked..I have not had luck with itin the past.

was there ever a bad time for wipers in car history?
              an air driven 81 international cabover comes to mind. That is where I learned to drive with a pile of crap on the window...they were going to work when they feel like it.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Jeep Cherokee wipers...it appears our moody little motor is up under the dash somewhere, it sure ain't in the engine compartment. Oh, what fun that will be to pull out. Meanwhile, I've discovered you really can't drive in the rain without windshield wipers. Crap, you might have been doing OK in a mist but when a squall hits you can barely find your way to the side of the road.

A couple months ago I went to the auto parts store and bought ONE new wiper for my truck, the best familiar name brand. It was so expensive compared to what I remember paying (now you have to buy the whole f'n assembly of course) that I only bought for the driver side. Just as well, three weeks later and during the second rainstorm, it was leaving a perfect missed spot right in front of my face. Why is it that things that used to work so well are garbage now...my old unreplaced one on the passenger side is better than the new one.

I once bought a little jar of magical pink windshield rain repellant at the L.A. Auto Show, from a vendor back in the circus tents away from the actual building. Amazing, it worked fantastic. Water just ran right off. Except that a few days later the sh*t turned to the worst goo you could have stuck to your glass, you couldn't see through it in any weather and you couldn't scrape it off either.

A guy a couple classes ahead of me at my parochial high school was a bit admired by me for: Having hair length 'way beyond what the school rule allowed (this was the seventies, OK...), Having a primer-gray '69 Charger with slot mags that stuck well outside the jacked-up rear fenders, and to go with it he also drove a matching beater 50's Renault Dauphine (?) with spray-can flames and windshield wipers that were operated by reaching up to a knop on the top of the dash and pushing it left and right. These would be the one pair of windshield wipers that it would be worth having a video of the driver operating. With sound track, of course. He listed his life interest in the Annual as, "beverage" but with a can in one hand and the wiper knob in the other, how were you even able to drive in the rain?

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  Jeep Cherokee wipers...it appears our moody little motor is up under the dash somewhere, it sure ain't in the engine compartment. Oh, what fun that will be to pull out. Meanwhile, I've discovered you really can't drive in the rain without windshield wipers. Crap, you might have been doing OK in a mist but when a squall hits you can barely find your way to the side of the road.

A guy a couple classes ahead of me at my parochial high school was a bit admired by me for: Having hair length 'way beyond what the school rule allowed (this was the seventies, OK...), Having a primer-gray '69 Charger with slot mags that stuck well outside the jacked-up rear fenders, and to go with it he also drove a matching beater 50's Renault Dauphine (?) with spray-can flames and windshield wipers that were operated by reaching up to a knop on the top of the dash and pushing it left and right. These would be the one pair of windshield wipers that it would be worth having a video of the driver operating. With sound track, of course. He listed his life interest in the Annual as, "beverage" but with a can in one hand and the wiper knob in the other, how were you even able to drive in the rain?

Honey! Perhaps we should upgrade the Cherokee wipers!
                  Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 25, 2012, 08:31 AM.
                  That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	old wipers 002w.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	859879
                    anynone remember the double bladed (top in photo)? ridiculous.

the individual knobs for wipers...that is another oddity in history.
                    today is easy, there was a time where wipers were heavy and manly and stripped posts..also a lengthy chore to fix. The bottom one is my favorite, it has been so long I do not know if they make a metal framed rubber surrounded version anymore. My own must be in a couple of decades. A little windshield is something I miss, the mud pounding 80s subaru is a survivor in the wiper category, tiny windsield..shorter than a 60s chevelle...even with the j-channel arms it does good. heavy enough to wait for wiper motor grease to warm up to gain some speed to carry lugging wipers with weight.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 25, 2012, 09:03 AM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

I had a set of the RainX wipers on the Dakota. Worked great for maybe a month then all the magic wore off and they turned into just regular wipers with some (but not terrible) streaking. I just put a new set of the Bosch on the Diesel and they make no noise at all and wipe OK. That may change after they wear in for awhile but so far, silent. All in all, I agree with Loren - it seems like none of them hold up like they used to. But maybe that's just another "Hell, when I was a boy" thing.

Dan

Comment

I actually like the bosh wiper blades. The Rain-X metal blades are great, but those Beam Style ones they have suck. I got a set of the 72 now and I think I'm going to change them to the bosch marathon blades I seen at walmart today.
                        "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          All in all, I agree with Loren - it seems like none of them hold up like they used to. But maybe that's just another "Hell, when I was a boy" thing.

Dan
                          Maybe Loren will tell you about how he made a bicycle out of wood when he was a kid...

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                            Maybe Loren will tell you about how he made a bicycle out of wood when he was a kid...
                            Photos?

Comment

I made mine out of mud. Wood hadn't been invented yet and mud was high tech. I'm tellin' ya, it was TOUGH back when I was a boy......

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X