No announcement yet.

Let's hear it for the Quadrajet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim, have you had a chance to observe change in AFR per elevation change? Would be neat to compare with Randal's observations. From what I am told, the carb is "a little less sensitive" in elevation change compared to the EFI - it would be neat to see how much, and how the Q-jet compares to other carbs.

This is certainly good data and information, keep it coming!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

You guy laugh, when in that guys ford carb thread I put a Q-jet on it.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

IMO, if it's stock(or close to it...) the Q-jet is the best carb money can buy,
        even if it's modified, if set up correctly, by someone who knows all the problem area's,
        and has repaired them, there is no better.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
          You guy laugh, when in that guys ford carb thread I put a Q-jet on it.
          I was an inch away from putting a Q-jet on the Thunderbird before I stuck the TBI on the car.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The only thing I would caution is the "Magic Number" if it was not leaned out enough to surge then backed up it might be able to run leaner yet. The AFR can be fooled by reversion and countless other things not accounted for. I like to tune to a plug or just off the lean surge then use that number to tune to.
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              I was an inch away from putting a Q-jet on the Thunderbird before I stuck the TBI on the car.
              1968 lincoln had a q jet on the 429

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                1968 lincoln had a q jet on the 429
                I have the crap Autolight 4300, which is a square bore, and the 429 got the crap Autolite 4300D, which was a spread bore. Both have a really weird way of controlling idle speed and mixture.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

So who is volunteering to rebuild the q-jet on Bruabs future caprice?
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

The only thing I would caution is the "Magic Number" if it was not leaned out enough to surge then backed up it might be able to run leaner yet. The AFR can be fooled by reversion and countless other things not accounted for. I like to tune to a plug or just off the lean surge then use that number to tune to.

I used to believe in plug reading, but not after I started using 8 O2 sensors.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

There's a bunch of good tuning tools and I think it depends on the tuner.

Remember, the QJ was developed when GM had all the money on the planet and they decided to make a big carb that worked pretty much no matter what. It took a lot of years for anyone to come up with anything better for street use (the Holley, of course, will throw a LOT of fuel into a big motor for cheap). So it's not surprising to me that Jim's works as it should and it's cool that recent technology says it's doing what it ought to. As GM developed this they HAD AFR meters (forerunner of the O2 sensor) and you can bet the farm that they knew these values back when they produced it.

QJ's have their idiosyncrasies, for sure. Loose throttle shafts and leaking well plugs are among the more common but these things are fixable and worth it. Still, it's hard to beat EFI if you have the cash.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
                        So who is volunteering to rebuild the q-jet on Bruabs future caprice?
                        I'll do it!!!

Comment

there is always room for lean. they rich to stay safe to parts during liablity of warranty.

A lesson I learned from a carbed japanese car, as they do not want fat fuel. The lean eats headgaskets, rumbles valves, makes cam knockers..even sounds like the end of the wolrd in the base sometimes....

25 years later on the same engine. well. What in hell is there to worry about.

gm stuff is robust. the same little 278cfm is giant meters, giant power valve, more fuel in the bowl..all bigger for the same job. they underestimated themselves.
                          I look forward to tinkering with it again.

I started driving the year injection came about as a throttle body nightmare. More carbs than anything. EFI got a hold in a weird way...
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I found one on the floor in my buddys garage,he didnt even know it was there. I gave it to another friend for a 78 Malibu.It works great and cost the rebuild kit and float.I really dont think there is a better carb.

Comment

Who wants to build a CCC Q-jet for me to put on say, a GM ZZ430HP 350 or a similar engine?
                              GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

A/F seems to be doing pretty dang good Jim?
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X