Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Co-Worker got boned on a truck "dea" what are some of your stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-Worker got boned on a truck "dea" what are some of your stories?

Co-worker bought pretty much a lemon 00' Silverrado for $11,000. Went to one of the local dealerships and they printed out a carfax report about 9 pages long cause he can't afford it now and wants to trade it in:

-He's the 6th owner
    -Started it's life up in Canada as a fleet truck
    -The Transmission/ECM got replaced at less then 1,000 miles
    -J-Titled out of Upstate NY and got taken back by the dealer Moyle Chevy.
    -It was bounced from auction to auction till it ended up in wilkes barre stealership.

He's got plans to go after the dealer that sold him the truck now.

The truck is only worth $2,000 now by a trade-in at Fairway near my house and the problems with the truck is going to cost more then it's worth. I hope it works out for him and he can afford it, cause if he tries to ask me for money I'll give him a black eye

What are some of your guys stories?
    Last edited by Runner1972; January 25, 2012, 12:08 PM.
    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

insurance can keep these things going.

even the little subaru I kept from junk has things that I would like to see written. At least you have a car report.

ever encountered uranium dust in a clutch?

it is called nuked. people use the term elsewhere, without literal, when it comes to a loss.

insurance is as evil as it is falsely handed out.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Insurance is one thing, but to have that cut-rate insurance that covers nothing is another. The truck's frame looks like it's ready to cave it considering it was never protected. Like all the people I know around here, they don't want to take the time to protect. I undercoated the impala every year since I got it from my dad, if it wasn't for that time and effort I put in the car would have been junked years ago.

Now, this summer is going to be body work and if it takes awhile to do I don't care.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

A while ago, we were talking about making a Honda plug and play ECU at work. Jerry found what looked like a super clean, low mileage '95 Civic, although the hood looked like it had some hail damage. I ended up paying for the car and using it as my daily driver. Well, it wasn't long before I found the PO had done a lot of shady things with it.

First, had a flat tire - seems to have been one of that epidemic of faulty Chinese valve stems. Went to change the flat, and WTF? There's no jack... and the spare is the wrong bolt pattern.

Then, I was too busy to do a brake job and took it to a mechanic. The mechanic calls me later that day and explains that somehow the driver's side brake rotor is 1" larger than the passenger side. Seems it had been wrecked and put together pretty well - but with the wrong parts.

Oh, and the A/C switch developed a problem where it would only come on if the interior temperature was below 90 degrees, so it only worked when you didn't need it.

Glad to be rid of that one.

Comment

My wife bought a 1999 Mercury Cougar brand new.... You never want to change an alternator on one of those. Seriously, just crash that thing into a pole and collect the insurance if it comes to that.
          Last edited by bishir; January 25, 2012, 01:40 PM.
          Powertour off/on since 2002
          sigpic

Comment

Shit, I wouldn't purchase any used car from a dealer without a Carfax. $11,000 was already too much for a 12 year old truck. KBB probably says about $4-5K trade in and from past experiences it seems like dealers take that number and cut it in half because they know that new vehicle is just burning a hole in your pocket.

My own experience similar to your friends was back when I was about 23. My 70 bug's carb float stuck (modified engine) and the car burned. Bought a 76 Rabbit with a fresh paint job at the VW dealer. After a few days I notice daylight at the bottom of the pass door. Checked the weather stripping only to find a piece of heater hose glued to the bottom of the door to fill in the gaping gap between the door and rocker panel. Yeah the car got hit pretty hard. Everything went wrong with that car. Burned oil from worn valve guides, hat the head rebuilt. Replaced the distributer because the bushing were shot, head pipe cracked and fell off while driving. Carb screw just broke in half from I don't know what. Got hit pretty hard one night on the Harlem River Drive in Harlem one Friday night. When I got the car back from the shop, they said the car was twisted from a previous accident and had to straighten out the whole car. Got it back, waxed it and traded it in on a new car and cut my losses. That was the biggest POS I ever owned in my life!
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

2000 Grand Prix GTX. car was fine till i found the hidden rust when the plastic side molding fell off and the trans died

this was after i replaced the lower intake gasket
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Looked at a 93 S-10 at Rinaldi advertised in the Auto Locator with lower-ish miles and in good shape. My brother and I went to look at it, drove it, and pretty much decided it has been crashed and repaired poorly. The paint looked decent but I'm pretty sure the truck was at its meager load limit in bondo alone. We told the salesman we decided to pass on it. He got reeeaally huffy about it and started all manner of tactics to change our mind-- most memorably the line "I gave up a Saturday to come in and show you this truck, and now you're saying you are backing out?" Umm, buddy, we never said we were coming to buy it, we wanted to come and look at it. We didn't really care if it was you or some other Skook that handed us the keys for a test drive.

That experience left a pretty bad taste in my mouth for dealing with a used car dealer in the coal region. Think I will stick to dealing with people south of the Blue Mountain when possible.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                  Looked at a 93 S-10 at Rinaldi advertised in the Auto Locator with lower-ish miles and in good shape. My brother and I went to look at it, drove it, and pretty much decided it has been crashed and repaired poorly. The paint looked decent but I'm pretty sure the truck was at its meager load limit in bondo alone. We told the salesman we decided to pass on it. He got reeeaally huffy about it and started all manner of tactics to change our mind-- most memorably the line "I gave up a Saturday to come in and show you this truck, and now you're saying you are backing out?" Umm, buddy, we never said we were coming to buy it, we wanted to come and look at it. We didn't really care if it was you or some other Skook that handed us the keys for a test drive.

That experience left a pretty bad taste in my mouth for dealing with a used car dealer in the coal region. Think I will stick to dealing with people south of the Blue Mountain when possible.
                  I heard bad things about them too, same with fairway and carlotta credit auto sales.

My friend awhile back bought a coal truck, a 90's W150 with a 318 and a power steering pump full of Lucas Power Steering stop leak. I didn't know that stuff froze and looked like a orange sorbet of toxicity if eaten. The floor is another problem and i'm surprised the seat hasn't fallen out of the truck yet.
                  Last edited by Runner1972; January 25, 2012, 04:39 PM.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

we catch em on the used car inspection
                    unless they really want to sell it

Comment

apparently you haven't seen my thread in Tech about Damage #3
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by bishir View Post
                        My wife bought a 1999 Mercury Cougar brand new.... You never want to change an alternator on one of those. Seriously, just crash that thing into a pole and collect the insurance if it comes to that.
                        I don't know...Nothing I was not able to do with a 1/2" drive impact and around 3 feet of extensions.
                        I elected to take a hole saw, drill the frame rail on contour, and run the same thread grade 8 metric bolt in from the passenger side.

The service manual called for pulling the half shaf, exhaust, what a crock. Can be dropped out w/o disturbing the other stuff. Why the hell it was not placed up top like a taurus is beyond me.

Personally, I think back to a girl I was with many moons ago, she had an 2-10 with a 2.8. She kept running it low of oil, and sure enough, I was following her on the interstate on a long sweeping right bank and oil slick and BOOM.

Her mom had a 4.3 4x4 S10 blazer. Sure enough, mom lunched the 4.3 in the blazer from the same deal. Not long after doing that, and getting a replacement 4.3 from GM, she lunched the transmission.

My mom, don't know what it was with her and 3/4 ton chevy trucks...Never have I seen her kill BOTH axles on our '79, loose the brakes and wreck the truck twice, and then the '85 3/4 ton GMC she toasted the crate 350, the OD trans blew up at least twice, and she killed the rear axle on it.

I know people give me shit for loving my Fords...but I am plain jaded when it goes with GM stuff. I like the muscle cars and such, but just not impressed.
                        Andrew
                        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

there are guys here who get the same truck in trade for 25 bucks , a jacknife , 2 cases of soda and a happy meal

Comment

I've only bought 2 used cars as daily drivers and have been lucky so far. One was the blue Montego for $800 16 years ago and it's only been on the hook once. The Crown Vic has basically been a good car, only one bad coil and a blown spark plug in 2 years. I like it but don't love it like I thought I would so I'll keep driving it until it starts to get expensive to fix. I've known people who have gotten totally screwed on used cars but it was out of total ignorance.
                            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

On the flip side the last used car we bought was a 06 Freestar with 76,000 miles from a used car dealer just about 2 years ago. It was clean, drove nice and had a clean Carfax. It now has 120,000 and runs like a top. Only 2 minor problems. A bad brake light switch that would turn the brake lights on when it got cold out and a bad wiper switch. Found out it shares the size size tires as Crown Vics. Got 4 almost new Firestone Firehawk GT police pursuit tires that are 6 ply and W speed rated for $220 mounted balanced and old tires disposed of.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X