Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the Kid registered for High School today.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the Kid registered for High School today.....

And the wife had to pull me out of there or we would have never left.......We decided to send our oldest son to a Vocational school that is within our school district, they have a huge Automotive program along with many other vocational programs for him to experience......After we got him registered we took a walk over to the Auto Shop building, it is Huge!!!!! They do both auto body repair and auto mechanics, which consists of a brakes and suspension class, an electrical class and a engine performance class, which all have their own classrooms....We talked with one of the body shop teachers and he showed us around...They have a Very nice spray booth and are in the process of redoing a '55 chevy, they had an old Metropolitan in the spray booth and a few other old cars getting the body work done....After that we met the Auto Electronics teacher, he mentioned something about pin outs and I brought up that I just finished building a MegaSquirt and that is when he was like I built one of those years ago...So we kind of hit it off in that aspect, then on the way out of that classroom we ran into the engine performance teacher, he's an older guy and someone I could have talked to all night, hence the reason the old lady pulled me out of there......And they have a chassis dyno!!!!, the auto electric teacher even offered the use of it to tune the MegaSquirt and said he'd be willing to help me out if I have any problems.......Anyway pretty stoked about the school and my kid seems to like it to.......
    Last edited by TC; January 26, 2012, 10:13 PM.

what time is flat rate class ?

Comment

Man I thought it would have been because the guy from NBC ask you to come over and sit on this stool and asked why you had beer in the Bag
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

pretty cool stuff Alex.

I wonder, as Spidey does, whether or not they teach the students how to run a business as well as be good at their trade.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          pretty cool stuff Alex.

I wonder, as Spidey does, whether or not they teach the students how to run a business as well as be good at their trade.
          yeah keep automotive as a fun hobby ..

Comment

I'm supprised you were allowed to be with in 300 yards of a school! LOL

I spent a few weeks out-side of San Frisco working a job fair trying to get one of the "school sponsorships"
            After a day or so there I started to notice how clean everything was, to clean as a matter of fact. They spent a ton of time in a classroom and because of varrious reasons their shop time was limited. Usually the reason the teachers gave was insurance, or missing parts.....the students said the teachers never let them do anything. The shop was full of "teacher projects" and the parking lot was full of "student projects" that they had towed in and never got to work on. Maybe things have changed, and I hope your kids experience is better.
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

liability insurance

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                liability insurance
                And waiting for the UPS guy to bring that box of saftey glasses.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

can't leave momma's breast without safety glasses

Comment

I hope your boy's experience is a good one. We had a pretty good auto/metal shop/wood shop set up in our HS (but we're talking mid sixties) and we had a ball and learned a TON. I was interesting - our Auto Shop teacher really didn't know much and we spent a lot of time teaching him how stuff worked. He had the book learnin' and the teaching degree and we had the laying-in-the-mud-at-the-side-of-the-road hands on experience. I'm not sure if it was his first year teaching or just his first year in Auto Shop but he sure needed an education and we tried to give it to him.

Our metal shop teacher was one of my favorite teachers of all time. His name was Denver Dunn and he was an amazing man. He taught me one of the most important lessons of my life. He was explaining that he was no machinist and "All I can teach you is how much you don't know". That's stuck with me my whole long life.

So anyhow - best of luck on this. It's going to be, at least, a way for the lad to decide what he does or doesn't want to do for his profession.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                      I'm supprised you were allowed to be with in 300 yards of a school! LOL

I spent a few weeks out-side of San Frisco working a job fair trying to get one of the "school sponsorships"
                      After a day or so there I started to notice how clean everything was, to clean as a matter of fact. They spent a ton of time in a classroom and because of varrious reasons their shop time was limited. Usually the reason the teachers gave was insurance, or missing parts.....the students said the teachers never let them do anything. The shop was full of "teacher projects" and the parking lot was full of "student projects" that they had towed in and never got to work on. Maybe things have changed, and I hope your kids experience is better.
                      Where I went to school (now closed) the school only allowed student projects in the shop. The welding instructor was allowed to keep his dune buggy in the shop, but was forbidden to work on it. The school, actually, used the same reason - insurance - as to why the instructors had to do the work on their cars at their own homes. Even so, the completion rate of student cars wasn't terribly high.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I didn't spend time in auto shop till I was a senior, and had a few empty hours to fill (I had already taken all the math/science classes they had to offer by my junior year). The shop teacher was really into cars and had some VWs, a boat with a Chevy 230, and a 57 chevy 4x4. I still see him at car stuff in Tucson, he's built a bunch of older Chevy cars over the past decade or two.

My own experience tells me that getting your hands dirty and breaking stuff is a pretty effective way to learn what the book is trying to teach you.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          Where I went to school (now closed) the school only allowed student projects in the shop. The welding instructor was allowed to keep his dune buggy in the shop, but was forbidden to work on it. The school, actually, used the same reason - insurance - as to why the instructors had to do the work on their cars at their own homes. Even so, the completion rate of student cars wasn't terribly high.
                          The auto body teacher said they run about 230 cars a year through the shop.......Said one guy completed two '64 Impala's in his time there.......They also have 12 students going off to a national Skills competition for body work and the Van Tile corporation(huge car dealer) took on 16 of the kids in a work study program......
                          Last edited by TC; January 27, 2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X