The Lost ART of Change Counting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost ART of Change Counting....

Yes this is an old guy rant, but not really about the act of counting correct change. It's about counting BACK that change and how it was once placed in hand.

This dawned on me today when I purchased 2 cheap plastic drop 'clothes",total $3.71. I paid with a $10 in my hand the change dropped as $5,$1,reciept, and $.29. So whats the bitch,right,I got my money.

In the days of old the cashier would count your change back as either "29 makes 4,1-5 and 5- 10" or even "4 makes 75,25-4,1-5 and 5-10. The key to all this and the basis for my old guy rant? The COINS hit the palm first then BILLS.Why does this matter? If the coins are in hand you can hold them in place and place your bills in your wallet,wallet in pocket,then coins in pocket. With coins on top you have to set your wallet down,slide the coins off the top into your other hand then pick up your wallet,install bills,transfer coins to other hand,pocket coins and maybe move wallet again to put it away.
    I have silently wondered why,for years,putting my money away almost always requires me to place my wallet on the counter,now I know.....
    NOBODY COUNTS CHANGE!!!

I filled one of those 5 gallon water jugs completely with change and it totaled out at just under $2500..........
    Last edited by TC; January 30, 2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Just wait till the gov't installs the micro chip in your hand .... won't have to worry about it anymore ..... LOL
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

It's not an art, it's a simple skill that is fairly easy for most people to pick-up if it were required by employers.

I was taught how to do it, but actually doing it wasn't stressed.

... but don't get me started on pet peeves.

Comment

Cyclone you are so right. Today's youth are not trained in BASIC math. The computer will do the job just fine for them.
          Next time you're at a register with a total like $10.27, hand them $11.02 and watch them FREAK out. Maybe even call a manger. The kids aren't taught the basics anymore.
          But, just watch out for when you can't figure out that new phone you got, and that damn kid shows you how it's done.
          sigpicJohn Castelli
          www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead1218 View Post
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS]But, just watch out for when you can't figure out that new phone you got, and that damn kid shows you how it's done.
            No, thats just a cheap shot on the phone. Don't make this about me....it's the damn coins on top that troubles me!

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              I filled one of those 5 gallon water jugs completely with change and it totaled out at just under $2500..........

And you carried a 5 gallon pail of change ?
              sigpic

Comment

I hate taking coins in change, it is a PITA and not worth the time it takes. If I hand a ten over for a one dollar and thirty-seven cent item, I would be happy to have eight bucks back and hit the road a few seconds sooner. I also prefer to pay with plastic so I don't stand there at the counter fumbling with cash, trying to stuff it back in my wallet. When I price stuff at work for customers, I round it off to the nearest dollar so I don't have to deal with the change.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The answer is fairly simple and obvious... the cashier doesn't want to make contact with your hand... so, s/he places the bills in your palm first, followed by the coins. In today's germ infested world... I may not want to touch your hand either.
                  Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                    I hate taking coins in change, it is a PITA and not worth the time it takes. If I hand a ten over for a one dollar and thirty-seven cent item, I would be happy to have eight bucks back and hit the road a few seconds sooner. I also prefer to pay with plastic so I don't stand there at the counter fumbling with cash, trying to stuff it back in my wallet. When I price stuff at work for customers, I round it off to the nearest dollar so I don't have to deal with the change.
                    That would be fine with me as long as you round DOWN.

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
                      The answer is fairly simple and obvious... the cashier doesn't want to make contact with your hand... so, s/he places the bills in your palm first, followed by the coins. In today's germ infested world... I may not want to touch your hand either.
                      I bet on any given day the BILLS are more germy than my hands,had a girl friend who worked as a teller her figers were black in about 2 hours. They had special soap to clean thier hands.

Comment

I think I created a PeeWee rant thread here.....

n/m

Comment

[QUOTE=gearhead1218;606065]Cyclone you are so right. Today's youth are not trained in BASIC math. The computer will do the job just fine for them.
                          Next time you're at a register with a total like $10.27, hand them $11.02 and watch them FREAK out. Maybe even call a manger. The kids aren't taught the basics anymore.

I do this all the time,my goals? First come home with no pennies,secound,turn a pocket full of coins into bills.

More offten than not I make a $1 on the deal.

Comment

I know I've stuck some dollars in some interesting places while at the strip clubs..........

Just think how many 1's, 5's and 10's in your pocket have Titty Sweat on them...........

Comment

Change then bills. Change THEN bills.

Drives me nuts, too.
                              And we have coins to $1 and $2 as well...
                              Last edited by Teddyzee; January 31, 2012, 09:11 AM.
                              1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                              1997 Mustang GT
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X