Another clay bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another clay bar question

How do you guys fold a clean surface from the inside of the bar? I keep folding mine, and all I'm doing is re-folding dirty to dirty. Let's say it's in the shape of a bar of soap. Can I slice it like bread and put the two dirty sides together? Or is that NOT gonna happen? Thanks
    STUGOTS

I pull off a piece from the chunk, about the size of a gumball. Knead so that its elastic, and the size of about a half dollar. Spray the offending panel and then, using only one side, slide it along the paint in the longest direction of the panel. When I feel the need to fold it I fold the dirty side under, clean side over, fold it again, then knead it back to the half dollar size. I do that over and over and over again. I've never had the accumulated gunk scratch the paint. Usually I end up dropping it and throwing it out first.
    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
      I pull off a piece from the chunk, about the size of a gumball. Knead so that its elastic, and the size of about a half dollar. Spray the offending panel and then, using only one side, slide it along the paint in the longest direction of the panel. When I feel the need to fold it I fold the dirty side under, clean side over, fold it again, then knead it back to the half dollar size. I do that over and over and over again. I've never had the accumulated gunk scratch the paint. Usually I end up dropping it and throwing it out first.
      YIKES! Size of 1/2 dollar? It'll take me a year to do my 38!
      Last edited by groucho; January 31, 2012, 05:43 PM.
      STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
        YIKES! Size of 1/2 dollar? It'll take me a year to do my 38!
        Bourbon Thursday is coming up ! (Early Times for me please)
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
          Bourbon Thursday is coming up ! (Early Times for me please)
          You got it
          STUGOTS

Comment

It really doesn't take much time at all. Provided that there isn't a lot of crap embedded in the paint.

For instance, on the Fox Mustang, the front fender wouldn't take me more than 10 minutes. As soon as I feel the surface stop pulling on the clay on move on. Usually not more than a stroke or two. I can't imagine it taking more than 2 hours on a normal car.

Now when I had to remove the Lizardskin overspray, that took a bit of time, but man the car looked great when I was through. I couldn't believe that it would pull that stuff off. It just took worrying the drops from multiple directions until it pulled it completely off.
            I'm still learning

Comment

You know, it occurs to me that you may be using too big a piece and not "feeling" the paint surface. I hold the half dollor sized piece with three fingers and slide it along. I can easily tell when the surface is done and to move on. I also keep the surface very wet. There is never any clay transfer to the paint. If there is, the surface is not wet enough.
              I'm still learning

Comment

I would help for... Bourbon Thursday
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                  I would help for... Bourbon Thursday
                  Come on down. Cocktails/BBQ/slot cars. It's where drinking and driving is encouraged
                  STUGOTS

Comment

The clay bar should have been cut into smaller pieces from the beginning.

You can knead it and fold to get the clean side...

Knead and fold.

Comment

Working...
                    X