No more Car Craft for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Car Craft for me!

Used to be one of my favs as a kid. I won't buy it again. Late model Mustangs (not even the newer better looking body style), silly cop cars, and a not so good looking set of fenderwell headers(I think they called em fenderWALL headers) took up several pages in a build article. Oh, and they want TWENTY NINE DOLLARS for their new T-shirt. Is this really what the new generation reads? Maybe it's me. But, it and Popular Hot Rodding are crap to me. Discuss
    yes
    63.64%
    no
    36.36%
    STUGOTS

I haven't read that latest offering as of yet, but they do seem to be straying from their "bucks-down" roots. Could be that they're widening their offerings to attract new readers.
    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

used to buy it ..but the innerweb has replaced all mags
      too bad , thought glad was doing a good job ..mustangs are total weenie
      Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; February 2, 2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

It sure seemed awful thin, when I took it out of the mailbox, I thought half of it was missing. Ill stick to the rodders Journal, hot rod deluxe and the good-guys Gazette.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I let the subscriptions to all my magazine go about 5 years ago. Between all the ads, '69 Camaros, Mustangs and mega buck builds, I'd had enough. Now I got Bangshift!

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
            Used to be one of my favs as a kid. I won't buy it again. Late model Mustangs (not even the newer better looking body style), silly cop cars, and a not so good looking set of fenderwell headers(I think they called em fenderWALL headers) took up several pages in a build article. Oh, and they want TWENTY NINE DOLLARS for their new T-shirt. Is this really what the new generation reads? Maybe it's me. But, it and Popular Hot Rodding are crap to me. Discuss
            I subscribe to CC and still enjoy it. Subscriptions are dirt cheap, partic with the 'special offer' deals. So even if a couple or three months a year have no contnent of personal interest it's not like subscribers have really wasted a lot of money.

Used to subscribe to PHR and always enjoyed Johnny Hunkins -- he wasn't afraid to go against the grain and do his own thing. But I accept a lot of folks weren't fans. There still seems to be a lot of fellows stuck in a 1990s Freiburger-era CC nostalgia rut.

The CC DIY "fender-wall" header article was a Steve Magnante piece...set in the context of a 1980-ish Mod-motored Fairmont AFX-clone. Not eveyone's cup of tea, but I expect CC (like other mags) is sensitive to the all-Chevy/all-LS/all the time rant that is so common. Hence the (excess of) Mustang articles, altho Mustang fans surely aren't disappointed.

Fenderwall? Fenderwell? Whatever...

CC has consistently been about the same length for a few years: 90 pages give or take. I don't think this compares unfavourably with other enthusiast mags.

I think we're fortunate to have as many options as we do.
            Last edited by mlcraven; February 2, 2012, 05:43 PM.
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
              CC has consistently been about the same length for a few years: 90 pages give or take. I don't think this compares unfavourably with other enthusiast mags.
              Im sitting here comparing it to Hemmings Muscle Machines, same amount of pages( 90 cc to 96 HMM ) Its not even close, in quality or quantity . Hemming is on batter paper, and more diverse. This is my opinion, and with that said , Ill get another 3 yrs of CC. Thats ok with me , but I wouldnt buy it off the shelf.

the hemmings muscle machine car feature this month
              1970 Boss 302
              1969 roadrunner
              1961 Pontiac Catalina 421 421!
              1973 javelin (modified)
              1971 buick gs 455 stage 1 (restoration)
              1966/67 chevelle buyers guide
              Reading , Pa
              Good Guys rodders rep.
              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
                Im sitting here comparing it to Hemmings Muscle Machines, same amount of pages( 90 cc to 96 HMM ) Its not even close, in quality or quantity . Hemming is on batter paper, and more diverse. This is my opinion, and with that said , Ill get another 3 yrs of CC. Thats ok with me , but I wouldnt buy it off the shelf.

the hemmings muscle machine car feature this month
                1970 Boss 302
                1969 roadrunner
                1961 Pontiac Catalina 421 421!
                1973 javelin (modified)
                1971 buick gs 455 stage 1 (restoration)
                1966/67 chevelle buyers guide
                I don't disagree with anything you say...I subscribe to HMM and it's a quality product, but arguably targets a different demographic.

My point is that lots of folks call CC out for how few pages it has...IIRC it's even been derided as a 'pamphlet' on this site. Maybe that's true compared to 5-10-20 years ago (although I have my doubts) but page count over the last few years has remained fairly stable.

I stand by my earlier assertion -- we're lucky to have the diversity of enthusiast mags and internet content that exists today, catering to every budget and all facets of the hobby. With a lot of fine writers, young and old, to make it all happen.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Get Kinnan over there...

Comment

hemmings muscle machines is all restoration ..I want a street racer book

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      hemmings muscle machines is all restoration ..I want a street racer book
                      Enjoy.

Super Street is dedicated to covering import street cars and the street racing scene, drifting cars and competitions, the latest import car models, reviews, features on JDM cars, plus import events, tuner parts and accessories from around the world.

Comment

I don't even look at it on the stand anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                          imports are toilet paper

Comment

I've been a regular subscriber of CC and HR since 2004. I don't know what CC was like before then but here's what I have to say:

CC's funny car-inspired Duster and Magante's AWB Fairmont should be front and center. Their slogan is "Loud. Fast. Real." and the mag should live up to it! I think these boys need to ramp up the attitude and make a stance. Quit trying to please everyone.

Include regular updates about project cars. CC really pissed me off by not following up on their Rambler build. Why would anyone want to stick with the mag if there's no hook? Sometimes the mag feels a little too generic.

More tech. I like the inclusion of Mod motors, including McGann's Crown Vic, but please give us some real tech articles. I really appreciated the article on sleeving their cracked Dart Little M block. The article was short, detailed and full of tech - a good recipe.

How about some fabrication projects? The short blurbs on welding and body work (usually written by McGann) are appreciated but why not step it up a notch? Make some tubular control arms, an adjustable spoiler, a gnarly scoop - anything that says, "F-U, this is Car Craft!"

More action. Let's see some wheels-up, sideways, smokey action! The "Burnout" section isn't cutting it. Visit a strip, follow racer (local or abroad), go on a short road trip but, please, show us more stuff hauling ass on the street or track.

New rule: all featured cars must be drag tested or run on an autocross. The lack of validation in PHR made me drop my subscription to that mag ASAP. CC is usually reasonable about including dyno charts but I'd like to see more testing. Without testing all you're doing is slapping on the latest whiz-kid part without giving a sh!t about performance. LAME.

Go easy on the paint and body stuff. I know all the editors point out that these special issues increase sales but it feels like I'm reading the same article every time. You know what's more boring than watching paint dry? Reading about watching paint dry.

Keep on keepin' it real. I like that CC isn't afraid of showing ugly welds, flawed body work or broken parts. As a hobbyist, imperfection is something you deal with all the time and seeing the crew's skills progress is cool.

And "no," I will not pay $29.95 for a shirt.

Comment

you missed the late eighties early 90s lost car craft days -resto muscle and imports

Comment

Working...
                              X