Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving blood

For years I have given blood.....for the past several at the local
    blood drive at the hospital......by the Red Cross.
    I like helping others and it's healthy for you.

I travel so it's a pain to try to get in and get out
    to be back on the road.....and they're not all that
    organized.

I tried the scheduling thing at the Red Cross center but what
    an experience that was.

Well this morning I tried something new.....went to a place
    called Mississippi Valley Blood Center.
    Man what a difference......check in was quick, sat in a comfy
    recliner and hardly felt the stick.
    In no time I was out of there.

I assume this is private enterprise.......they said they've been at
    that location for couple of years and they were busy when I was there.
    Last edited by Monk; February 3, 2012, 12:55 PM.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

I gave blood religiously everytime that I was able until last year. I signed up to give a double red cell donation, went through all the screenings and found out I couldn't give because I went to Cozumel on vacation. So now I'm out. If I go to Cozumel for vacation, which I do every year, I'm excluded from giving for a year.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Mexico is on the no go list now?

bummer - that's going to eliminate alot of possible donors.

I've got it easy - they came to Honda, they come to Ford, I don't even have to leave work. There are certainly better nurses and not so good nurses - but for us men folk especially - it's a really good thing for your health - not to mention how many folks it helps
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I've never heard it was a health benefit to donate - why is that ?

I used to give 3-4 times a year at my wife's church (she is extremely hard to find a vein) but the last time my pulse rate was too high and they couldn't take me. Since then I've been a slacker and have not signed up.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
          I've never heard it was a health benefit to donate - why is that ?

I used to give 3-4 times a year at my wife's church (she is extremely hard to find a vein) but the last time my pulse rate was too high and they couldn't take me. Since then I've been a slacker and have not signed up.
          Here's one article

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Thanks Thom -
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

I think of it as a partial oil change....
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I've given blood a few times over the years, even once at a car show, but it simply doesn't sit well with my body. I'm thinking too low of a body fat content or something and not liking the blood loss, in any case it messes me up for a while. =/
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  In the olden days it was considered a treatment for illness to literally drain the vein.
                  I must watch too much History Channel.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                    I gave blood religiously everytime that I was able until last year. I signed up to give a double red cell donation, went through all the screenings and found out I couldn't give because I went to Cozumel on vacation. So now I'm out. If I go to Cozumel for vacation, which I do every year, I'm excluded from giving for a year.
                    Yeah, it's generally a no-no for a year if you go somewhere there might be malaria.

I'm regularly in the Caribbean, Mexico and South America for work, so I haven't been able to donate for a few years now.
                    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Years back I was told that they wouldn't take blood from diabetics but have since been told that that's not true. Maybe the criteria changed? Anyhow, since the heart stuff they REALLY don't want mine. ME gave gallons until she checked positive for hepatitis - never had it, just tested + for it. So we're no longer bleeders. Still, THANKS for all of you who can and do.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

I gave blood in basic training in the 90s.
                        then a bad wreck in 1995, operated on for 17 hours..and I took back in alot more than I gave away.

it hasn't been but 5 years since then that my desire for red meat and recovering the invisible problems has laid off a little bit.

a bad dose is not a good one.. yet they found no errors with me.

I was at 5 ft 8 for years afterwards, just the past couple am back out to 5 ten. it even changed my innards. I am alive, and donating is obviously a must do. I don't think I can ever give again however.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 3, 2012, 08:27 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I am barred from donating blood or plasma. Why? Simple, I was stationed in Germany back in 89-91, and there is a concern over Mad Cow disease. I used to give all the time on active duty back then, but now nobody wants it. The wife donates every couple months, really wipes her out. Didnt bother me at all, not even a little sleepy from it.

Comment

I haven't donated in awhile, need to rectify that soon. Doesn't bother me a bit either, I don't even get light headed or anything. I just friggin hate needles so I look away until after the blood sucking vampires have stuck me and I'm good.
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                              I haven't donated in awhile, need to rectify that soon. Doesn't bother me a bit either, I don't even get light headed or anything. I just friggin hate needles so I look away until after the blood sucking vampires have stuck me and I'm good.
                              I know what you mean about needles. I stick myself 3-4 times/day for insulin shots and I've gotten used to that but it's just subcutaneous. Still, when they draw blood for lab tests (they do me a LOT) I still can't look - and it's been 30 years, +/-. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

Thanks for doing the donations anyway. Courage isn't the lack of fear, it's having the fear and doing the deed anyway. You, my friend, are truly brave.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X